Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Brand advice

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 PGHinBKK

PGHinBKK

• Members
  • 339 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:55 AM

Posted 20 July 2015 - 08:37 PM

I was just informed that the Hitachi HDD in my Dell laptop is failing, and I will replace it soon. But since this unit is only about 2-3 years old, I'm not that keen to replace it with another Hitachi. I know the site cannot endorse products, but can anyone relate any instances of one brand of HDD that seems to last longer than others?  Thanks

Life is strange......and then there's Thailand....

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 5,566 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:55 AM

Posted 20 July 2015 - 09:12 PM

Fwiw.....Seagate drive.....installed since 2006. Still going strong. Passes every test.  ymmv

Condobloke

Outback Australian  

fed up with Windows antics...??

LINUX IS THE ANSWER

I USE LINUX MINT EXCLUSIVELY... NO DUAL BOOT, NO VIRTUAL MACHINE

Failure is not an option. It comes bundled with your Microsoft product.

#3 PGHinBKK

PGHinBKK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 339 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2015 - 09:16 PM

Condobloke,  thanks. I was leaning towards Seagate, but thought I'd collect some opinions before I bought another one. :thumbup2:

#4 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:55 PM

Posted 21 July 2015 - 07:59 AM

I've had drives fail over the many years I've built pc's from every manufacturer ... I think sometimes you just get lucky on how long one will last.  I CAN say that i've never had a drive fail faster than the 10k RPM drives.  There certainly is nothing wrong with Seagate drives or Western Digital I am almost positive both of the these two companies have been building them the longest.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,818 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:55 PM

Posted 22 July 2015 - 06:52 AM

Really...you only have 3 possibilities...WD, Seagate, and Hitachi, with WD and Seagate being the largest manufacturers existent today.

I've always thought that the idea of "better hard drives" was a myth created by users based on their limited personal experiences.  I've used all sorts of drives over the last 19 years (since 1996) and I even had the "IBM deathstar drives" perform well for me.

It's like any other manmade product...quality control cannot catch everything and some individual drives will always fail.  No one makes "failure-proof" drives.

Louis

#6 PGHinBKK

PGHinBKK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 339 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2015 - 10:24 PM

Thanks, guys.  Seagate has plants over here (Thailand) and so their drives are just a little less expensive. I'll probably pick one up in the next few days.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users