Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

From the graveyard of old laptops can a new one rise?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 shdawdaclda

shdawdaclda

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:01 PM

Posted 20 July 2015 - 01:54 PM

Please, withhold your laughing as this is a sincere post from a somewhat beginner. Im homebound and trying to learn some new skills while Im on my road to recovery. I have various laptops all running Windows XP. The brands are Dell, HP, Sony. Could I salvage parts from each to make a working laptop? Using this really as a learning experience. My biggest question at this point is how do i determine which parts are in working condition? Any tips with this project would be appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:01 PM

Posted 20 July 2015 - 02:06 PM

Well I am not gong to laugh but knowing each one of those manufacturers use proprietary hardware I am going to say you will probably have a hard time getting this to work.  Let alone once you frankenstein something together that may or may not boot up you will have an even harder time trying to figure out what drivers to download.  In my opinion it simply isn't worth it.  But all the power to you !!

#3 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,130 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2015 - 02:06 PM

More than likely no parts will interchange!!!!!!!!!!!

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#4 Buzzsaw

Buzzsaw

• Banned
  • 103 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2015 - 02:16 PM

Please, withhold your laughing as this is a sincere post from a somewhat beginner. I'm home-bound and trying to learn some new skills while Im on my road to recovery. I have various laptops all running Windows XP. The brands are Dell, HP, Sony. Could I salvage parts from each to make a working laptop? Using this really as a learning experience. My biggest question at this point is how do i determine which parts are in working condition? Any tips with this project would be appreciated.

Shdaw,

Well, it depends a lot on what laptops you have laying around.

Most of the time, a lot of laptop parts are not interchangeable. 

The only parts that I can think of that *may* be interchangeable are the following:

1. RAM modules
  2. Processor chips
  3. hard drives
  4. In some cases, WiFi cards.
  5. In some cases, but more rare, graphics (video) controller

In a nutshell, you need to do your research on all of the laptops that you have and look into compatibility of those first three that I mentioned in that list.

Since you are "home-bound", take your time and don't rush into things. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users