Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Workaround for web pages suddenly appearing reduced with JavaScripts disabled

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 midimusicman79

midimusicman79

• Members
  • 472 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:55 AM

Posted 21 July 2015 - 09:17 AM

Hi all!

I have FF as my only browser, because it is actually the only one featuring disabling history altogether. :thumbup2:

Occasionally I unfortunately experienced web pages suddenly appearing reduced – with JavaScripts disabled, and I had to run a system restore in order to alleviate the problem, which however is rather time-consuming and therefore annoying. :(

But now I have luckily found another workaround, which is a "breeze" compared to the above-mentioned one, namely to make a safety copy of a special folder named safebrowsing being "responsible" for this sudden change to FF's settings. :busy:

If using Windows XP, this is its location: C:\Documents and Settings\<User Name>\Local Settings\Program Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\1ajtphld.default or whatever random name your profile name is.

If using Windows 7/8, this is its location: C:\<User Name>\Local Settings\Program Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\1ajtphld.default or whatever random name your profile name is.

I saved the safety copy of the folder on a USB Flash Drive for security reasons.

And whenever this problem may re-arise, I can just copy the folder back in place, as simple as that! :thumbsup:

HTH others as well. :)

Regards,

midimusicman79

Edited by Queen-Evie, 22 July 2015 - 09:02 AM.
moved from Web Browsing/Email and Other Internet Applications

MS Win 10 Pro 64-bit, EAM Pro/EEK, MB 3 Free, WPP, SWB, HMP.A with CryptoGuard, CryptoPrevent Free, SIRI? and Unchecky, WFW, FFQ with µBO, Ghostery, HTTPS Ew and VTzilla. Acronis TI 2017, K. Sw. Upd. AM-tools: 9-lab RT BETA, AdwCleaner, Auslogics AM, aswMBR, Avira PCC, BD ART, catchme, Cezurity AV, CCE, CKS, ClamWin P., Crystal Sec., DDS, DWCI, EMCO MD, eScan MWAV, ESS/EOS, FGP, FMTB, FRST, F-SOS, FSS, FreeFixer, GMP, GMER, hP BETA, HJT, Inherit, JRT, K. avz4, KVRT, K. TDSSKiller, LSP-Fix, MB 3 Free, MBAR BETA, MA Stinger, NMC, NPE, NSS, NVT MRF (NMRF), OTL, PCC, QD, RCS, RSIT, RKill, Rs, SC, SR, SAP, SVRT, SAS, SL, TMHC, TSA ART, UHM, Vba32 AR, VRS, WR (AiO), Xvirus PG, ZAM, ZHPC, ZHPD and Zoek. I have 23 Years of PC Experience. Bold = effective.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:55 PM

Posted 24 July 2015 - 07:46 AM

I wonder if your having the problem of accidentally pressing / holding ctrl. and using the mouse wheel.  My daughter does that every so often and has to call me to remind her what she did and how to fix it. Pressing / holding ctrl and the + and minus keys have the same effect.

#3 midimusicman79

midimusicman79
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 472 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:55 AM

Posted 24 July 2015 - 08:23 AM

Hi, YeahBleeping!

Thanks for the reply and feedback! :)

No, sir, it is an occasional problem which happens randomly "on its own" for no apparent reason; think of it like a PUM of sorts. I have noticed that this particular folder; safebrowsing is copied back in place when running system restore (and since my computer is 9.5 years old, it takes "like ages"), so with this workaround, there is obviously a lot of time to save... :lol: And dot not worry BTW, I plan to buy myself a new one in a couple of months... :busy:

Regards,

midimusicman79

MS Win 10 Pro 64-bit, EAM Pro/EEK, MB 3 Free, WPP, SWB, HMP.A with CryptoGuard, CryptoPrevent Free, SIRI? and Unchecky, WFW, FFQ with µBO, Ghostery, HTTPS Ew and VTzilla. Acronis TI 2017, K. Sw. Upd. AM-tools: 9-lab RT BETA, AdwCleaner, Auslogics AM, aswMBR, Avira PCC, BD ART, catchme, Cezurity AV, CCE, CKS, ClamWin P., Crystal Sec., DDS, DWCI, EMCO MD, eScan MWAV, ESS/EOS, FGP, FMTB, FRST, F-SOS, FSS, FreeFixer, GMP, GMER, hP BETA, HJT, Inherit, JRT, K. avz4, KVRT, K. TDSSKiller, LSP-Fix, MB 3 Free, MBAR BETA, MA Stinger, NMC, NPE, NSS, NVT MRF (NMRF), OTL, PCC, QD, RCS, RSIT, RKill, Rs, SC, SR, SAP, SVRT, SAS, SL, TMHC, TSA ART, UHM, Vba32 AR, VRS, WR (AiO), Xvirus PG, ZAM, ZHPC, ZHPD and Zoek. I have 23 Years of PC Experience. Bold = effective.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users