Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Linux can't read Win 8.1/10 drives? A deal-breaker...

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1 brainout

brainout

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:50 AM

Posted 20 July 2015 - 08:27 PM

I don't know whether to put this in Linux or Windows forum: since Linux often rescues Windows, it seems more proper to put it here.  Move or delete or  whatever you want to do with this.

Impetus:  I was just in ZDnet, reading the Linux Mint comments, and one poster, named w7hd1, said that MSFT changed the architecture of Win8.1/10 so that Linux can't mount or read those drives.  Since I'm on Legacy not UEFI, I thought that remark was incorrect, so I plugged in my Mint 17 to boot my 8.1/10 drive.. and yeah, Mint can't read them!  Boots fine, but Caja can't read the internal partitions, which are Win 8.1 and 10.  Gives an error message when trying to mount those partitions, that they are 'not clean' (even though they are) and that the NTFS is not right (even though it is, I made the partitions with diskmgmt.msc).  So it's a false message MSFT is giving to prevent reading/detection, just as the poster w7hd1, claimed. 

I didn't encrypt the drives, so that's not the problem.  It must be a native defense mechanism in each OS.  Although, it could be that the esd file residing on each partition, renders each partition, unreadable to Linux?

No problem for Linux to read and manipulate the data on the drives, for prior Windows versions.

This matters, to a Windows diehard like me.  I learned about and primarily use Linux, to rescue my Windows machines.  So if it cannot mount the drive, I cannot rescue the files on it, and I cannot use those versions of Windows.  Period.  For, spit happens, and as many as there are restore/repair/rescue options, there is always a day each year when none of those things work. Linux then to the rescue.  So it can't do that job, if it cannot mount the drives!

Has this been your experience, too?  It's a genuine question.  Criticism is an expense of time, so no one criticizes who hates the object.  At least, I don't.  If I don't care about something, I ignore it.  But I care very much about this, especially given the 'offer' of  Win10 (free or no, I don't care about that, I care about how well it works).  Win8 is less of a concern for me: but to you, it might matter a bunch.

Opine?  Please?

Edited by brainout, 20 July 2015 - 08:43 PM.

(Away, Notifications Off) AUDIT PREMISES, my guidon.  -- brainout or brainouty on vimeo or Youtube, domain brainout.net

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 darkbit

darkbit

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:50 AM

Posted 20 July 2015 - 08:28 PM

I'm sticking with Windows 7 then moving TO Linux. So no concerns here. 

#3 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 5,588 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:50 AM

Posted 20 July 2015 - 08:55 PM

Slightly off topic.....but......i had rollback rx installed and decided to uninstall it to defrag the hdd....the 'uninstallation' managed to corrupt many and various files on the hdd ...I attempted to mount it in puppy (linux) and it would not do it. I am running win 7.1

So, to summarise...I was unable to mount the drive, albeit in different circumstances to your own.

Condobloke

Outback Australian  

fed up with Windows antics...??

LINUX IS THE ANSWER

I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

Failure is not an option. It comes bundled with your Microsoft product.

Success is not Final, Failure is not Fatal,

It is the Courage to Continue that Counts.

W.C. 4th June 1940

#4 brainout

brainout
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2015 - 09:01 PM

Not necessarily off-topic, beloved Condobloke.  I did have that problem when drives were corrupted, too.  But the corruption is usually limited to part of the drive, so after running chkdsk, all is well.

Yet another reason for rollback.  I can't WAIT to install it on my machines.  I will owe you forever, for telling me about it!

Edited by brainout, 20 July 2015 - 09:19 PM.

(Away, Notifications Off) AUDIT PREMISES, my guidon.  -- brainout or brainouty on vimeo or Youtube, domain brainout.net

#5 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 11,779 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:50 AM

Posted 20 July 2015 - 11:23 PM

I think it may have something to do with the so called ‘fast start-up’ feature in Windows.

#6 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2015 - 11:37 PM

As far as I am aware the default shutdown for Win 8 and 10 is actually hibernate, and you can't mount a hibernated partition without doing damage to it.

I haven't looked into the work-around yet, as I haven't had to support these OS's... but that is the reason why.

#7 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 6,889 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:50 AM

Posted 20 July 2015 - 11:51 PM

As far as I am aware the default shutdown for Win 8 and 10 is actually hibernate, and you can't mount a hibernated partition without doing damage to it.

I haven't looked into the work-around yet, as I haven't had to support these OS's... but that is the reason why.

This.  :thumbup2:

Windows 8 & forward has a gimmick called 'FastBoot'. the catch is that it never really shuts down. Bad on hardware, especially the battery of notebooks, but that's not the point of this discussion. 

If one has a SSD, there's no need for FastBoot, it was one of the first items to go on my XPS 8700, along with hibernation itself. 

It's also been reported to not be good to have FastBoot enabled & dual boot, even to an external source, chances of file corruption are greater, because the OS isn't fully shut down. Therefore it's best to disable FastBoot. Here's a tutorial that may be of help. 

http://winaero.com/blog/how-to-disable-or-enable-fast-startup-in-windows-8-1/

Should you require further assistance, please post & I'll see what I can find out.  :)

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#8 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2015 - 11:54 PM

Just read up a workaround.

From an elevated command prompt

powercfg /h off

to disable hibernation, then shut down.

From what I've read it likes to re-enable itself on reboot, though that's speculation as I don't have an install to test it on.

#9 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2015 - 12:03 AM

Condobloke runs Windows 7.1 if it helps at all ??

Sorry already mentioned above, but I just wanted you to know for sure  ..

Edited by noknojon, 21 July 2015 - 12:11 AM.

#10 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2015 - 12:11 AM

And I like banannas :)

#11 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 11,779 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:50 AM

Posted 21 July 2015 - 12:26 AM

7.1 or 8.1?

#12 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 5,588 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2015 - 01:33 AM

7.1     (yesterday I was not "running" at all...topic HERE )

Condobloke

Outback Australian  

fed up with Windows antics...??

LINUX IS THE ANSWER

I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

Failure is not an option. It comes bundled with your Microsoft product.

Success is not Final, Failure is not Fatal,

It is the Courage to Continue that Counts.

W.C. 4th June 1940

#13 brainout

brainout
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2015 - 02:35 AM

OMG, Condobloke!  Will have to try rollback at some other time, because defrag should not be an issue!

TsVk! I'm gonna try the powercfg but also see if I can set it in Group Policy as there ought to be a way to do that or in Godmode.  Really grateful.

To all of you, I'm grateful as well, for yes Mint was claiming the disk was hibernating. I turned that option OFF in Windows power config.  I hate hibernation.  So am booting 8.1/10 right now.  BRB.

Back.. yikes, in this new menu of Win10, there's a 'fastboot' override checked! Caja was right!  It's not visible, because it's below what looks like an end of the options.  I hate the new dialogues.  GRRRRRRRR why does MSFT always pick stupid defaults.  To save 10 seconds but lose a drive.  What if I had removed the drive, when it was really only hibernating!!!

I'm sick of the gotchas.

Going now to see what else are other options.. will do both 8.1 and 10, then reboot in Mint, see if it clears, AND do the powercfg command in Group Policy, thank you all!

EDIT: still working on it..there are over 100 freaking settings per 'power option', and I'm betting if even ONE of them contains a sleep or hibernate, then Linux won't be able to read it.  Shame on you, MSFT.

Edited by brainout, 21 July 2015 - 03:30 AM.

#14 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 6,889 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2015 - 03:05 AM

GRRRRRRRR why does MSFT always pick stupid defaults.  

They always do. Microsoft should leave it up to us to have hibernation as an option, and stop it with the 'FastBoot' garb. 

A computer is a machine, like any other, it needs a full rest after usage. Being that SSD's are so popular now, none of these users needs this function, nor Hibernate. Having a computer in a hybrid state is for starters, a battery killer if left plugged in, these lasts longer if not constantly charged up to 100% all the time, after a couple of hours it dips a bit & the charger kicks right back in. Really the user has no choice, otherwise would wake to a half charged battery. 

It's not like a diesel truck in a very cold environment, where these must be plugged in to keep the oil warm to flow at startup. This explains why the CPU is at normal temps after just a minute of use, it's never shut down. 

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#15 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 2,411 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2015 - 03:17 AM

This is a issue i was aware of, but luckily it can be worked around and linux is very adaptable.

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

gh8un5-6.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users