Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Why can't I reserve Win 10 for my Win 7 laptop?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 tyl604

tyl604

• Members
  • 373 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:04 AM

Posted 21 July 2015 - 10:30 AM

Running eMachines E627 w 4g ram and 160g hard drive.  Win 7 Home Premium.  Service Pack 1 is installed.  

Windows updates appear to be current.  However, I cannot get it to reserve Win 10; I cannot get the icon in the tray in order to reserve Win 10.  I cannot see that update KB3035583 is installed as many posts on the internet say is necessary - but I cannot figure out how to install it.

Can you help me get a reservation for update to Win 10?  

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,551 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2015 - 10:31 AM

Hi tyl604 :)

If you go in C:\Windows\System32, do you have a folder called GWX? If so, go in it and execute GWX.exe, does the icon appear?

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 tyl604

tyl604
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 373 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2015 - 11:09 AM

No.  That GWX folder does not exist in  System 32.  This is a 64 bit laptop; would that make a difference?

Edited by tyl604, 21 July 2015 - 11:13 AM.

#4 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,551 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2015 - 11:22 AM

No it doesn't. Alright it means that you don't have the KB3035583 installed. Follow the instructions below.

rONW46K.pngCheck for Windows Updates
Follow the instructions below to check for available Windows Updates and install them:
  • Click on the Windows Start Menu and select Control Panel;
  • From there, click on System and Security and select Windows Updates;
  • Click on the Check for updates button in the left-pane;
  • Wait for the scan to complete and see which updates are found, Important Updates and Recommended Updates (or Optional Updates);
  • Click on X Important Updates (X being the number of updates being found) and make sure that they are all checked;
  • Install every Important Updates found and restart your computer once it's done;

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#5 s1lents0ul

s1lents0ul

• Members
  • 544 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2015 - 11:31 AM

Does uninstalling the KB3035583 update remove the windows logo that is appearing in my taskbar telling me to reserve Windows 10?

Edited by s1lents0ul, 21 July 2015 - 11:31 AM.

==]--s1lents0ul-->

#6 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,551 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2015 - 11:57 AM

Yes s1lents0ul. Uninstalling the KB3035583 will remove the "Get Windows 10" app in the icon tray.

unite_blue.png

#7 tyl604

tyl604
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 373 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2015 - 12:14 PM

All my important updates are current; that is the first thing I tried.  And that did not solve the issue nor did it install the KBupdate.  I tried to find and install the KB update separately and was not able to do so.  Pls refer to my original post. 

All important updates are current and I still do not have it.

#8 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,551 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2015 - 12:21 PM

Open a command prompt, and enter the command below:

wmic qfe | find "KB3035583"

Does it returns anything?

unite_blue.png

#9 tyl604

tyl604
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 373 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2015 - 12:36 PM

Well, this odd.  I opened Windows Update and there was another important update to be installed; it was not KB3035583.  I clicked on update, rebooted, and voila when the laptop started up again - there was the Win 10 icon in the tray.  So I went back and looked at the update history.  Although this was not true thirty minutes ago, now the update list shows that the KB3035583 was in fact installed on July 17.   What???  I carefully checked for it before posting this new thread this morning and it absolutely was not there.  I had also rebooted a couple of times since July 17 after running updates.  Crazy.

So next question - I carefully read the Microsoft info after clicking the Win 10 icon.  It absolutely does not tell me exactly how to reserve Win 10 or if I have successfully reserved because the icon appeared.  Do I need to do anything now?  It looks like Microsoft will just download it automatically on July 29 and I can click to go install it then.   The "instructions" from Microsoft  which started appearing about three weeks ago are really bad; they absolutely do not tell you clearly how to reserve Win 10.  

Do I need to take any additional action now? 

#10 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

Bleeps with the fishes...

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2015 - 12:37 PM

Download & run win10fix_full.bat (Google it) file, found on MS Answers forum, GitHub, Dropbox, etc. 

I dl'd mine from Github here: https://github.com/vlee489/Windows-10-reserve-fixer-/blob/master/win10fix_full.bat

Worked immediately on my Win 7 & Win 8.1 machines.

HTH :)

#11 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,551 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2015 - 12:39 PM

So next question - I carefully read the Microsoft info after clicking the Win 10 icon. It absolutely does not tell me exactly how to reserve Win 10 or if I have successfully reserved because the icon appeared. Do I need to do anything now? It looks like Microsoft will just download it automatically on July 29 and I can click to go install it then. The "instructions" from Microsoft which started appearing about three weeks ago are really bad; they absolutely do not tell you clearly how to reserve Win 10.

Do I need to take any additional action now?

The "Get Windows 10 app" allows you to reserve your copy of Windows 10 simply entering your email address. Just press on the little button in the bottom right corner to change pages and you'll see. Once it's done, if you go in the Windows Updates it'll tell you that your copy has been reserved. Once you reserved your copy, it'll start downloading automatically starting on July 29th and once the download is complete, you'll be notified about it. After you can decide if you want to upgrade right now or delay the operation to a later time. You do not need to take any additional action right now, unless maybe go in the "Get Windows 10 app", click on the little menu in the top left corner and use the "Check your PC" feature to make sure your programs and drivers are compatible for Windows 10.

unite_blue.png

#12 tyl604

tyl604
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 373 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2015 - 01:04 PM

The text and procedure in the Win 10 icon must be constantly under revision.  There is no button or any place on any page for me to input my email address.  I have checked each and every page and then double checked by clicking on the wavy icon on the top left.  Even the page that says Reserve Now gives no way to reserve or input an email address.

However when I look at the Confirm Reservation page it says "Your upgrade is reserved.   There is nothing you need to do right now."  So even though I did not input my email address, it knows who I am.  That is scary.

So I went back and looked at Windows Updates.  Sure enough it tells me that I am in line.

Thanks for the help.  I trust that I am in the queue now.  Not impressed with the professionalism of Microsoft.  

Resolved.

#13 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,551 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2015 - 01:43 PM

No problem tyl, you're welcome :)

unite_blue.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users