Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is Their a Smartphone that plays Music/Movies from portable USB Hard Drive

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 playball1987

playball1987

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2015 - 03:35 PM

I have a basic portable hard drive with a lot of movies and music stored on it & I was wondering if their was a mobile phone / smartphone currently on the market that would play back to me the music, movies installed within the hard drive

I am fairly technical savvy but need help in relation to the above

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,765 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:21 PM

Posted 20 July 2015 - 03:59 PM

Any device that supports an OTG cable should work. But check the specs. But virtually any handset made in the last 2-3 years does support OTG.

EDIT: I'm not that sure about Apple or Windows, but many Android newer Androids do.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 softeyes

softeyes

• Members
  • 1,606 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2015 - 07:09 PM

Hi !

I am only able to speak for Apple. Here we go: Example is using an iPhone 5S as that is what I have.

Using the iPhone lightning connection port:

358033-apple-iphone-5-lightning-port_zps

Then the actual lightning cable:

7b05f5f9-251d-42fd-b3c7-d6d0a8427e6a_zps

You would then need to have a Seagate Backup Plus Slim Portable Hard Drive

Example from Apple: http://www.apple.com/shop/product/HFUD2ZM/A/seagate-1tb-backup-plus-slim-portable-hard-drive?fnode=5f

Next step using the iPhone 5S the Apple App store, the Seagate Moble Backup app installed (free)

This way, the male USB from the lightning cable can connect to the Seagate external hard drive and you're good to go!

I own a Western Digital external hard drive, it has a male USB..unfortunately.  Even if it had a femal USB connector it would not be compatible with the iPhone.

No doubt the same pairing would take place with any other phone; start with the phone, connectors and work backwards to the external hard drive.

Good luck!

#4 playball1987

playball1987
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2015 - 06:26 AM

Mate !

Thanks for that, I have an IPhone 5S also!

The link you gave me for that particular Seagate Drive had some seriously negative feedback against it, I currently posess a Samsung hx-m101tcb/g driver so I am guessing I would have to transfer over whatever I have stored on this device:

Is their other options available other than the one you mentioned?

#5 softeyes

softeyes

• Members
  • 1,606 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2015 - 10:44 AM

AFAIK...Apple has their "exact fruit" pairing!  In other words, for your iPhonee 5S..this particular Seagate external drive is their spec.

Not knowing where you live, if you have an Apple store close, go inside to the Genius Bar and stretch the options, I'd certainly give it a go!

In that I don't have an Android phone, I am not able to make any suggestioins there.

Perhaps other members who do not have an Apple phone can assist you further!

#6 playball1987

playball1987
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2015 - 11:26 AM

Thanks, hopefully more people will get on this post to assist

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users