Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Please help me figure out why my computer crashed

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 miguelhughes

miguelhughes

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:48 AM

Posted 21 July 2015 - 10:20 AM

Hi guys, thanks for reading this. Earlier today I had a blue screen and the system rebooted. after this I disabled the automatic restart to be able to see the screen next time. The computer fan has been rather high even when doing trivial tasks, so it could be a temperature issue, but I'm not sure how tell for sure if that was the cause of the crash.

I'd like to know the cause of the crash before it gets any worse. I'm posting according to insturctions from here http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/576314/blue-screen-of-death-bsod-posting-instructions-windows-10-81-8-7-vista/ (Great tools to generate reports!)

Answers:

· OS - Windows 8.1, 8, 7, Vista ?  : Windows 7

· x86 (32-bit) or x64 ? : 32
· What was original installed OS on system? : Windows 7 starter
· Is the OS an OEM version (came pre-installed on system) or full retail version (YOU purchased it from retailer)? : its not oem, a technician installed it for me
· Age of system (hardware) : 4 years and 6 months.
· Age of OS installation - have you re-installed the OS? : 1 year

· CPU : intel core i3
· Video Card : not sure... its built in 
· MotherBoard - (if NOT a laptop) : 
· Power Supply - brand & wattage (skip if laptop) : 

· System Manufacturer : toshiba
· Exact model number (if laptop, check label on bottom) : Toshiba satellite L645-SP4003L

· Laptop or Desktop? : laptop

Thanks for your help.

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:48 AM

Posted 23 July 2015 - 08:46 AM

Typically overheating leaves not clear symptoms on the system.

In the case of BSOD's, things are further confused by having to figure out which particular system component caused the BSOD.
Once we figure out (if we're able) which component was at fault, we can then run stress tests to see if we can reproduce the crashes.
Here's a list of some of the tests:  http://www.carrona.org/addldiag.html

Also, monitor your system's temperatures with this free tool:  http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

Normally laptop temps shouldn't exceed:
CPU - 70ºC
GPU - 80ºC
HDD and other components - 40ºC

Be sure to blow all the vents out with canned air.  DO NOT use a vacuum or an air compressor as this can physically damage the system.

Also, be sure to use the laptop on a hard surface, or with a laptop cooling pad.  Keep the vents free and unobstructed.

Beyond this, the reports that you have uploaded are incomplete.  Please upload the rest of the reports in order for us to continue.

Also, it appears that this copy of Windows may be pirated.  If this is the case, please be advised that:

- we may not be able to help as the hacks used to activate Windows may prevent us from fixing anything

- forum rules prohibit assisting with pirated software.  As such we won't be able to help for this reason.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 miguelhughes

miguelhughes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:48 AM

Posted 23 July 2015 - 09:18 AM

Hi usasma. thanks for your complete and thorough answer.

I'll start monitoring with the suggested tools, and take the laptop to have blown out.

I'm sorry that the reports aren't complete, I thought everything was there! But I won't post anything else as yes, it might be unlicensed, and I don't want to cause any trouble for you guys.

Thanks for your help!

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:48 AM

Posted 24 July 2015 - 05:59 AM

Unfortunately we cannot provide assistance to those with pirated software.

Please feel free to post back once you've acquired a legitmate copy.

Good luck!

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users