Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Should I buy a gaming laptop if I won't be gaming?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 PodcasterOfDoom

PodcasterOfDoom

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:20 PM

Posted 21 July 2015 - 12:35 PM

I am looking to purchase a new laptop. All of the things I want and need are in the ASUS ROG GL551JW-DS71 15.6-Inch FHD Gaming Laptop, NVIDIA GTX960MHowever, I don't plan to do any gaming. My biggest requirement is for podcasting, so I need to use Audacity, an external USB microphone and fast upload times. Does it make sense to buy a Gaming laptop if I won't be gaming? What are the downsides?

Laptop or Desktop?

Laptop
My budget for the new computer is: 
$900 - $1,100
What are the primary uses for this computer (IE: mail, web browsing, programming, games, etc)? 
Web Browsing, audio editing (Audacity), watching videos, Word, Excel, listening to sound files, music.
What software do you intend on using on the computer? 
Google Chrome, Audacity, Squarespace, Flash, PDFs, Iphone podcasts and music
Do you play games? If so, what type of games? 
Not really.
Do you tend to have a lot of programs running at the same time, or do you close every program when you are done using it? 
I run a lot of programs at once.
Do you store a lot of pictures or music on the computer?
Yes.

Will you be overclocking?
No

Location for online shopping/shipment/prices?
United States

How many monitors are you planning to use?
Just one.
Do you need peripherals? OS?
Blue SnoBall microphone. I want a DVD burner. I want to be able to run Windows 10. I want to attach an external HD. I would like to be able to attach my laptop to my TV to watch movies. Wireless printing.
Any particular reason why you are upgrading?

My current laptop is five years old. It is slow and running out of memory. I cannot get Flash to work on it. I am looking to upgrade my ability to play video and audio. I would like good sound from the laptop speakers, but it doesn’t need to be great sound. Sound recording is very important for my podcast. I am looking for another computer that will last five years.

I am considering:

ASUS ROG GL551JW-DS71 15.6-Inch FHD Gaming Laptop, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M Discrete Graphics

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:20 PM

Posted 21 July 2015 - 01:32 PM

Welcome to BC!

The downside is you will have a powerful laptop intended for gaming and ' wont be gaming' LOL If you have done your research and determined that the Rog has what you want than there is nothing 'wrong' with going with a gaming laptop.  It it should 'outlast' standard laptops not intended for gaming. Asus' laptops have very good cooling so I cannot see any reason to 'not' go with one.

#3 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,069 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:20 PM

Posted 21 July 2015 - 07:50 PM

Put a seat belt on!  Enjoy!!!!

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#4 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,335 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:20 PM

Posted 23 July 2015 - 03:18 PM

There is no issue purchasing a gaming machine and not using it for gaming.  In your case you might want something that would also work as a game machine to allow better audio manipulation.  The additional RAM won't hurt.  You may be able to use the video card for additional processing.

I'm not a fan of mechanical drives in laptops, but other than that it looks like a good choice.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users