Many, many problems with my desktop. Was about to throw in the rubbish but I would like to keep it running until W10 is released and is stable, then upgrade both OS and hardware. Read other people having similar.
Problems started three or four months ago with 100% CPU usage problems, disk usage light hard on, and memory usage at 70 - 80%. Initially would be in this 'full-use' state for 20 minutes or so, especially but not exclusively at sign-on, during which time Browser unusable, even Explorer would take 2mins to open a folder. Then return to stable, responsive state. I cleaned out Startup Programmes, removed all unnessary services. No change. Removed GWX and Auto Windows Update, restored to previous restore points, etc but same problems continued.
Then problem progressed to a totally non-responsive state, mouse, keyboard, esc, ctrl-alt-del not responding. Only action was to power off. Power on would offer Safe Mode, so chose Safe mode and once up, did a restart, mostly that worked, occasionally would fail and then repeat and repeat until windows would load. I backed up all files, suspecting a progressive failure of the MB, Memory or HDDs.
For the past week, booting up has been a slow repetitive task, having to boot up between 5 and 10 times, just to get to a working windows session. Many times a message 'Windows was unable to boot' and sometimes offered (not always offered) Windows Repair I would follow that route, chosing a previous restore point. No avail, hard boot / no boot problems continued.
Had a BSOD with message Memory-Management (I think) did not copy screen. Bootup problems continued.
After backing up everything, I reloaded Windows 7 (Ultimate) on 17/07 i.e 3 days ago.
OS refresh appears successful (perhaps?) and I managed to load Chrome and Avast, WD Discovery. All new downloads from original sites. Service Pack 1 I have not attempted.
Crashes, 100% CPU usage, screen freezes, mouse and keyboard non responsive - all problems have returned. It took 7 or 8 reboots to get the machine to finally boot up and windows to start to be usable.
· OS - Windows 7 Ultimate (currently no Service Pack 1 - see comments above)
· x86 (32-bit)
· What was original installed OS on system? W7 Home x86, but Ultimate loaded immed after purchase in 2012
· Is the OS an OEM version (came pre-installed on system) or full retail version. Is OEM full - purchased Ultimate from MS.
· Age of system (hardware) 2012
· Age of OS installation - have you re-installed the OS? Yes, in 2012, and again 4 days ago on 17/07
· CPU Dual E2160 1.8GHz
· Video Card
· MotherBoard - (if NOT a laptop)
· Power Supply - brand & wattage (skip if laptop)
· System Manufacturer Generic
· Exact model number (if laptop, check label on bottom)
· Laptop or Desktop? Desktop
Note on running the Collection App, I got a warning: The system was unable to find the specified registry key or value.
Any advice appreciated.