Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer crashes when using both monitors

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Envayne

Envayne

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:44 AM

Posted 20 July 2015 - 04:44 PM

When gaming on primary monitor and watching twitch streams on secondary my computer will crash. No BSOD. No driver fail warning. Just shuts down completely. Using one monitor only I have no issues at all. Have tried updating drivers, changed dvi/hdmi cables to new ones. Changed which monitor I was doing which task on. Ran OCCT for 15 minutes with zero errors. Ran windows mem test with no errors. Unable to get Memtest86 to work with either stick of RAM though.

Computer specs:

i5-3570k Ivy @ 3.4ghz (have never overclocked)

Gigabyte Z77x-Ud3H motherboard

750 W Corsair TX Bronze

2 x 4gb G.Skill Ripjaw DDR3

GTX 970 FTW edition

Any help with this issue would be appreciated as I am at my wits end.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 masterthemachines

masterthemachines

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:44 AM

Posted 20 July 2015 - 05:43 PM

Hello there, 

This issue might be related to Adobe Flash. Can you turn off hardware accelerator in flash and see if the issue still persists?https://forums.adobe.com/thread/891337  

If the crash still appears then you might need to upgrade the graphic cards in your PC. 

Hope this helps! 

#3 Envayne

Envayne
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2015 - 06:18 PM

Update.

My graphics card is brand new and I can't afford anything higher end than a GTX 970 at the moment. I turned off hardware acceleration on chrome and still had crashes (full black screen reboots, no bsod). Ran twitch stream through IE with hardware accelleration turned off and played for about an hour with no issues whatsoever.

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2015 - 06:01 AM

Can you return the graphics card with an RMA?
That'll tell you if it's the card.

Beyond that there's a whole bunch of possibilities.
Try running Prime95 with the Blend test (it tests RAM also):  http://www.carrona.org/prime95.html

Also, try the other free diagnostics here:  http://www.carrona.org/hwdiag.html

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 King_Yoshi

King_Yoshi

• Malware Study Hall Senior
  • 1,310 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2015 - 12:17 PM

Did you check your computers temperatures?
This sounds like a overheating problem, and the computer is shutting down to prevent heat damage.

A videocard will heat up much more when two monitors are connected to it.
If it is not properly cooled, this extra heat can build up inside of the computer case causing other parts to overheat as well.

Check out this article on How-To Geek.

Edited by King_Yoshi, 21 July 2015 - 12:19 PM.

#6 Envayne

Envayne
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2015 - 06:06 PM

I could RMA the card but it seems like a last ditch solution. So far I have ram Prime95 (no errors on blend test. Only ran for about 30 minutes). Ram FurMark with no errors and kept an eye on my temps. Nothing getting hot enough to be dangerous (also ran for about 30 minutes). Also no system restarts during any test. I even decided to try and force it and opened up a twitch stream on my 2nd monitor during the Furmark test and still no crashing. GPU temp went up by 1c.

Although after typing that and hitting submit. My nvidia driver crashed and restored itself.

Edited by Envayne, 22 July 2015 - 06:09 PM.

#7 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2015 - 08:52 AM

It seems that we're looking at a video problem - either software or hardware.
The driver crash and restore is also a STOP 0x117 error (if it didn't restore, then it would have been a STOP 0x116 error with a BSOD).

As such, try these troubleshooting steps:  http://www.sysnative.com/forums/bsod-kernel-dump-analysis-debugging-information/35-video-tdr-timeout-0x116-0x117.html#post29532

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#8 Envayne

Envayne
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2015 - 02:14 PM

I noticed that my Nvidia driver was back from March so I went ahead and got the most recent update. Also ordered some new ram because something seemed fishy with mine continuing to fail to load Memtest86. Will try the troubleshooting link you provided when I get back home. Just seems strange that through all this I have not had one real BSOD. Just full reboot to "system did not shut down properly". No bsod, no dumps. Even though it's set to do both.

Another update. When I got home and woke my pc up it was completely frozen. Everything non responsive. I restarted and got nonstop BSOD until eventually I got the error that it could not find anything to boot from. I unplugged both of my drives and made sure they were plugged back in properly. Working again now but that was worrisome to say the least.

Finally got Memtest86 to run. Ran 4 tests and 0 errors were found in memory.

Edited by Envayne, 23 July 2015 - 07:14 PM.

#9 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2015 - 07:58 AM

Try another video card.  If you don't want to RMA the current card, purchase one from a local shop that accepts returns.  Most big box retailers (BestBuy, Target, WalMart, Staples, etc) have a no questions asked refund policy.

Don't forget to finish up the diagnostics - it's not necessarily the video card, it's just my opinion that it's the most likely thing.

#10 Envayne

Envayne
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2015 - 01:53 PM

This issue existed back when I was using a GTX 550 Ti. I upgraded recently to the GTX 970 to attempt to fix it (thinking the 550 was dying/not able to push it). I downloaded WhoCrashed and have noticed that every reboot is followed by it saying there was a kernel error that was caused by a driver. Then another saying the crash was caused by via extensible host controller driver.

After a BSOD cycle that I could not resolve through system restore or startup fix I finally gave up and formatted. So far everything seems fine.

Edited by Envayne, 24 July 2015 - 08:17 PM.

#11 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2015 - 05:37 AM

OK, as you've tested by buying a new card, that should be sufficient for our purposes.

As you've reinstalled Windows, the problem should be solved (if it was a driver, and if you have all necessary updates).

Should the BSOD's return, please start with these free hardware diagnostics:  http://www.carrona.org/hwdiag.html

A BSOD is an error in the kernel memory space that is usually caused by a driver.

Over 90% of BSOD's are caused by this, the rest are mostly caused by hardware problems.

The crash will most often blame a driver, even if hardware is to blame.

There are occasions when it will blame hardware - but one still has to check the drivers as the line between hardware and software becomes "fuzzy" when you're working in the lower levels of the OS (which is inside the kernel memory space).

Finally, video drivers are a special case, as they operate at more levels than most drivers - usually bypasing the NT Executive (a part of the kernel) in order to directly interact with hal.dll

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users