Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Firefox User Profile Problem

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 bgorrah

bgorrah

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:05 PM

Posted 11 July 2006 - 09:12 AM

This Firefox User Profile box keeps coming up!!! Sometimes as often as 3 times a week!!! And sometimes as often as 2 times a day!!!

I right click on the Taskbar & select Task Manager. I then click the process at the top of the screen. I then click firefox.exe. I then click on End Process. When the next box comes up I click Yes.

When firefox comes up again the problem is supposed to be solved but many times it is NOT!!!

Can anyone tell me how I can prevent this annoying problem from happening over and over again.

Posted Image
Systemax Venture SBM 3, Windows 7 Professional with Service Pack 1, Intel Processor, 4 GB Memory, 64 Bit O.S.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:05 PM

Posted 11 July 2006 - 10:56 PM

Have you tried a complete uninstall/reinstall of Firefox.

Note: You will have to go back and redo all of your personal settings (Options), as deleting the Profile folder will erase everything Firefox related.
You will be starting with a clean slate.

To completely uninstall Firefox, you will need to delete your Profile folder.
This file is not removed when you uninstall Firefox from Add/Remove.
It will retain all of your previous settings, and re-apply them to your new install, if it's not deleted.
That's why, when you install a new version of Firefox, your previous settings, bookmarks, passwords, etc., all remain the same.
For a Fresh (start from scratch) install, this folder has to be removed.

You might want to make a copy of the Bookmark.html file, before you uninstall, and save it to somewhere you'll be able to find it.
This is where all of your Bookmarks are stored.
Set windows to show hidden files,
How to see hidden files in Windows
Then navigate to:
C:\ Documents and Settings \ "your user name" \ Application Data \ Mozilla \ Firefox \ Profiles \ default.random characters \ Bookmark.html
And make a copy of the Bookmark.html file

Then you can replace, the new one created, with the old one, you copied.
After you install Firefox, delete Bookmark.html, and replace it with your saved copy of Bookmark.html.
Restart Firefox.
That way, you'll have all of your Bookmarks back.

Now for the uninstall.
Uninstall your current version of Firefox from Add/Remove programs.
Then navigate to:
C:\ Documents and Settings \ "your user name" \ Application Data \ Mozilla \ Firefox \ Profiles
Delete the Profiles folder (or send it to the Recycle Bin as a backup).
Then navigate to:
C: \ Program Files \ Mozilla Firefox, and delete that folder.
Download a fresh copy of Firefox, then reinstall.

Don't forget to replace your Bookmark.html file.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 suretisme

suretisme

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2006 - 07:31 AM

tq1911.....thank you very much for your very detailed reply to my problem. I printed it out but I must tell you, as a "beginner" I am scared to death to follow your instructions. As clear as they are, there are certain instructions I do not understand. For instance, I don't know how to make a copy of the Bookmark.html file. I don't know how to set Windows to show hidden files. Remember back to when you first started and that is how I am now. Again, thanks for your great help.

#4 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2006 - 11:30 AM

I don't know how to set Windows to show hidden files.

Did you read the link I provided above (in blue), or is there something in the link that you don't understand?

I don't know how to make a copy of the Bookmark.html file.

Navigate to the Bookmark.html file, using the directions provided.
Right click it, and select Copy.
Go to your Desktop, and in an empty area, right click and select Paste.
That will put a copy of the file on your Desktop.
After you install a new copy of Firefox, go to the Profile folder and delete the new Bookmark.html file that is in there.
Go back to your Desktop and Copy the Bookmark.html file you put there, and Paste it into the Profile folder where you deleted the new Bookmark.html file.
Now all of your old Bookmarks are back in your Profile folder, just like they were in the version of Firefox you removed.

If you have any more questions, don't hesitate to ask.
I'll try to explain it a different way.

Edited by tg1911, 12 July 2006 - 11:43 AM.

MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

#5 suretisme

suretisme

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2006 - 07:52 AM

tq1911.....sorry, I must be getting too old not to notice what you had already told me. I have printed your suggestions out and will attemp to follow your instructions. Thank you very much for all your help.

#6 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2006 - 12:24 PM

You're quite welcome, suretisme.
Let us know how it works out.

sorry, I must be getting too old not to notice what you had already told me.

No problem.
I know all about the "getting too old" thing. :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users