Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

desperate for help with ethernet

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 TgxLEGENDz

TgxLEGENDz

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:21 AM

Posted 20 July 2015 - 09:41 PM

sorry this might be a little bit short on details as i have had to type this three times now due to a slow connection. i am trying to set up an Ethernet cable that runs to my bedroom from my living room. i am using a cat 6 Ethernet cable that is about 70 feet long. i hooked everything up and i am told that i am connected to an unidentified network, and that i have "no internet". i open up the network and sharing center and diagnosed the problem and i am told that the Ethernet doesn't have a valid ip configuration. i tried ipconfig /release and then ipconfig /renew in my command prompt and i am told that no operation can be performed while its media is disconnected. i also looked at all my other adapters in my command prompt and their media state is also disconnected. please help. i am building a desktop soon, and i would really like to have the Ethernet cable in my room so that i don't have to buy a WiFi card

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 6,040 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:21 PM

Posted 20 July 2015 - 09:55 PM

Try re enabling your connection  with this :

Please click Start > Run, type inetcpl.cpl in the runbox and press enter.
Click the Connections tab and click the LAN settings option.
Verify if "Use a proxy..." is checked, if so, UNcheck it and click OK/OK to exit.
Now check if the internet is working again.

OR.....If you are using Windows 7..
Download  Click Me
then...Right click on winsockfix.bat    and then click on Run As Administrator

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#3 TgxLEGENDz

TgxLEGENDz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2015 - 10:23 PM

Try re enabling your connection  with this :

Please click Start > Run, type inetcpl.cpl in the runbox and press enter.
Click the Connections tab and click the LAN settings option.
Verify if "Use a proxy..." is checked, if so, UNcheck it and click OK/OK to exit.
Now check if the internet is working again.

OR.....If you are using Windows 7..
Download  Click Me
then...Right click on winsockfix.bat    and then click on Run As Administrator

tried all of this, and nothing worked. i also tried a couple other cables. a much shorter cat 6 a cat5 and a cat5e so i dont think it is the cable 

#4 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:21 AM

Posted 21 July 2015 - 02:06 AM

Download MiniToolBox check the Select All box near the top and click Go at the bottom. Post the results please.

Edited by CaveDweller2, 21 July 2015 - 02:08 AM.

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#5 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2015 - 09:59 AM

Lets start with some basics

Are you connected to a router?

Are other devices connected to the same router and are they working fine?

Is this a store bought cable or did you make it?

Is it a laptop or a pc you are trying to connect via the 70ft cable?

Do the port lights go on at each end when connected by cable?

#6 TgxLEGENDz

TgxLEGENDz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2015 - 12:59 AM

i found the answer to my problem.thank you guys for all of the help and getting me working again

#7 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 6,040 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:21 PM

Posted 22 July 2015 - 03:37 AM

Would you like to share the answer.??...it might just help someone who reads this post....

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users