Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need new case for under $80

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,222 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:32 AM

Posted 21 July 2015 - 03:48 AM

Okay so for my birthday in september I plan on buying myself a new case.
My current case the InWin Griffin is a good case but its front bezel is hanging on by a thread due to the inner plastic clips breaking off.
But the thing is I need to keep it in a budget, around $80 or under as I cannot honestly afford more then that.
I have bills to pay and recently had to replace my cpu and motherboard, I have a rather large hole in my account right now and while I can fix it between here and September I need to be a little budget conscious.
So things like the define R5, Enthoo Pro, or anything over $80 I simply cannot afford.
Now I have a few choices in mind such as:
The Corsair Carbide Spec-03 "Bane" case
The Corsair Graphite Series 230T Orange
The Zallman Z3 plus
The In Win GT1 (would be a spiritual successor to my current case due to its price point)
The Enermax Ostrog GT
But I do want more suggestions, I do know one of the Define R4 models are priced exactly $80 but I dont like the R4 due to its rather silly door placement as I keep my computer to my right and have no room on my left (I live in a rather small room)

Also keep in mind that i still use optical drives so cases like the NZXT S340 are not on my list, and my motherboard form factor is ATX

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

xu847p-6.png

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2015 - 04:58 AM

MadmanRB,  :welcome: to BC Forums! :)

I have no doubts that you can find a case that meets your needs & budget, have you checked at Newegg & Amazon to see what's available & read in-depth reviews? That will tell you a lot about the case, especially if a few hundred to over a thousand reviews are in. If there's a common defect that's shared by a model, believe me, it'll be published & fast. 

Finding the perfect case is hard to do, fortunately most still has a place for an optical drive & some also includes card reader slot. Though I'd avoid anything at that price & comes with a PSU bundled, chances are it'll fry your system, and also the quality of the case will be very flimsy. Lots of sharp edges & chances of being bent upon arrival will be greater. I've never actually purchased a case, but have read many reviews. 

This was because I'm looking for a tower BTX case, these are darn near impossible to find, other than from Europe. With shipping added, I'd pay more for the case than the PC itself. The reason I want a tower is to add a PSU to install a GPU that I have for more graphics power. There are eBay options, but most all of these are used, $50 is a steep price to pay for a used case. 

Hope that you find something soon.  :thumbup2:

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#3 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3,222 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2015 - 05:08 AM

well i am no stranger to this as the computer I am using is my own build, I am just asking around for some extra opinions.

I normally dont read too much into the general blurbs on websites like amazon or newegg as they are normally first impression reviews, I turn to places like this for some more direct advice.

Proud Vivaldi user.

xu847p-6.png

#4 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2015 - 05:16 AM

How about the Antec Three Hundred?  I've heard good things about it.

3939.png

#5 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3,222 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2015 - 05:40 AM

It is a good case yes from what i know of it, but it is a bit on the out of date side when concerning SSD compatibility

Proud Vivaldi user.

xu847p-6.png

#6 Buzzsaw

Buzzsaw

• Banned
  • 103 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2015 - 12:10 PM

Okay so for my birthday in september I plan on buying myself a new case.
My current case the InWin Griffin is a good case but its front bezel is hanging on by a thread due to the inner plastic clips breaking off.
But the thing is I need to keep it in a budget, around $80 or under as I cannot honestly afford more then that.
I have bills to pay and recently had to replace my cpu and motherboard, I have a rather large hole in my account right now and while I can fix it between here and September I need to be a little budget conscious.
So things like the define R5, Enthoo Pro, or anything over $80 I simply cannot afford.
Now I have a few choices in mind such as:
The Corsair Carbide Spec-03 "Bane" case
The Corsair Graphite Series 230T Orange
The Zallman Z3 plus
The In Win GT1 (would be a spiritual successor to my current case due to its price point)
The Enermax Ostrog GT
But I do want more suggestions, I do know one of the Define R4 models are priced exactly $80 but I dont like the R4 due to its rather silly door placement as I keep my computer to my right and have no room on my left (I live in a rather small room)

Also keep in mind that i still use optical drives so cases like the NZXT S340 are not on my list, and my motherboard form factor is ATX

Madman,

Consider this case, it has some nice noise suppression features. Something that you might like if you want to reduce computer noise.

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/corsair-case-cc9011071ww

#7 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3,222 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2015 - 03:52 PM

I did say under $80, I cannot get that one as its only on sale for a short time and I wont have the money for it by the time I intend on buying the case.

Proud Vivaldi user.

xu847p-6.png

#8 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,157 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2015 - 04:14 PM

Well under your budget, it is the case I have.  Great ventilation, quiet case fan and plenty of room.  Very good wire routing and also set up for water cooling if needed.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811553003

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#9 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3,222 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2015 - 04:18 PM

Yeah I looked at that one, looks quite nice

Proud Vivaldi user.

xu847p-6.png

#10 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2015 - 02:44 AM

well i am no stranger to this as the computer I am using is my own build, I am just asking around for some extra opinions.

I normally dont read too much into the general blurbs on websites like amazon or newegg as they are normally first impression reviews, I turn to places like this for some more direct advice.

MadmanRB, I see where you're coming from. :thumbup2:

It's just that with cases that are popular, many finds flaws in these too, if you settle on one, it doesn't hurt to read Amazon & Newegg reviews. There are numerous issues that could be present, it's the consistent reviews you want to watch for, like the PSU mounting holes may not line up, the cables for many will be too short, jagged or sharp edges, flimsy drive bays, if many are stating these same things, the higher the chance these are legit reviews & not 'first impressions'. 

For example, I'd expect a PC case to have nice smooth edges, like most of the OEM ones has, not be flimsy, have easy access to extra drive bays, I've opened the case of many pre-builts & have never been cut, would expect the very same with a new case. Surely most OEM's doesn't put $80 into their cases, and most can get these right, so can any 3rd party manufacturer of these. 

That said, Antec is held in high regards for their cases, look at the legacy of their 300 series, Cooler Master has some good ones. The Antec Three Hundred Two looks like a well organized case & also has washable filters to keep the dust away. If I needed this type of case, would not hesitate purchasing. 

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129180

$15 below your budget on promo, only a couple of bucks more when not, this is because of shipping. However, if you sign up for Newegg promos, you'll get some codes that's good for many cases, like 10-20% off. 

Good Luck!

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#11 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2015 - 06:30 AM

It is a good case yes from what i know of it, but it is a bit on the out of date side when concerning SSD compatibility

I'm not entirely sure what you mean as to SSD compatibility.  SSD's are compatible with almost every case.  In the event your case does not have a dedicated section for SSD's, you can use something like the BYTECC Bracket-35225 2.5 Inch HDD/SSD Mounting Kit For 3.5" adapter.  I use these in my full ATX Silverstone case which was built before SSD's were quite as common as they are now.  That specific case I linked to is the more recent version of the Antec 300.

3939.png

#12 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2015 - 01:51 AM

DJBPace07, I happen to have that very same adapter! :thumbup2:

Plus a Sabrent (metal based) & Rosewill, also metal based with a cooling fan. If the fan is removed, like both the Sabrent & BYTECC, can be used to hold two SSD's, which I used in this fashion for nearly two years. 

I actually needed the cooling fan for the Rosewill one for the first time ever, as I have a Crucial M550 MSATA SSD, and no matter where I mounted it, even after getting an adapter to convert it into a SATA-3 port one, it would run at temps of 45-55C. On the Crucial site, it's said that this is normal, well it's not to me, especially when my other two runs at 31-32C. Now for the first time since owning the SSD, it falls in line with the rest of my SSD temps. And the fan is not loud as many reviewers states, just a barely audible sound. 

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817997035

Only catch was for the fan to work, had to get one of these, as there are no Molex adapters in the XPS 8700. Those with Molex adapters doesn't need anything extra. Many whom uses 2.5" HDD's will see a much cooler running HDD, if moved into one of these, probably wouldn't go beyond the middle 20C range. 

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812200150

And unlike the picture shows, it must have been an improvement, there's a full white female Molex plug on the end, so that solves the issue of accessories not going in far enough. 

Big difference between 48C & 34C, as far as temps goes. Heat kills sensitive electronics, including SSD's. Though Samsung also says this is normal with their mSATA models, some that has these in notebooks are reporting temps as high as 75C. Must be a flaw in the mSATA design, hope it doesn't carry over to the M.2 type of SSD, plan to get a PCIe one as funds are available. 

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/wXkLgU4yBamvmUoXfEfa3pZ

Cat

#13 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3,222 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2015 - 06:54 AM

Okay so birthday is around the corner and I have chosen, and its a surprise entry.

I am now going to be a owner of a Raidmax Viper GXII as it was on sale at the time of purchase.

I dont have any plans to do a unboxing, as i dont have the equipment for it, plus the old case will be trashed once its here because this thing is falling to pieces.

Proud Vivaldi user.

xu847p-6.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users