Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Anyone know how to find the password file for chrome on a hard drive?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 chrisarnt

chrisarnt

• Members
  • 107 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:53 PM

Posted 21 July 2015 - 07:06 AM

My computer died and I had chrome set up to autofill my passwords.  I have about 100 accounts and I cant remember them. 

The worst part is that they are all set to send the password to an email account that I can't access because I don't have the password for it and the security questions are all wrong. 

So, I need to get into the hard drive and locate the file within chrome that stores passwords

HELP!!!

Edited by hamluis, 21 July 2015 - 08:39 AM.
Moved from Gen Chat to Web Browsing/Email - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,664 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2015 - 07:28 AM

Hi chrisarnt :)

If you were logged on Google Chrome back then and saved your passwords in it, they should all be sync'd to your Google account. So logging back in Google Chrome should sync them all back locally. If not, the Google Chrome password file is located in C:\Users\$username\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default and it's the Login Data file.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 chrisarnt

chrisarnt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 107 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2015 - 08:36 AM

Thank you. I found it.  But how do I open it? Which program do i use to actually read it?

Or can I only copy the file and replace it in my new computer? 

They are not synced to my google account

#4 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,664 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2015 - 08:41 AM

I would move the file in the same location as you found it, on your new computer then open Google Chrome.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#5 Teo12345

Teo12345

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:53 AM

Posted 02 August 2017 - 07:20 PM

I did all this just now

Unfortunately it does not work for me

6 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 6 guests, 0 anonymous users