Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I have a dual boot Win 8.1 and Win 7. How to upgrade to Win 10?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Emile

Emile

• Members
  • 123 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:21 PM

Posted 21 July 2015 - 03:59 AM

Hello, 

All is in the titile. 
I plan to first upgrade the Win 7 system, see the result and later the Win 8.1.

Recommendations?

Thanks in advance

Emile Asus P7P67 Pro v3, Intel 1155 3.4 GH, Corsair DDR3 8Gb,PCX Nvidia 560 ti,PCX Nvidia 550 ti,
SSD 120Gb, 2 x 1 Tera SATA6, Dual Boot

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,196 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:21 PM

Posted 21 July 2015 - 05:40 AM

Hi Emile :)

If you upgrade from within the OS, it should only affect your Windows 7 partition, leaving the Windows 8.1 one untouched. It'll also be possible to do a clean installation of Windows 10 (so you could wipe the Windows 7 partition and install Windows 10 on it). However, why would you want to end up with two Windows 10 partitions on the same drive/computer?

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 Drew1903

Drew1903

• Banned
  • 1,052 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:21 PM

Posted 21 July 2015 - 05:50 AM

Hi Emile :)

If you upgrade from within the OS, it should only affect your Windows 7 partition, leaving the Windows 8.1 one untouched. It'll also be possible to do a clean installation of Windows 10 (so you could wipe the Windows 7 partition and install Windows 10 on it). However, why would you want to end up with two Windows 10 partitions on the same drive/computer?

Can I reinstall Windows 10 on my computer after upgrading?

Yes. Once you’ve upgraded to Windows 10 using the free upgrade offer, you will be able to reinstall, including a clean install, on the same device. You won’t need to purchase Windows 10 or go back to your prior version of Windows and upgrade again.

You’ll also be able to create your own installation media like a USB drive or DVD, and use that to upgrade your device or reinstall after you’ve upgraded.

Edited by Drew1903, 21 July 2015 - 05:53 AM.

#4 Drew1903

Drew1903

• Banned
  • 1,052 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2015 - 05:54 AM

Hello, 

All is in the titile. 
I plan to first upgrade the Win 7 system, see the result and later the Win 8.1.

Recommendations?

Thanks in advance

What is the reasoning or point to having Win10 twice in the same box?

If these partitions on are the same physical drive...  Turn it into one whole drive.  Put either W7 SP1 OR W8.1 on it & then Upgrade one or the other to Windows 10.

Keep things simple, people.

Edited by Drew1903, 21 July 2015 - 05:57 AM.

#5 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,196 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:21 PM

Posted 21 July 2015 - 06:45 AM

No idea of why you quoted me in your first post Drew.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#6 brainout

brainout

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2015 - 08:23 AM

Emile, you know that you can install Win10 to another computer, right?  You only have to provide the license key for EITHER Win7 or Win8.1.  Or, which of the two do you have now, that you like less?  Replace 10 with it.  Yet you can do a clean install of Win10.  It's part of the unique 'free' offer over the next 12 months, though I'd bet that installation permission, will continue.

From your wording, I'm not clear whether you've even installed 8.1 yet, or whether you've two computers?  Or two drives you can exchange?

If so, install it (presuming you start with 8.0 in shrinkwrap, and then upgrade it?) to a fresh drive. That's what I did.  I slid out the Windows 7 drive in one of my laptops, inserted a new drive, then installed 8.0, then updated it to 8.1, then partitioned it, and installed Win10 on the second (really third, as the mbr is a separate) partition.  So same machine, but two drives, easily slid out at will.

In short, you could:

• Have Windows 7 and Windows 10 (in that order) installed on one drive/computer (dual boot), and
  • Have Windows 8.1 and Windows 10 (in that order, dual boot) installed on another drive/computer.
  • For you're allowed to have one Win10 per 7 or 8.1: so a total of two Win10's can be installed.  Or,
  • Have only Windows 7 on one drive/computer,
  • Have only Windows 8.1 on one drive/computer. 
  • Or,
  • Have Windows 7 and 8.1 (dual boot) on one drive/computer.
  • Have only Window 10 on another drive/computer.  If a drive, you can insert or remove it from one of the computers.  Here, the original computer it's installed on, is the one it must 'belong' to.
  • Wash rinse repeat for the other computer, another Win10 solo installation.  For you can have, two Win10's.

So the question is, do you have more than one drive, or computer?  Sounds like you do? That way you give up nothing.

Edited by brainout, 25 July 2015 - 08:56 AM.

(Away, Notifications Off) AUDIT PREMISES, my guidon.  -- brainout or brainouty on vimeo or Youtube, domain brainout.net

#7 Emile

Emile
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 123 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:21 PM

Posted 25 July 2015 - 09:22 AM

Hello,

I have one computer x 64 with dual boot, with many drives and a SSD

1/Win 8.1 with all the necessary programs (mail, .....) and Flight Sim Sream game...

2/ Win 7 dedicated to the original Flight Sim FSX since many years... this game is mainly on the SSD

Since many weeks FSX runs only in DEMO Mode (30 minuts) Why? How come? I do not know...If I want this game to run again in Full Mode I have to uninstall it and reinstall it totally from the original DVD and apply all the changes that I have on a backup drive ( a copy of all folders) .. ... 3 to 4 days without mistakes ....

So I decided to use the Win 7 partition with FSX to try the upgrade (free) to Win 10 ... and see what happen ...

If FSX does not work I will delete it and buy/install LM P3d  www.prepar3d.com

I cross my fingers

If this upgrade works (with or without FSX) I can plan the upgrade of the win 8.1 boot partition.

Emile Asus P7P67 Pro v3, Intel 1155 3.4 GH, Corsair DDR3 8Gb,PCX Nvidia 560 ti,PCX Nvidia 550 ti,
SSD 120Gb, 2 x 1 Tera SATA6, Dual Boot

#8 brainout

brainout

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2015 - 11:39 AM

D'accord, Emile.  Sounds like you'd be better off using a fresh drive and only installing Windows 10 on it.  The trouble is, I found no DirectX12, only DirectX10 on the installation.  So if Windows will be adding DirectX12, maybe they will do it later in the year.  Is that partly what you are looking for?

As for correcting your Demo problem, that is a risk.  Why not just install Windows 10 to a third drive, then install your FSX, see if it works?  Windows 10 is supposed to be designed, in part, for better playing of Flight Simulator and 3D games.  Yet I don't see the 3D yet installed.  Point is, this way you protect the Demo while waiting to see if it runs better in Windows 10.  Then if it does, you can either keep it on that drive, or you know what to expect if you install your second Windows 10 on your Windows 7 partition.  Yet I'm thinking even then, whatever is wrong with Windows 7, you don't want 'preserved' by installing Windows 10 on top.  Same, for the Windows 8.1 partition.  Doing it clean on your first Windows 10, might be better than either one, yet you still have the option of doing either one, with your second Windows 10.

Right?

Edited by brainout, 25 July 2015 - 11:45 AM.

(Away, Notifications Off) AUDIT PREMISES, my guidon.  -- brainout or brainouty on vimeo or Youtube, domain brainout.net

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users