Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Waking Win 7 screen from sleep over LAN/WLAN

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Carlos Sanchez

Carlos Sanchez

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:35 AM

Posted 20 July 2015 - 05:53 AM

Hi guys!

First, not sure this thread landed in the right forum, so moderator(s) feel free to move it, if it would be better off someplace else.

Now, to my issue. Well, this revolves one of these typical everyday issues, that is really not a big deal, but I was thinking, you know, it would still be delightful if some easy solution on it came up.

So, our main PC here at home runs music pretty much every day. The computer is sending audio over HDMI to the TV, that is connected to a 5.1 home cinema system, pushing the actual sound. Everything is fine, except for power settings kick in every ~30 minutes, or whatever it's currently set at. No, I don't want to simply disable the screen power settings, since they are often found useful.

What I do want, is as small .APK (Android application) that simply pushes some command over our LAN/WLAN here at home, lighting the screen (hence the audio) back up, not moving my *ss from the sofa. As of now, one of us have to grovel from the sofa to the workstation, move the mouse, and then go back to the sofa. This is not ideal.

I was thinking about this yesterday. I stumbled upon the classical WOL (Wake-on-LAN) thingie, sending a magic packet on UDP port 9. There are plenty of Android apps and now I can fire my computer back up from the sofa from my phone, but only if I chose to keep it in either Sleep or Hibernation mode. This is not the case here no, like I said, I simply have the screen turned of every 30 minutes.

I'm trying to think outside the box, if there are some simple method of reaching my goal here; i.e. solution through existing protocol of some kind. I'd rather not call a RDP connection just for waking my screen, so we could rule that one out. Any other ideas? Anything on-spot would be much appreciated.

Cheers! :bubbles:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:35 AM

Posted 20 July 2015 - 10:07 AM

WoL doesn't work like that.  Solution is to turn off power savings on the network interfaces and hard drive.  You can still have the screen go down.

#3 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:35 AM

Posted 20 July 2015 - 01:02 PM

Look in your power options. As Wand3r3r said, you can "Turn off the display:" and "Put the computer to sleep:" If there is a unit of time in the second one you are in fact putting your PC to sleep. So set that to Never and turn off the display whenever you want.

If you don't want to do that, you'd need to download something like TeamViewer and remote or TightVNC and remote or the like. There is a little setup but it's not bad. As a bonus you can set it up so you can mess with someone at home while you're out. Start up the music or whatever without them ever knowing it was you.

The other thing I can think of is get a RF mouse or mouse/keyboard combo. I have that keyboard, works like a charm. Leave it near the couch and no more getting you @ss up =)

In the end, the power settings would be the easiest =)

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#4 Carlos Sanchez

Carlos Sanchez
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:35 AM

Posted 21 July 2015 - 05:33 AM

Thanks for all your advice, people. Much appreciated. Now, knowing that WoL does only wake actually sleep inner computer peripherals, but not a sleeping screen, I did rub my head back and forth a million times yesterday. Finally, I did find one quite convenient solution. This tiny daemon/client kit called Remote Launcher, which has it's Android (client) part available at Play. Now, I can ease back in the sofa, putting the computer and/or screen to sleep, and [since the actual workstation is on LAN] I can also actually pull the PC back from Sleep or Hibernation, from the sofa. Yeah, the android client for Remote Launcher includes a little add-on for waking up boxes through WoL/MAC. Anyways, If I don't specify real sleep (in powercfg.cpl) but only (like I have) screen on/offs, I use a neat stand-alone (FullResume.EXE) that I found in my quest. Works a charm on Win 7 (x64). Oh, to put the screen back to sleep, I use another smooth stand-alone (NirCmd.EXE) that I _also_ found yesterday, in my great quest. So, these parts make hell of a good combo. Well, to my given purpose, anyhow. Just though I'd mention it, if anyone else stumbles upon this thread, in their own little search for glory.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users