Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is AntiVirus software really necessary?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

Bleeps with the fishes...

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:00 PM

Posted 20 July 2015 - 03:26 AM

Ain't no joke: viruses/trojans/ransomware etc do exist & can infiltrate your PC, and savvy users act to guard against them with AV software as the foundation of a layered protection scheme & also with sensible behavior online. Malware relies heavily on users doing stupid stuff. Most of the time you know when you are straying into the murkier waters of the internet. Do you ever think that your sensible behavior is enough to protect you from attacks, and that antivirus software is not necessary?

Discuss.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 PhotoAce

PhotoAce

• Members
  • 165 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:00 AM

Posted 20 July 2015 - 03:36 AM

Malware can be acquired by something as simple as searching for a battery for a digital camera - this happened to me, and I thought I was careful.

I now have antivirus, antimalware and antiexploit software, I changed browsers, and I got rid of Adobe Reader, Flash and Java.

#3 Angoid

Angoid

• Security Colleague
  • 299 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:00 PM

Posted 20 July 2015 - 03:44 AM

AntiVirus software is an essential part of a complete security model.

You can be as careful as you want, but a hijacked advertisement ('malvertisement') can infect you.

Common Sense ('sensible behaviour') is essential, but part of that sensible behaviour is to keep yourself protected electronically as well.

Uninstall anything you don't need: Java, Flash and Adobe Reader have all been mentioned as they are the prime targets.

Also, use an adblocker such as AdBlock Plus - you'll need to install it individually on all your browsers but that provides another layer of protection.

NoScript is another one - I think NoScript and AdBlock Plus play nicely but I've not got any experience of that so can't comment with any degree of authority.

Keep your browsers updated to the latest-and-greatest as well so any known exploits are patched.

Helping a loved one through a mental health issue?  Remember ALGEE...

Assess the risk | Listen nonjudgementally | Give reassurance and info | Encourage professional help | Encourage self-help and support network

#4 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 12,710 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:00 AM

Posted 20 July 2015 - 03:54 AM

I think NoScript and AdBlock Plus play nicely

I have both in Fire Fox and no problems.

Adblock Plus :: Add-ons for Firefox - Mozilla Add-ons

Adblock Plus - Chrome Web Store - Google

NoScript Security Suite :: Add-ons for Firefox - Mozilla Add-ons

#5 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:00 PM

Posted 20 July 2015 - 04:16 AM

Common sense is necessary, but you will need some sort of safeguard at your door - in this case, antivirus software - as well.

Criminals are trying their hardest to infect users that do not "do stupid stuff" as you say, mainly via drive-by downloads.

You can use uBlock Origin which blocks both ads and scripts. No need to use Adblock Plus and NoScript at the same time.

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,131 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2015 - 05:51 AM

I would not recommend anyone use a computer without anti-virus protection regardless of what other security protection is installed.. Security begins with your computer and it must be safeguarded at that end.

Among the ~800 pages of new threat intelligence is a new study that attempts to quantify the benefit of running up-to-date anti-virus (AV) software. The study leveraged data from over a billion systems worldwide and it turns out that systems that do not have up-to-date AV are 5.5 times more likely to be infected with malware than systems that are protected...

Anti-virus Software is DeadReally?

Why should you use Antivirus software?IMO, not having an anti-virus working in real-time in the background defeats much of its intended purpose...to protect a computer and prevent malware infection BEFORE it can damage your system.

How do folks who claim they do not use an anti-virus and never get infected know for certain that their computer is malware free? Many of today's attackers employ advanced techniques which involve sophisticated Botnets, Backdoor Trojans and rootkits to hide their presence on a computer. Without proper security tools including an antivirus which can detect such malware, you can never be absolutely sure your computer has not been infected.

Further, using unprotected computers on the Internet is a security risk to everyone as they are prone to attack from hackers, Botnets, zombie computers and malware infection. When infected and compromised, malware spreads faster and more extensively, distributed denial-of-service attacks are easier to launch, spammers have more platforms from which to send e-mail and more zombies are created to perpetuate the cycle. Using anti-virus software will help minimize the risk and help to prevent the computer from being used to pass on infections to other machines.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#7 Didier Stevens

Didier Stevens

• BC Advisor
  • 2,659 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:00 AM

Posted 21 July 2015 - 10:11 AM

Ain't no joke: viruses/trojans/ransomware etc do exist & can infiltrate your PC, and savvy users act to guard against them with AV software as the foundation of a layered protection scheme & also with sensible behavior online. Malware relies heavily on users doing stupid stuff. Most of the time you know when you are straying into the murkier waters of the internet. Do you ever think that your sensible behavior is enough to protect you from attacks, and that antivirus software is not necessary?

Discuss.

Have you ever used your computer with impaired mental functions? Sleep-deprived, with fever, drunk, ... You don't always have 100% common sense.

Didier Stevens
http://blog.DidierStevens.com
http://DidierStevensLabs.com

SANS ISC Handler
Microsoft MVP 2011-2016 Consumer Security, Windows Insider MVP 2016-2018
MVP_Horizontal_BlueOnly.png

If you send me messages, per Bleeping Computer's Forum policy, I will not engage in a conversation, but try to answer your question in the relevant forum post. If you don't want this, don't send me messages.

Stevens' law: "As an online security discussion grows longer, the probability of a reference to BadUSB approaches 1.0"

#8 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2015 - 11:17 AM

Discuss.

Have you ever used your computer with impaired mental functions? Sleep-deprived, with fever, drunk, ... You don't always have 100% common sense.

Excellent point as always Didier! As to your question...

Have you ever used your computer...drunk...

I don't drink anymore...  Or any less :P

Edited by Union_Thug, 21 July 2015 - 11:18 AM.

#9 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,131 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2015 - 04:35 PM

They use to say that all they time in Jersey...I didn't realize it spread across the Verrazano to Staten Island and Brooklyn. :whistle:

#10 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2015 - 05:10 PM

They use to say that all they time in Jersey...I didn't realize it spread across the Verrazano to Staten Island and Brooklyn. :whistle:

Haha funny you should mention that :whistle:... I've lived in Joisey since the mid 90's; Monmouth, Atlantic & now Ocean counties.    drink.gif

Brooklyn Born Bleep

Edited by Union_Thug, 21 July 2015 - 05:10 PM.

#11 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 12,710 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:00 AM

Posted 21 July 2015 - 05:23 PM

We have the same saying in Australia.

#12 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2015 - 07:07 PM

We have the same saying in Australia.

...Where beer does flow and men chunder... :P

Edited by Union_Thug, 21 July 2015 - 07:15 PM.

#13 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2015 - 07:25 PM

Sorry for the :offtopic:  ... thanks to all for responding: PhotoAce, Angoid, NickAu, Alexstrasza, and the esteemed gentlemen :tophat: qm7 & Didier Stevens.

#14 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,131 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2015 - 07:46 PM

You're welcome on behalf of the Bleeping Computer community.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users