Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Should I upgrade to Windows 10 from Windows 7 or wait awhile

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#1 Hal06

Hal06

• Members
  • 927 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:55 PM

Posted 21 July 2015 - 05:18 PM

So, HP announced a free upgrade to Windows 10 for Windows 7 users. Should I do so or should I wait awhile?

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,697 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2015 - 05:27 PM

Hi Hal06 :)

We expect a few minor issues with the first release of Windows 10. So unless you want to discover them and deal with them yourself, I suggest you to wait at least a month after the release of Windows 10 before upgrading. If you don't mind dealing with these minor issues and try to solve them yourself or via solutions you find on the web, feel free to upgrade as soon as you can. That's pretty much all there is to it :) Also, make sure that all your programs and device drivers are compatible before upgrading (via the "Check your PC" feature from the "Get Windows 10 app"). If some of them are reported problematic, follow the suggestions (to uninstall them or upgrade them) before upgrading to Windows 10. That's pretty much it.

animinionsmalltext.gif
unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:55 AM

Posted 21 July 2015 - 05:50 PM

We expect a few minor issues with the first release of Windows 10.

I think he means Microsoft (We are not involved, just 3rd party observers), and we will Only try to help with problems "As they arise".

That is why we are a true support and help forum, not advertising or promoting products unless found to be "good and free", by the site owner.

Read this as you will ,,

Again, I only post my opinions, some help, and an odd review of some Deletable programs, if requested by several members.

Thank You..

EDIT (from a M/soft partner posting here) - The only OSs eligible are W7 SP1 and W8.1.

Again read it as you will -

Edited by noknojon, 21 July 2015 - 05:55 PM.

#4 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,697 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2015 - 05:53 PM

By "we" I'm talking mostly about me and a few users here in the Windows 10 section. Quite a lot of them here are aware that there will most likely be issues with the first release of Windows 10, but we also think that they'll be fixed really quickly. It's not the first time that this question is asked here, and not it's not the first time that this kind of answer is given too :)

animinionsmalltext.gif
unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#5 Norseman143

Norseman143

• Members
  • 300 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:55 PM

Posted 21 July 2015 - 06:41 PM

I wonder if the people at Microsoft will be watching this forum?

#6 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,697 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2015 - 06:42 PM

We do have Microsoft MVPs on BleepingComputer, but they aren't working for Microsoft. And we also have one user which is a Microsoft employee that is part of the Staff here, but it doesn't means that he's watching threads about Windows 10, nor reporting anything to Microsoft.

animinionsmalltext.gif
unite_blue.png

#7 Norseman143

Norseman143

• Members
  • 300 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2015 - 06:52 PM

Well. I would think when 10 starts going out on the 29th, people who have problems will come here to see if anyone else is having the same problems.

I know I will.

If I worked for Microsoft,I would want to see all the feedback,both good or bad.What better place than here?

#8 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,697 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2015 - 06:53 PM

Microsoft also have their own forums which are quite active, even thought it's true that BleepingComputer and other UNITE and ASAP forums are a good place to get feedback on Windows 10.

animinionsmalltext.gif
unite_blue.png

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,646 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2015 - 09:43 PM

9 reasons not to upgrade to Windows 10 -- yet

Good points on holding off on upgrading right away other than maybe Windows Media Center and Gadgets which are a security risk.

#10 Drew1903

Drew1903

• Banned
  • 1,052 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2015 - 11:52 PM

One can always assume there are going to be problems or issues.  One need not presume the OS is being released on the 29 full of bugs, either.  There has been a lot of long hard work by many to maybe in fairness give the 29th some optimism.

windows 10 is an on-going endeavour.  Certainly, there are many who are welcoming the new Platform & what it brings to the table.  There is a good chance much of the cynicism & being leery of 'something' may not apply... there may, actually, be lots to warrant a glass half full view.  Many, with good reason, are excited about Windows 10.   And anxious for the 29th.  Many who have 'tasted it' really like it.  Wait if one lies but, it sure is nice!  And just one more week to wait for the 'real thing' instead of beta Builds.  It's good, now, it'll be good later, too. 

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,646 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2015 - 07:12 AM

Personally, If my computer had Windows 7 and all my applications were running fine I would not be in a rush to update knowing I had a year to think about it.

#12 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,697 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2015 - 07:15 AM

Even Windows Vista will get security updates until April 2017. So no need to rush.

I would trade a Windows Vista anyday for a Windows 10, RTM or TP :lol:

animinionsmalltext.gif
unite_blue.png

#13 Erndog

Erndog

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:55 PM

Posted 22 July 2015 - 10:00 AM

Windows 10 - Microsoft is sending out updates for 10. An icon appeared on the taskbar or my desktop????  Computer started running slow could not use windows update cause 10 stopped updates.. Had to go into installed updates and remove update. This caused me to update browser run virus scans and sfc/scannow which showed corrupted files after scanning and rescanning i was able to get these files repaired...  :luke:

#14 malynensi

malynensi

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:55 PM

Posted 22 July 2015 - 10:07 AM

I have read this announcement too. I just don't know what to do so I leave it there and never do anything about it.

#15 Drew1903

Drew1903

• Banned
  • 1,052 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2015 - 11:45 AM

Personally, If my computer had Windows 7 and all my applications were running fine I would not be in a rush to update knowing I had a year to think about it.

Sure, except the year is not going to change much... 10 will, still, be better than 7, have & do more things & 7 will eventually go to way of the dodo bird whilst 10 will endure.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users