Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

WDD My Passport Ultra not getting detected after scan for errors got canceled

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 jyo7

jyo7

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2015 - 01:34 AM

When I connected my WDD my passport ultra 1TB external hard disk, it prompted me for scanning and fixing the errors. I started it and I accidentally canceled the scan. Now my hard disk is not getting recognized. I tried connecting it in a different PC the same prob persists. I tried chkdsk /f in the command prompt but I didn't see any scan results nor did i see any sign of such a scan taking place in the cmd prompt. Just the command was displayed nothing more than that. What do I do? I have many of my office related files and other important stuff in there. I would greatly appreciate the help. Thanks a lot! Kindly help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,051 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:03 PM

Posted 21 July 2015 - 08:15 AM

Hopefully Citizen_WD will notice this post he is a factory rep that may be able to help.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,980 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2015 - 10:07 AM

In Disk Management is the drive listed as RAW?

#4 jyo7

jyo7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2015 - 10:50 AM

Thanks for the reply OldPhil and JohnC_21. In the disk management the hard disk appears as Disk1 (unknown and not initialized). It was working fine till the morning. When that scan for errors appeared I clicked yes and accidentally I canceled it. After that its behaving like this. It is connected to PC and its shown in the "safely remove hardware" too. But its not shown as a properly working drive. And not even the initialize option is visible in the disk management. Kindly help. Much appreciated.

#5 brainout

brainout

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:03 PM

Posted 21 July 2015 - 12:56 PM

Several things, you need to do:

Before going through the below, power off your computer, unplug its power cord, wait a few minutes (so it will stop 'remembering' what it said about your drive, really important you do this) -- then, power back on. After boot, plug in the drive again, see what happens.  Run diskmgmt.msc, and if the drive registers, does it say 'healthy'?  Is there a drive letter?  For if no drive letter, then that's the only problem.  Right click on the drive and look for 'drive letter', click that option, and give it a drive letter which isn't assigned (Windows will suggest one).  That may be the only problem...

If that doesn't work, then at least now you have a drive letter.  So you can run chkdsk /f /r as before, but DO NOT interrupt this time.   It takes a good 45 minutes on that size drive.  The /f switch fixes errors;  the /r switch recovers data.

Now, if that doesn't work, do any of the following, probably (but not necessarily) in the order given.  (You might try 2-4 in Windows, first.)

1. Since you have files on there -- do you have anyone around you who has  Linux DVD or stick?  You can make your own free by downloading the iso (32-bit KDE  or 64-bit KDE Linux Mint,  or Mate 32-bit or 64-bit; these are most like Win7/XP): but it takes at least an hour.  When you burn the iso to DVD, power off and leave the DVD in there.  Power back on;  takes a full 10 minutes or more to boot, so be patient. After it boots, click on the lower left corner to access the menu.  You might have to click a second time, as there is lag. Find 'Caja', which is a 'File Manager'.  Plug in your Ultra.  It should register, if the drive is okay.  You should be able to copy your files to some other drive.  Keep the DVD as this 'rescue' is something you'll need again for other Windows problems. (Linux is Windows' best friend.)

There's also a program in Mint called 'GParted'.  It can test your WD for errors.  But you shouldn't need to run it.

After you've copied off your files, then disconnect the other drive you copied to, look for 'Quit' in the menu, and select RESTART.  You'll be prompted to remove the DVD.  Do that, leave your WD Ultra connected, and hopefully you'll just reboot in Windows.  At this point, Windows might recognize the drive. Sometimes after a Linux session, whatever was wrong in Windows' memory, gets flushed.

If Linux fails to read your drive, then

2.  Maybe your cord is bad.  I have WD Ultras, and they are famous for bad cords.  I just purchased another blue Tripp Lite, because it is more stable. So change to that or some other 3.0 cord just like the WD but not a WD cord, power off and then back on, connect the drive and see if you get the same results.  If yes, then

3.  Maybe your computer has too little juice.  That's a frequent problem with Ultras.  So instead, you need to plug it into a separate hub.  I plug one of mine into a Dell monitor hub which is 2.0, but that doesn't seem to alter performance.  Or, I plug it into an Anker 3.0 hub with its own power source.  That works well.  (A higher version is here.).  So change to that or some other hub, power off and then back on, connect the drive and see if you get the same results.

It should work by now, in Linux.  But in Windows,

4.  Maybe Windows needs to look for the driver, which is WD-SES.  So then go in Device Manager, see if that's the driver, and if not, uninstall the driver that shows, disconnect the drive and power off the computer.  Turn it on after waiting some minutes, then after it fully boots, connect the WD again.  Windows should prompt you with a query about what driver to look for, or it might just find it this time.  XP forward, this is how to do it.  Works for me, anyway on each machine where I've had the same problem.

5.  If it still doesn't work, seems like Windows marked your drive as inoperable, so run diskmgmt.msc (Start Menu Run).  If it says the drive is 'Unallocated', right click and select 'Format'.  This will destroy your data.  It will give you an NTFS option, take that.  If this works, then the scan will not be needed.  Your drive may then be recognized, at which point you have to give it a drive letter, for it to be accessible.

Hope this helps.

Edited by brainout, 21 July 2015 - 01:40 PM.

(Away, Notifications Off) AUDIT PREMISES, my guidon.  -- brainout or brainouty on vimeo or Youtube, domain brainout.net

#6 jyo7

jyo7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2015 - 01:41 PM

Thanks a lot for your reply brainout. Much appreciated. I tried the 2 to 5 points that you've mentioned. It doesnt seem to be working. I uninstalled the driver and installed it again, still there's no change. I even tried to format it through the WD driver utilities it says there's an error. Its showing that there is WD passport ultra that is connected but its showing that it has 0mb and free is 0mb and allocated is also 0mb when I check under the device manager->properties->volumes. I really don't have any clue as to how to format it too as its throwing errors. I will ask a few of my friends if they have the linux DVD. I'm not much of a computer savvy. So I'd have to ask around for the Linux dvd.

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,980 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2015 - 01:43 PM

I believe your partition table and or file system became corrupted when you backed out of chkdsk. Download the Windows version of Testdisk here. Unzip to a folder on  your desktop and double click the Testdisk.exe file to run the program and do a Quick search on your external drive. Because Testdisk is based on linux the description of your external drive would be sdb if you only have one internal disk. 

Edit: When you run Testdisk it will scan and list all your disks it detects showing the sdX designation and size of disk. From that list you should be able to see which disk is your external.

Do not write anything. Just do a Quick Search and if the partition on the external drive are not detected do a deeper search. Highlight the partition(s) found and press the "P" key. Are your files listed?

Here is a page on using Testdisk. But do not write a partition table as shown on the site. Your priority is to recover your data and then try to repair the partition table.

If your files are listed by pressing "P" post back and we can go through the process of copying your files to your internal drive.

Edited by JohnC_21, 21 July 2015 - 01:49 PM.

#8 jyo7

jyo7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2015 - 03:05 PM

Thanks a lot for your reply JohnC_21. Initially I tried without connecting the hard disk in the testdisk software. 1 disk and 2 drives were shown. Even after connecting the hard disk, the same disk and drives are being displayed. Does this mean that my hard disk is corrupted and not at all recognized by this software? Could you please tell me how the hard disk(if it is recognized) will be displayed in this software?Also SDA and SDB is not being shown in the test disk. I saw in wiki the step by step procedure in the link that you have suggested.

Attached Files

Edited by jyo7, 21 July 2015 - 03:12 PM.

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,980 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2015 - 03:36 PM

How big is your external drive? It is 1TB. Sorry for the confusion. When running Testdisk from a linux disk you would see the sda designation.

Edit: what happens when you run a scan on the physical disk? 

Edit Edit: You can download a linux distribution called Parted Magic which should detect the 1TB drive. I am not sure why Testdisk for windows misses it. Download the iso file  for Parted Magic here . If you have a CD right click the iso file and select Burn Disk Image. On your Computer create a new folder on the desktop called Recovery. Boot the Parted Magic disk. Double Click the File Manager and browse to the Recovery Folder. It would be in your Users folder under the name you login with. Click on the Recovery Folder to open it. In the menu bar select Terminal as Root. Then at the prompt type Testdisk. Does Testdisk detect your 1TB drive?

Edited by JohnC_21, 21 July 2015 - 03:43 PM.

#10 jyo7

jyo7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2015 - 03:55 PM

I will get a CD and do it and will let you know in the morning JohnC_21. Thanks a lot for your response. Before the hard disk was at least displayed in the "safely remove hardware" on the notification panel in the task bar. But when I tried now it wasn't even visible there. I will check it again in the morning and will let you know John. Thanks a lot for your help. Really appreciate it.

Edited by jyo7, 21 July 2015 - 03:56 PM.

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,980 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2015 - 03:58 PM

Hopefully Parted Magic will detect the drive. Fingers crossed.

#12 brainout

brainout

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2015 - 04:00 PM

jyo7, it won't be visible if it has no drive letter.  Did you try diskmgmt.msc?  That's the only way you can assign a drive letter (well, in Windows).

Okay, my fingers crossed too, waiting to see what you say. Am here.

Edited by brainout, 21 July 2015 - 04:01 PM.

(Away, Notifications Off) AUDIT PREMISES, my guidon.  -- brainout or brainouty on vimeo or Youtube, domain brainout.net

#13 jyo7

jyo7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2015 - 04:12 PM

Several things, you need to do:

Before going through the below, power off your computer, unplug its power cord, wait a few minutes (so it will stop 'remembering' what it said about your drive, really important you do this) -- then, power back on. After boot, plug in the drive again, see what happens.  Run diskmgmt.msc, and if the drive registers, does it say 'healthy'?  Is there a drive letter?  For if no drive letter, then that's the only problem.  Right click on the drive and look for 'drive letter', click that option, and give it a drive letter which isn't assigned (Windows will suggest one).  That may be the only problem...

If that doesn't work, then at least now you have a drive letter.  So you can run chkdsk /f /r as before, but DO NOT interrupt this time.   It takes a good 45 minutes on that size drive.  The /f switch fixes errors;  the /r switch recovers data.

Now, if that doesn't work, do any of the following, probably (but not necessarily) in the order given.  (You might try 2-4 in Windows, first.)

1. Since you have files on there -- do you have anyone around you who has  Linux DVD or stick?  You can make your own free by downloading the iso (32-bit KDE  or 64-bit KDE Linux Mint,  or Mate 32-bit or 64-bit; these are most like Win7/XP): but it takes at least an hour.  When you burn the iso to DVD, power off and leave the DVD in there.  Power back on;  takes a full 10 minutes or more to boot, so be patient. After it boots, click on the lower left corner to access the menu.  You might have to click a second time, as there is lag. Find 'Caja', which is a 'File Manager'.  Plug in your Ultra.  It should register, if the drive is okay.  You should be able to copy your files to some other drive.  Keep the DVD as this 'rescue' is something you'll need again for other Windows problems. (Linux is Windows' best friend.)

There's also a program in Mint called 'GParted'.  It can test your WD for errors.  But you shouldn't need to run it.

After you've copied off your files, then disconnect the other drive you copied to, look for 'Quit' in the menu, and select RESTART.  You'll be prompted to remove the DVD.  Do that, leave your WD Ultra connected, and hopefully you'll just reboot in Windows.  At this point, Windows might recognize the drive. Sometimes after a Linux session, whatever was wrong in Windows' memory, gets flushed......

When I opened the disk management, the hard disk was displayed like "disk 1(unknown and not initiated)" and the when I tried to right click on the disk 1, that initiate option is also not in a usable state. I will try your first option in the morning and will let you know. Thanks for your response brain out.

#14 jyo7

jyo7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2015 - 04:17 PM

Hopefully Parted Magic will detect the drive. Fingers crossed.

Yeah. My fingers are also crossed. I'm struggling with this since the morning and its gonna be almost 15 hours. Hope I'll get some solution when I start fresh in the morning. I will let you know John. Thanks for your reply. :)

#15 brainout

brainout

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2015 - 06:03 PM

Okay, jyo7, when you come back here:  I think I understand what's going on.  When you started but didn't finish the scanning, Windows unmounted aka took 'offline', your drive.  Because the process didn't finish, Windows has sorta labelled your disk as being 'offline', to protect it.  So what follows below, is to get the disk ONLINE again.  At which point, you will be able to scan and fix it and recover your files, okay?

The 'failing to initialize' is actually a good sign.  It means that a) the machine CAN detect your drive, but it first needs to be initialized (their word for 'mounted').  So connect your WD, then

1. Go to Start Menu, find "Run" then click on it.  The following commands you are to type, are in caps; but you don't have to use caps.
2. Type DISKPART and hit Enter.
3. Type : LIST DISK. This results in a chart that shows you all the connected disks; the offline one, is your WD. 
4. Now select it by typing SELECT DISK plus its disk number in the chart.
5. Now enter command ONLINE DISK.

6. Then, type EXIT, and the black box disappears.

7.  Now again select Run from the Start menu, and in its box, type diskmgmt.msc .  You should see your WD disk listed as 'online'.

8.  What does it say?  Is there a drive letter?  Right click and see if you get an option in darker font, saying you can create a drive letter.  If yes you can, click on that option.  Windows will offer a suggested drive letter ID, which you should accept.

9.  Leaving that window open, now click on your File Explorer aka Windows Explorer, then click on Computer and see if the WD shows up.

10.  Now, again select Run from the Start menu, and in its box, type 'chkdsk /f /r x:' where 'x' is the drive letter you got in Step 8.  That command means to scan the disk for errors, fix them, and recover any broken files.  It's really good at doing that.

11.  WAIT for chkdsk to finish: it will take an hour, maybe more.  Windows will /fix and /repair/recover your files, okay?

12.  When it ends, open up File/Windows Explorer again, and double click on the drive.  That should open it so you can see your precious files. :)

13.  Then go back to the diskmgmt.msc window from Step #9, and select its 'Action', then select 'Refresh'.  Your WD drive should show up just like your other drives. :)

Sorry this is so complicated!

Edited by brainout, 21 July 2015 - 06:12 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users