Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Tool Removals

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,001 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:50 PM

Posted 21 July 2015 - 03:52 PM

Hey guys, I would like to know the proper way to Uninstall Tools.

Right now would be:
AdwCleaner
Rfkill
FRST
CCleaner

I'm guessing with these it is okay to just Delete them?  Any help very appreciated.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 21 July 2015 - 04:01 PM.
moved from Am I Infected to the appropriate forum

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:50 AM

Posted 21 July 2015 - 03:57 PM

Hi there,

CCleaner can be uninstalled from Programs and Features, or if it's the portable version then just delete the folder.

To remove AdwCleaner, launch it and press Uninstall button.

Rkill and FRST can be deleted like normal executables.

Alternatively... to remove AdwCleaner, Rkill and FRST all in one go, do this.

Download DelFix from here and save it to your Desktop.
  • Close all running programs and start DelFix.
  • Make sure all available options are checked.
  • Click Run.
  • DelFix will remove the most of the tools used during the cleaning process.
Regards,
Alex

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,600 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2015 - 04:27 PM

AdwCleaner and CCleaner are useful to have. Is there any reason why you want to remove them?
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#4 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,001 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2015 - 07:58 PM

First off thanks very much to Alexstrasza again!  I will bookmark this post/thread.  I always figure to look at the folders in Programs first to see if there is an Uninstaller etc. but still learning.

quietman7, I was fixing a computer for a friend that can't afford to have it worked on.  I didn't want to have any extra programs on there to confuse him or clutter up any folders.  I also have a windows 7 laptop so this was a good learning experience for me to know how to fix my own pc.  These tools were awesome and will be looking to donate to the creators.  My friend might donate something to me also, but not sure.  In that case I will be able to donate more, it was mostly a learning experience for me, and, already cost ME money out of pocket not to mention a massive amount of time involved.  I would like to join the malware team here if possible, and this was my first real attempt to fix a windows pc on my own.  Now have an idea of what I am getting into, you see.

thanks for all the help!

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,600 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2015 - 08:13 PM

Since this was a friend I would think you would want to explain and teach them how to use those tools. That why they can include them in their weekly/monthly maintenance plan, especially CCleaner which has nothing to do with malware removal.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#6 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,001 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2015 - 11:55 PM

I will certainly take that into consideration, although I'm not sure he is the type that wants to learn this stuff.

I thought that CCleaner was a little dangerous to use.  I researched most of what was found to the best of my ability before clicking Clean.  Like with the Registry, I have read that people run into issues Cleaning those.  Please tell me your experience with CCleaner as I was a bit Leary using it, but, it did a great job as far as I know.  I had to use some other tools to fix some important files but don't know what caused that, have not looked at the files yet.  It was an issue with the Updating.  I ran the "Windows Update Trouble Shooter" it would not fix one issue so ran "System Update Readiness Tool" then ran sfc /scannow in the command line and all was fixed.

I am trying to teach him the basics right now and see if he is interested, one step at a time.  Clearly someone was doing some really careless downloading so I was starting there.  Along with some basic computer knowledge how often do run scans and such.  We'll see how it goes, if he is interested I will point him here and try to guide him a little.  I provided him with some tutorials on safe surfing and basic security.  I will turn him on to as much stuff as he wants and to my ability.

I did not even leave MBAM on there as he wont know what to do when the trial runs out, and really, neither do I lol.  Need to go over to MBAM site and read up.  The only AV that he has now is "avast free" so I will take any advice you think I should pass along.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#7 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2015 - 01:21 AM

I did not even leave MBAM on there as he wont know what to do when the trial runs out, and really, neither do I lol. 

In that case, it reverts to MBAM Free, an on-demand Malware scanner. In all of my years of running this software, have never had issues with it 'quarantining' the wrong item. In fact, it's a great supplement to most mainstream AV's or Internet Security package (AV+Firewall in one, most cases) & after updating, a weekly Threat Scan should be ran. Make sure in the options that 'Scan for Rootkits' is checked. 

However, if you're insistent, the MBAM removal tool is here. Download the tool, mbam-clean.exe, (in link below also) and follow the directions given. A reboot will be required, as unlike the regular uninstall from the Control Panel, this is a deeper removal of the software. If you're going to remove it, do it right, with this tool, nothing will be left behind. Being that you've already removed it, if you didn't do it with this tool, you should still do so, if the computer is in your possession. 

https://support.malwarebytes.org/customer/portal/articles/1835311?b_id=6438

CCleaner, the only times I've seen it give folks troubles are when messing with the Registry Tool, which shouldn't be bundled in there, yet it's considered to be the 'Swiss Army' of cleaners, so they did include this. Though it's not as dangerous as that of Advanced System Care, only those whom truly knows what they're doing should be using this tool. We at Bleeping Computer doesn't endorse the use of Registry Cleaners, the few dozen or so keys with 'empty' values causes no harm, and is only a nano-fraction of the entire Registry. The only keys that needs to be deleted are those that your installed security finds to be infected, to include MBAM, AdwCleaner, EEK, ESET Online Scanner & most all security tools. It will usually then be quarantined until it's determined to be safe to delete. 

Other than that, CCleaner will do a decent job of keeping your (or your friend's) computer clean & speedy as possible, by getting rid of much junk files as possible, and believe me, these adds up fast on a Windows OS. There is even a Startup tab list, where one can disable or re-enable services as needed. On a computer that's low spec, the more that's not starting with the computer, the better it'll run. And those Temporary Internet Files builds up very fast. I've cleaned some systems that had more than 2GB just of those files alone, not to count the rest, some were over 3GB total. That's a boatload of junk that Disk Cleanup doesn't remove. 

The other thing about those excess files, over time these are hard on the drive, as these needs to be defragged, so it's best to run it once a week or so. Or at least once monthly at the minimum. 

AdwCleaner for most purposes will be uninstalled anyway after a couple of weeks, as the tool will be useless unless a fresh one is downloaded. I run this tool monthly as maintenance, to ensure that my browser settings hasn't been tampered with. However, if not desired, just open it though you're running it, there's an uninstall link in there where the 'Scan' option is, just keep in mind that this action will delete anything kept in quarantine. Chances are, your friend will never know it's there if not computer savvy. 

Rfkill
FRST

These two above, I'll have to let someone who knows more about the tools to assist you. 

Next time, allow the MRT member time to go over which of these needs to be uninstalled, and you'll be given instructions on doing so. Not like in Post #9 below. 

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/582920/compaq-presario-cq62-210us/#entry3761686

If you're backing out of a Topic, at least find out which tools used needs to be cleaned up/removed. 

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#8 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,001 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2015 - 02:28 AM

So, reinstall MBAM.  Should I do a full uninstall first, because I don't remember how I uninstalled?  

Firstly I look in the Programs list to see if there is a "Native Uninstaller", if not and cannot find the Uninstaller online, then I go to the Add-Remove Programs and remove it.  From there I Remove any files associated with it in C:Programs.

I'm sure this is not the way it is supposed to be done, but that is how I have been doing it.

Run disk Cleanup and Defrag, the windows version right?

Rfkill
FRST  

I uninstalled both of these but saved the files, removed from C:Drive also

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#9 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2015 - 02:44 AM

Hi pcpunk,

The MBAM Clean tool (and most other antivirus/antimalware removal tools) will do the remove associated leftover files step that you mentioned if anything happens to be left behind after normal uninstallation. The only exception AFAIK is the Avira Registry Cleaner... it only remove registry keys associated with Avira, so you will have to remove the files yourself.

Windows Disk Cleanup and Defragmenter are ok, but using CCleaner will also remove temporary files in places that Disk Cleanup does not touch. If you want a third-party defragmenter then try Defraggler (also from Piriform).

I uninstalled both of these but saved the files, removed from C:Drive also

FRST and Rkill do not install anything else on your hard drive, so if you saved the files then you still have it on your system. :)

I think you are referring to the FRST folder in the root drive, which is where the tool saves a copy of the registry hive the first time it is run.

#10 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,001 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2015 - 02:51 AM

Another issue is the pc is slow as dirt and he mentioned this.  Not bad after browser is loaded and running, but thought I would  not load it down to much.  I guess running MBAM at the least would be wise, along with the other stuff that don't run in the background.

Understand, this pc is not a big priority to him, and he understands that I am still learning about this stuff.  He said have a go at it, if you mess it up don't worry about it.  Now, I don't want to mess it up...that's for sure.

Low spec pc with only 2gig of RAM: http://www.cnet.com/products/compaq-presario-cq62-210us-15-6-c-900-windows-7-home-premium-64-bit-2-gb-ram-250-gb-hdd-series/specs/

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Celeron+900+%40+2.20GHz

I should have stuck with the Removal of this stuff in the other forum but seemed as though some weren't happy with my approach or something.  Honestly, I want to learn, so is part of the reason I went on my own.

I'm trying to get my feet wet (so to speak) to see if I want to commit to the malware course here.  I think I had some good results for my first time, even though I had some help.  I would really like to learn how to read the FRST Logs, that is just way confusing to me.  I looked at some tutorials on it but there is still much to be learned about reading those Logs.

Thanks pcpunk

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#11 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,001 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2015 - 03:15 AM

Can't download the MBAM Uninstaller, don't know if I need it either.  Always like to start clean though with things so as to know it won't pose a problem.

"Invalid request."

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#12 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2015 - 03:19 AM

The MBAM Clean downloaded fine for me in both links that cat1092 posted.

#13 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,001 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2015 - 03:34 AM

I'll try in another browser later.

I don't know what to Extract with Defraggler, you thing they would make this a little more clear.

2dj4aq9.png

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#14 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2015 - 03:36 AM

You will need to double click on the Defraggler or Defraggler64 (depending on which OS architecture you are running) to start Defraggler.

#15 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,001 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2015 - 03:39 AM

I have 64 but I clicked on the Reg. file and extracted.  What should I do now, thought you guys went to bed, sorry.

Defraggler, is what I clicked on

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users