Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Delayed write fail when copying files to external drive.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 SisterWicked

SisterWicked

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:31 PM

Posted 21 July 2015 - 10:09 AM

When I try to move mid to large size files or multiple files to the drive, I will often get a delayed write fail popup, no matter what the source of the copied file may be. I had heard that this could be due to a usb power issue when using multiple large external drives, but it also does it when files are coming from the internal C drive with all the others disconnected. After the popup, the drive vanishes from the My computer screen, but does not power off or make any reset/powerup sound. After a minute or two, it will pop up the normal 'what do you want to do' message as if it has been plugged in. So far it has not done this when moving files FROM the drive.

I have run several SMART testing utilities, all pass on quick as well as deep scans. The latest was WD Lifeguard tools, which took about 7 hours, no errors reported. 

I am using XP SP3. 

The drive is a SATA 500GB in a Cavalry USB cradle, one of 2. The other is working fine. 

I believe the drive is a Samsung.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,384 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:31 PM

Posted 21 July 2015 - 12:08 PM

If the drive is a Samsung...you should run the Seagate/Samsung utility, not the WD utility.

Run the long generic test, please, using SeaTools for Windows.

User Guide

SeaTools For Windows Download - http://www.seagate.com/support/downloads/item/seatools-win-master/

Louis

#3 SisterWicked

SisterWicked
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2015 - 01:18 PM

Seatools won't run for me. Tried 3 different times and it never detects anything, just hangs on the detecting usb screen til i exit out of it. Got Lifeguard because it works on many different brands. 

Thanks, though.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,384 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2015 - 03:26 PM

If SeaTools doesn't work on a Samsung drive...I'd say that something is wrong with that drive.

You may believe what you want regarding the WD diagnostic.

Louis

#5 SisterWicked

SisterWicked
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2015 - 07:04 PM

Um.. I have two other drives that are seagate and it doesn't detect them either. Does that mean there's 'something wrong' with them? I kinda doubt it. Its a problem with the program hanging, not my drives. This is also a known issue with the program, the non-detection of external/USB drives.. Either way, chkdsk also reports no problems now that I've run that. Anyone else got input?   :(

Edited by SisterWicked, 21 July 2015 - 08:05 PM.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,384 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2015 - 06:29 AM

FWIW:  https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/330174#/en-us/kb/330174 AND http://www.hardwareanalysis.com/content/topic/22061/?o=120 .

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 22 July 2015 - 06:33 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users