Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Stephen Hawking launches biggest-ever search for alien life

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,246 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:31 PM

Posted 21 July 2015 - 01:08 AM

British cosmologist Stephen Hawking has launched the biggest-ever search for intelligent extraterrestrial life in a 10-year, $135 million project to scan the heavens.

Russian Silicon Valley entrepreneur Yuri Milner, who is funding the Breakthrough Listen initiative, said it would be the most intensive scientific search ever undertaken for signs of extraterrestrial intelligent life

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-07-21/hawking-launches-biggest-ever-search-for-alien-life/6635296

Arch Linux .

Come join the fun, chat to Bleeping computer members and staff in real time on Discord.

The BleepingComputer Official Discord Chat Server!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Guest_JWebb_*

Guest_JWebb_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 21 July 2015 - 01:17 AM

I used to think this guy was intelligent.

Now he seems to demand results in his lifetime.

#3 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,490 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2015 - 01:50 AM

I think they need to focus on mapping the star systems with planets in the goldilocks zone. Then read the composition of the atmosphere of those planets to further narrow down which ones could support life. Then direct radio telescopes to listen in on those specific ones. As people say, it's like finding a needle in a haystack. Well, technically you can find a needle in a haystack. You just need a large magnet. :hysterical:

Edited by technonymous, 21 July 2015 - 01:53 AM.

#4 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• Topic Starter

• 13,246 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:31 PM

Posted 21 July 2015 - 02:31 AM

I think they need to focus on mapping the star systems with planets in the goldilocks zone.

I respectfully disagree with the goldilocks zone theory,  We base that on the only thing we know. The Earth.

Then read the composition of the atmosphere of those planets to further narrow down which ones could support life

Human life or Alien life? When It comes to Alien life the possibilities are endless,  There is a chance that we may not even recognise it when we see first see it. 

Arch Linux .

Come join the fun, chat to Bleeping computer members and staff in real time on Discord.

#5 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,490 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2015 - 06:51 PM

I think they need to focus on mapping the star systems with planets in the goldilocks zone.

I respectfully disagree with the goldilocks zone theory,  We base that on the only thing we know. The Earth.

Then read the composition of the atmosphere of those planets to further narrow down which ones could support life

Human life or Alien life? When It comes to Alien life the possibilities are endless,  There is a chance that we may not even recognise it when we see first see it. 

Of course we have to go by what we know. It's the best we have. Life seems to flourish in a balanced area. Of course microbes can survive in boiling water and ice cold water, but that is still H2O which is a whole lot different than extreme elements and temps of planets outside the golidlocks zone & inside a dead zone. Like Venus that's 800F, acid rain, 95% carbon dioxide atmosphere. Or Pluto -250 frozen planet. Scientists want to drill through the ice of those frozen planets down to warmer waters. The keyword WARMER. IMO it makes no sense to look for microbes on a frozen planet on ass end of space. Yes, you might find some there, but we're talking about intelligent life not microbes. It makes more sense to search for one that is Earth like with lquid water and oxygen/nitrogen in the goldilocks zone. That is where the resources needs to be spent. People tend to forget that we're on a planet orbiting a star. So why wouldn't you use Earth as a example? It means everything. We're a on a living breathing planet filled with life surounded by dead planets with no life. That's a no brainer.

#6 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• Topic Starter

• 13,246 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:31 PM

Posted 21 July 2015 - 09:44 PM

Meanwhile............................

Pluto channel 6 news flash.

A strange object the size of a baby grand piano nearly collided with Pluto today, There is some speculation that it came from the 3rd planet in our solar system.

Scientists were quick to point out that there is no possibility that it came from the 3rd planet because of the hostile and toxic environment, 

Like Dr Bralg Iceliver said " That place is just too hot to support life, Oxygen is the most toxic substance known to Plutonians, And what's with all the melted ice that covers most of the planet. How can anything live there.

Edited by NickAu, 21 July 2015 - 09:45 PM.

Arch Linux .

#7 brainout

brainout

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2015 - 03:35 PM

..but the baby grand was wondering, when I hit the ground, will I look like those petunias?

(Away, Notifications Off) AUDIT PREMISES, my guidon.  -- brainout or brainouty on vimeo or Youtube, domain brainout.net

#8 JohnnyJammer

JohnnyJammer

• Members
  • 1,117 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:31 PM

Posted 23 July 2015 - 08:27 PM

I am a strong believer that we must remove "Time" or "Human Time as we know it" from any equation when it comes to travelling large distances.

Time is something that humans have created and I don’t think we need to think of time when distance is involved.

Things such as worm holes interest me big time and as someone who watches as many docs about the universe as I possible can, I think of a few things that could achieve galaxy hoping.

There would have to be something out there that lives and breathes besides us on earth, to think otherwise is just plain stupid IMO.

I always had my own theory of the big bang.

I suspect the big bang keeps happening, the universe expands and then shrinks again resulting in another big bang. What started it, I have no clue but it sure wasn’t a God or a Human (God) like creature.

I also think that when a black hole swallows everything and nothing is left, this triggers a big bang.

Also since I was 10 I had a theory that Aliens as we know them are simply our future looking/travelling back in time (Human time) to monitor or even teach their future students (Imagine teaching history by going back to that point).

When I think about time travel (I know I said we need to take it out above LOL), the only way I could see this happening is to be at the point where the earth was travelling through the universe.

As we are being flung our/expanding, if you could be at that point say 1000 years ago would you see the earth 1000 years earlier? Is it even possible that space is like a memory stick and holds an image of space time?

PS: These are just my insane thoughts of space, the galaxy and time (I love the possibilities of anything being possible).

EDIT: I just thought of that scene in Waynes world where they are sitting on the bonnet of the car at the end of the run way looking at the stars, thats me big time maaaaaaaaan. !

Edited by JohnnyJammer, 23 July 2015 - 08:39 PM.

#9 violetrose

violetrose

• Members
  • 180 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2015 - 08:44 PM

Enjoy!  :alien:

http://www.msn.com/en-au/news/techandscience/16-signs-were-sure-there-are-aliens/ss-AAdmFqx?ocid=mailsignout#image=1

Cheers!  :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users