Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Weird Lines On Bootup, Windows Completely Scrambled.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Joehadenuf

Joehadenuf

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:03 PM

Posted 11 July 2006 - 04:10 AM

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

1) I recently Reformatted, and reinstalled my copy of Windows XP Home Edition.
2) After I got Windows back up, I updated everything, including drivers for my AGP Geforce 6800 GT.
3) My computer glitched up and froze while playing a game (Battlefield 2)
4) The second time the game crashed my computer, I hardbooted and the boot sequence was glitchy.
5) All screens up up to logging into windows appear corrupted (lines, dots, misplaced colors)
6) When Windows loads, It the screen turns into one big scrambled pattern. then crashes to a black screen.
7) I have the option to go into Safemode after a hardboot. Windows functions fine in safemode.
8) In safemode I uninstalled the drivers to my graphics card.
9) The boot sequence still looks corrupted, but I can get into Windows fine. (without drivers)
10) I opened my case and checked the temperature and the fan, both seem fine.
11) I've tried various other drivers, and all of them have the same result.
12) I took out my 6800 GT and replaced it with an older card, and the older card worked fine.
13) I put my 6800 GT back in, and it's still messed up.
14) I used my DVI to VGA adapter, and it still messed up.

I'm under the impression that my card is fried, but I haven't given up hope. If you have any suggestions please share.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 stidyup

stidyup

• Members
  • 641 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:03 PM

Posted 11 July 2006 - 04:22 AM

I would say the graphics card has gone, especially as you say with a older one it worked fine.

#3 xtatik222k

xtatik222k

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:03 PM

Posted 11 July 2006 - 07:39 AM

Yeah, sounds like ur GPU has packed it in. Try the graphics card in someone else's pc, then you will know for sure, but it sounds like the graphics card has had enough.

#4 Joehadenuf

Joehadenuf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:03 PM

Posted 11 July 2006 - 03:25 PM

That's unfortunate, as I don't think I'm prepared to spend that kind of money again for a card. Especially one for my old DELL with RD ram... I wonder if theres any way to get it repaired, probably not though. Looks like I'm going to be looking to build a new machine If I expect to play games again. Anyways, thanks for the info, and yeah, I think I'll try putting this piece of toast in one of my friend's computers.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users