Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

SFC and DISM cannot repair corrupt files in Windows 8.1

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 princessdew

princessdew

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:16 PM

Posted 20 July 2015 - 04:04 PM

I am having a issue with sfc and dism not repairing corrupt files. 

Last night, I had 3 tabs open.  On one tab that I was not on, I noticed my wallpaper/background changed.  I then noticed it was rotating wallpers.  I went to desktop and into personalization and changed it back to Gateway basic wallpaper.  I ran Malwarebytes Pro and did a scan with my Bitdefender and also with Malwarebytes rootkit.  Nothing was found. 

An hour or so later, I turned computer back on and when I went into IE, this popped up:

A program has corrupted your default search provider setting for Internet Explorer

I ran SFC and it showed some issues. I have that log if needed.

I then ran DISM and is said it repaired corrupt component store.  I restarted.  I then ran SFC again and it is again showing the same corrupt issues.  I have that log as well. 

I figured it was getting out of my capabilities and I would come here for advice. 

I have a Gateway nv57op26u  windows 8.1

Thank you!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,660 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2015 - 04:16 PM

Hi princessdew :)

Since the CBS.log is volatile, I'll ask you to run SFC once again and provide me that CBS.log. Follow the instructions below please.

EndqYRa.pngSystem File Checker (SFC)
Follow the instructions below to run a SFC scan on your system and to provide the CBS log in your next reply;
  • On Windows Vista & 7, click on the Windows Start Menu, then enter cmd in the search box, right-click on the cmd icon and select Spcusrh.pngRun as Administrator
  • On Windows 8, drag your cursor in the bottom-left corner, and right-click on the metro menu preview, then select Command Prompt (Admin);
  • On Windows 8.1, right click on the Windows logo in the bottom-left corner and select Command Prompt (Admin);
  • Enter the command below and press on Enter;
    sfc /scannow
    Note: There's a space between "sfc" and "/scannow";
  • Once the scan is complete, enter the command below and press on Enter
    copy %windir%\logs\cbs\cbs.log "%userprofile%\Desktop\cbs.txt"
  • A file called cbs.txt will have appeared on your Desktop. Upload the file on Dropbox, Google Drive or OneDrive and post the download URL for it here;
Note: Please note that the CBS.log is volatile, which means that if you don't upload it after the SFC scan is completed, it won't contains the information from the scan anymore. So archive it and upload it as soon as you can.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 princessdew

princessdew
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2015 - 04:26 PM

ok. thank you for the quick response.  I am doing your instructions now.

#4 princessdew

princessdew
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2015 - 05:03 PM

ok ran sfc scannow

here is the google drive log link

please let me know if you cant access

it is my first time using google drive to share

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5VTG14BSVt1OG11Tm5odXNNVnc/view?usp=sharing

#5 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:16 PM

Posted 20 July 2015 - 05:13 PM

Are you sure System File Checker (SFC.exe) found corrupted files because CBS.log does not show any file or files corrupted there is nothing to repair.

Visit below URL link to find answer to "A program has corrupted your default search provider setting for Internet Explorer" error.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/ie/forum/ie8-windows_other/how-to-really-get-rid-of-a-program-has-corrupted/ba3d3a7a-4670-42e4-8888-0712158f15c2

Posted Image

#6 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,660 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2015 - 05:14 PM

The two files reported as corrupted (utc.app.json and telemetry.ASM-WindowsDefault.json) can be safely ignored. It's a false positive caused by SFC and Microsoft is fully aware of the issue. They said that they'll patch it in a future update. Even if you replace them now, they'll be corrupted again. These files are in fact good and won't impact anything on your system.

For more information, you can read the KB article below.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3022345?wa=wsignin1.0

The two files are marked as static files in the update. When an advanced user runs the System File Checker Tool (sfc.exe), the files are unintentionally flagged as corrupted. There is no impact or actual corruption on a device running this update, and a later service update will resolve this issue.

SFC is only reporting these two files as corrupted (even thought they are not), hence the error message. This being said, there's nothing else wrong with your log.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#7 princessdew

princessdew
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2015 - 05:16 PM

ok. good.  I was just reading about that update.  I just kind of freaked I guess.  lol

thank you for your time!  I appreciate and learn so much on this site! 

:thumbup2:

#8 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,660 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2015 - 05:17 PM

No problem princessdew, you'rew welcome :)

unite_blue.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users