Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Do I need a new ISP or just a new router?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Boog33

Boog33

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:15 AM

Posted 21 July 2015 - 04:27 AM

My ISP: Qwest

Router: Actiontec pk5000

Getting terrible internet speed. Qwest was contacted but they said there were no available upgrades for my area. I do a lot of gaming so I would like a reliable, decent-speed internet connection. If someone is watching NetFlix, nobody lse can do anything :/

Anyway, thanks to anyone who can help with this.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 gigawert

gigawert

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:15 AM

Posted 01 August 2015 - 03:51 PM

What are you paying for? If you aren't getting what you are paying for, are you on a wired or wireless connection? If wireless, configure your router to use a different channel. Experiment with different ones too to see which one gets the best speed. Then if that isn't working try power cycling your router.

John 3:16

"God loved the world so much that He gave His uniquely-sired Son, with the result that anyone who believes in Him would never perish but have eternal life."

#3 pistol22cal

pistol22cal

• Members
  • 294 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:15 AM

Posted 19 August 2015 - 06:51 PM

What are you paying for? If you aren't getting what you are paying for, are you on a wired or wireless connection? If wireless, configure your router to use a different channel. Experiment with different ones too to see which one gets the best speed. Then if that isn't working try power cycling your router.

This is my question what speed are you suppose to be getting / paying for????

If you are paying for a 10Mbps and all you get is 1Mbps ------ well something is wrong there - have your ISP come and test the line from your home to their junction. See if the line actually tests at the rated speed. If not then the ISP will need to fix the issue.

Edited by pistol22cal, 19 August 2015 - 06:52 PM.

I Love Lamp!

#4 gigawert

gigawert

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:15 AM

Posted 19 August 2015 - 07:01 PM

If you are using wireless, try changing the wireless channel in your router's configuration panel and see if that helps. It did for me!

John 3:16

"God loved the world so much that He gave His uniquely-sired Son, with the result that anyone who believes in Him would never perish but have eternal life."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users