Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Reasons why Linux is better then Windows and 5 distros to try out for beginners

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 2,796 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:16 AM

Posted 21 July 2015 - 05:30 PM

Since there are quite a few Linux goers here I decided to re post this topic I made for a windows forum i visit as most of the list remains true, though I will note some changes I made to this list.

1 It is developed by communities: Microsoft values self interest and self importance.
What you say about windows doesnt matter to them, they only care about the bottom dollar.*

Linux however has no corporate interests, and even the distros maintained by companies such as Redhat offer an open ear.
2 Choice: Microsoft wants you to use whatever they want you to use, they dont care if you want it or not.
Linux however does offer choice and if you dont like it you can change it.
3 Ease of use: Yes I actually consider linux easier then windows, the only time windows seems easier is when you have certain hardware and need drivers for it.
But for codec installation and software installation I dare say Linux is easier.
The reports of windows being easy is merely an illusion.
4 open source: Open source is the best method when it comes to software development. It can take ages just to get a simple bug fix to communicate in a closed source environment.
I always get updates and never have to wait eons for security patches, Windows and its closed source model leaves so many opportunities to exploit bugs.
5 No need for antivirus, defragging, or any of the nonsense you see in windows: Sure Linux has its security issues, in fact its rather big news when it happens that has graced linux systems. But security issues are an every day thing in windows, thus why its not noticed.**
No OS is bulletproof, but i often feel safer and more secure using linux.

As for some distributions you can try well I have quite a few that I think a windows can jump into with only a tiny learning curve:

1 Linux Mint: The easiest Linux distro for people to use bar none, with a windows XP like UI it is a system that comes with codecs and all the bells and whistles you need.
2 Zorin OS: Zorin is mainly targeted at windows 7 users and actually offers Wine to use some windows applications by default
3 Netrunner: A nice windows like distro, fast and clean.
4 Ubuntu: Ubuntu is the second most popular linux right now, for those wanting to try something that doesnt look and feel like windows this is a good place to start.
While it doesnt offer codecs by default it has tools to get you media playback.
5 openSUSE: openSUSE is one of the key distros in linux, again not offering any codecs but it does feature a nice solid OS.

There other distros to try such as Mageia, ROSA, Fedora and Manjaro, though they all have some quirks I dont like

*This isnt entirely the case right now under Satya Nadella

** I edited out a older bug for linux but the more recent heartbleed was a big concern for many

Edited by MadmanRB, 21 July 2015 - 05:33 PM.

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,239 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2015 - 05:35 PM

I would add one thing. All settings are in the home directory. If one creates a separate partition for /home your settings are kept after a OS reinstall. Windows can't do that. I was looking at the Deepin distro which has a pretty interesting interface. Right now have a dual boot XP + Ubuntu system. Still learning.

#3 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,796 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2015 - 05:40 PM

I would add one thing. All settings are in the home directory. If one creates a separate partition for /home your settings are kept after a OS reinstall. Windows can't do that. I was looking at the Deepin distro which has a pretty interesting interface. Right now have a dual boot XP + Ubuntu system. Still learning.

Yeah thats a favorite feature of mine in linux too, I always keep my /home seperate

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#4 paul88ks

paul88ks

• Members
  • 1,289 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:16 AM

Posted 21 July 2015 - 10:29 PM

I've only been using Linux Mint Mate 17.1 for about 6 months now- I also have Ubuntu Mate installed on my laptop. I found out about Linux on this site trying to solve a problem in Windows7- I sure am glad I came here.

I went through at least 20 distros and had 5 installed on my computer before I finally settled on the aforementioned Os's. I still have my Windows 7- soon to be Win 10,but I hardly ever boot into it.There are a couple of apps I cant get to work in Linux- Itunes being one,but other than that,I use Linux all the time now!

I would also be interested in how you created a separate partition for HOME. I didn't see that option at installation!

Edited by paul88ks, 21 July 2015 - 10:31 PM.

#5 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,796 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2015 - 11:54 PM

I've only been using Linux Mint Mate 17.1 for about 6 months now- I also have Ubuntu Mate installed on my laptop. I found out about Linux on this site trying to solve a problem in Windows7- I sure am glad I came here.

I went through at least 20 distros and had 5 installed on my computer before I finally settled on the aforementioned Os's. I still have my Windows 7- soon to be Win 10,but I hardly ever boot into it.There are a couple of apps I cant get to work in Linux- Itunes being one,but other than that,I use Linux all the time now!

I would also be interested in how you created a separate partition for HOME. I didn't see that option at installation!

Ubuntu and Mint usually do a single partition setup.

If you are still new to linux you may want to learn about advanced partitioning and later use tools like Gparted to help manually edit partitions.

Manually partitioning your disk isnt hard but you need to be cautious not to take windows out by mistake

Here is a good video on it:

I plan on jump starting my youtube account soon where I give tutorials on tools found in linux such as gparted

Edited by MadmanRB, 21 July 2015 - 11:55 PM.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#6 SuperSapien64

SuperSapien64

• Members
  • 869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:16 AM

Posted 23 July 2015 - 01:29 AM

Ubuntu and Mint usually do a single partition setup.

If you are still new to linux you may want to learn about advanced partitioning and later use tools like Gparted to help manually edit partitions.

Manually partitioning your disk isnt hard but you need to be cautious not to take windows out by mistake

Here is a good video on it:

I plan on jump starting my youtube account soon where I give tutorials on tools found in linux such as gparted

Nice. I forgot to do this last time I installed Netrunner OS. Speaking of security Firejail adds a lot more security https://l3net.wordpress.com/projects/firejail/  I've been thinking about making a short thread introducing it but I'm not super savvy I only know how to use the default profiles for it.

And BTW paul88ks Ubuntu Mate is now available for the Raspberry Pi version 2. :wink:

#7 brainout

brainout

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:16 AM

Posted 25 July 2015 - 12:15 AM

ME TOO!  :bounce:

My Top Five Reasons to use Linux, and for a Windows junkie these are killer reasons to use Linux:

1.  You can do a full Linux permanent installation with full persistence to the full capacity on an external drive or stick.  This is a killer reason, because users are turned off (me included) by wubi, dual boot, virtual machines, the different partitioning jargon.  I understand and can relate to those who are fond of the pure Linux experience, since I'm a Bible junkie harping always on ONLY reading it in Hebrew and Greek.  Yet the unwashed majority, don't want to become IT people, to just use our computers.

But Linux doesn't actually require, any of that.  Linux is inherently MOBILE, detects the settings and peripherals at boot, so you aren't stuck with one hard drive and one machine.  Best of all, you don't have to touch your Windows innards, can use it on any Windows or other machine you have (any machine with 1GB or more of RAM).

2.  Linux rescues Windows, or does what Windows cannot do well:  DVD writing, partitioning, mass copying and moving, finding files, onscreen video recording (Kazam, my new best friend), backup, CLONING CLONING CLONING (covered below).

3.  Linux can access and run many Windows 'accessories' and programs directly, often with less hassle than if you did the same thing in Windows, esp. the older 'classic' versions from Win98:  mspaint.exe, notepad.exe, THEMES.exe, many others.  And DOS, using DOSbox (some annoyance in configuring upfront, but worth it).

4.  Linux can make a bootable CLONE your Windows drive, so you can easily take your Windows with you.  Linux can clone drive to drive, stick to stick, drive to stick, stick to drive, image to image, partition to partition, in just about any format you want.  Windows cannot do this, and most of the Windows clone/backup programs, do it with so many convoluted steps, you want to stop using them.

5.  Linux brings an old Windows PC back to life or umbrellas a Windows PC no longer getting security patches (like Win98, XP).  So look: all those old tiny netbooks (and I have two) with 1 GB RAM which are so cute and fit so easily on an airplane tray, but run XP -- can now be 'modernized' and 'firewalled' simply by plugging in, a Linux stick!

I totally and utterly believe that no Windows PC should be sold or used, without a tandem Linux stick made per step #1 (which is an actual installation, not LiveUSB).

That's before I even touch on unique features of Linux which are nicer than in Windows!  :cherry:

If I were younger, I'd develop my own distro (except it would be a LOT like Mint), and market the heck out of it.  I believe strongly that one should charge for Linux, but not for the software (which the GNU/Linux license forbids anyway, nor would I want to charge for the software) --

• CHARGE FOR THE TIME PACKAGING THE PACKAGES,
  • for instructions,
  • for adding little help tooltips on each item, stuff like that. 
  • Add a phone number and a help desk, charge for that. 
  • Make help really help,
  • add a subscription service where one can have x hours time on the phone, or in a forum, etc.  Not, charging for the software, but charging for its usage help and maintenance.  This 'support' could scale up, so a small business wanting onsite maintenance, could get it.  Much like people contract for their PCs.  It's done, but usually not in the context of a whole turnkey package, which Windows users demand (and need, we're not techies).
  • And charge for support, every year fixing what's under the hood.  Leaving any interface changes as OPTIONS a person can choose to adopt or not.

I'm telling ya, small business needs this like a house on fire needs firemen.  MSFT is not catering to small business, they are hamstringing it.  Especially, with Win10 forward.  There is going to be a backlash a year from now so huge, MSFT will never live it down.  I don't want that to happen.  But it will, so NOW is the time to learn Linux to protect your Win7 and prior PCs.

And, I'd want to tweak Linux itself, 1) to have a special option to banish all superuser permissions in a session. Upon signout or shutdown, the superuser is subject to permissions again.  Permissions in Linux are a royal pain and too restrictive, chase users like me away (well, used to chase me away, till I found some workarounds). It's a major reason why the computer savvy stay on Windows, in Windows you can turn all permissions OFF.  Then later turn them on again.

And 2), giving all those directories, Windows-friendly alias names so we could remember their actual names akin to interlinear Bible style (real word in Hebrew Greek in tandem with its translation, so to associate both, contextual vocabulary*).

But, I'm dreaming. :spider .  Too often, the culture is Linux versus Windows, which I believe is flat wrong.  They need each other.  What Linux can't do (run some Windows programs), Windows can do.  What Windows cannot do, Linux can do.  They are each other's, best friend!  That would be the slogan: 

Linux: Windows' best friend.

Or,

Windows:  Linux' best friend.

Top Distros (again, for a Windows user, whose navigational philosophy is the opposite of a Linux purist's):

1.  Mint, esp. KDE or Mate, most like Windows in navigation philosophy.

2.  PCLinuxOS, has all the GUIs like KDE Mate Xfce, Gnome, and plain (console and blank desktop).

3.  Fedora 22 (maybe 21 is better), also with KDE.

4.  Debian, if I could ever get it to work.

5.  openSUSE, if I could ever get it to work (roll your own distro, great idea but the SUSE servers always bomb on me).

Mint is a mix of Debian and Ubuntu, so is PCLinuxOS (the biggest distro I've ever seen in my life has everything including the kitchen sink and six desktops by category, genius piece of work).

*Alexander Hamilton was a big proponent of interlinears.  I have one of his Latin/English interlinears from the early 1800's; his contention was, that when you see words in context in two languages, you learn both better and faster.  That's apparently how he made his living.  If you saw an earlier edit of this post, I had mistakenly typed Thomas Jefferson.  No: it was Hamilton.

Edited by brainout, 25 July 2015 - 01:43 AM.

(Away, Notifications Off) AUDIT PREMISES, my guidon.  -- brainout or brainouty on vimeo or Youtube, domain brainout.net

#8 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 12,904 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:16 PM

Posted 25 July 2015 - 12:31 AM

Linux can access and run many Windows programs directly, often with less hassle than if you did the same thing in Windows.

It can?

Arch Linux .

Come join the fun, chat to Bleeping computer members and staff in real time on Discord.

The BleepingComputer Official Discord Chat Server!

#9 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 7,489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:16 AM

Posted 25 July 2015 - 01:41 AM

Select the "Something Else" option when installing, then create a /home partition by selecting /home in the Mount Point drop-down menu.

mint_install_2.png

It's a major reason why the computer savvy stay on Windows, in Windows you can turn all permissions OFF

Really? I have never heard of that being cited as a reason for "computer savy" people staying on Windows. In Linux you can use the root account and so have permission to do whatever you want, although you would first of all have to enable it in Ubuntu based distros as it's disabled by default.

Puppy Linux is not a multi-user system, and the root account is all that there is.

Edited by Al1000, 25 July 2015 - 01:42 AM.

#10 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 12,904 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2015 - 02:17 AM

Permissions in Linux are a royal pain and too restrictive, chase users like me away

I find Linux permissions a great thing, Quite often I do not even log in, I just use the guest account if I want to surf the net.  Maybe if Microsoft locked down permissions just a bit the OS wouldn't be so easy to infect with Malware.  Why is it so hard to type in a password if you say want to install something?

Linux knew what they were doing when they set up permissions.  

Edit bellow.

PCLinuxOS (the biggest distro I've ever seen in my life has everything including the kitchen sink

Try this, Its 3.7 GiB of Linux.

https://archive.org/details/Puppy_Linux_precise-5.7.1-retro-fatty-2014-jan-csipesz

Edited by NickAu, 25 July 2015 - 02:24 AM.

Arch Linux .

Come join the fun, chat to Bleeping computer members and staff in real time on Discord.

#11 brainout

brainout

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2015 - 02:23 AM

Linux can access and run many Windows programs directly, often with less hassle than if you did the same thing in Windows.

It can?

Yeah, it can.  I'll be doing videos on specific Windows programs Linux can run just from right-clicking the Wine Program Loader ON the very Windows file in the Windows directory.  Will begin, sometime after October.  Or earlier, if I get the time.

If you've got a tester XP (or prior) machine and Wine installed, go into Windows System 32 and right-click using the Wine program loader on mspaint.exe, or notepad.exe or write.exe .  Any Windows program which never 'looks' outside its native directory should work. Maybe not 100%, but in some ways.  I've not tested them all yet.  I did test THEMES.exe from Plus! (Steps here.*  It's a folder in Win98 for changing themes.)  Thus changed the Wine-default Windows color of gray to camel, and font thin Arial 6pt to Franklin Gothic 14pt.  So now my MS Office 2003 looks just the same as it does in Windows proper (I use classic Windows styles, not XP or Aero).

Re permissions: yeah, what you're saying I hear every time.  But I do a lot of file manipulation on my WINDOWS files, not Linux, and I'm sick to death of it not allowing me to copy something.  Sorry.  I understand guest login, and if I want to just surf, I can do that: the vulnerability you speak of is net-related.  But most of my use of the machine via Linux is on WINDOWS files, housekeeping.  The constant Linux prompts for passwords -- despite the fact I'm already part of ROOT group and superuser, admin, the whole bit -- the egregious demand for long passwords with capital letters and number is a royal pain, sorry. It's MY machine.  Let ME worry about MY competence. 

This is my objection to Windows, too. Those forced updates in Win10, the removal of privacy, is enough to make me say no to Win10.  It's also the main objection of others, that we have so many convoluted steps to take, to get OUR machines back in OUR hands.  This isn't a network with multiple users.  It's just ONE.  So let me have my OWN freedom, and it's MY problem if I screw up.  That's a philosophy I share.  I don't need some benevolent overseer to decide what's good for me.

* Same procedure, for Win10, which is the ONLY way I could find, to alter the font faces in Win10.  The 'theme' is considered by Win10 as 'high contrast', as Win10 abandons the user's ability to craft 'Windows Classic'.

Edited by brainout, 25 July 2015 - 02:42 AM.

(Away, Notifications Off) AUDIT PREMISES, my guidon.  -- brainout or brainouty on vimeo or Youtube, domain brainout.net

#12 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 12,904 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2015 - 02:27 AM

right-clicking the Wine Program Loader

Sorry but that's not directly, To me directly means without Wine.

Arch Linux .

#13 brainout

brainout

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2015 - 02:46 AM

@Al1000:  Thank you!

Okay, Nick.  To me it means directly from Linux directly on a Windows file in a Windows directory.  Sorry if my wording wasn't clear!

#14 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 7,489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:16 AM

Posted 25 July 2015 - 02:54 AM

You're welcome.

To me it means directly from Linux directly on a Windows file in a Windows directory. Sorry if my wording wasn't clear!

You have to run Windows applications through Wine, rather than directly from Linux though, don't you?

Edited by Al1000, 25 July 2015 - 02:54 AM.

#15 brainout

brainout

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2015 - 04:29 AM

My Wine is a program IS in Linux, Nick.  Is there some non-Linux version?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users