Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

windows 8 update question, event viewer

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Grecoc38

Grecoc38

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:00 PM

Posted 19 July 2015 - 10:53 PM

I was checking event viewer and I noticed something that caught my attention. two days ago on the 16th I noticed this

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Windows Update started downloading an update."

+

"Restart Required: To complete the installation of the following updates, the computer will be restarted within 15 minutes: "

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Basically I was wondering why didn't my computer restart when it was supposed to? Which was right after the install completed? In the event viewer it even said that the system will restart in 15 minutes but it never did. the next restart was logged on the morning of the 18th.

Looked further into it and I saw the same thing reoccurred again earlier 

I notice this has happened before as well. I check event viewer and last month I saw the same thing

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

6/10/2015

"Restart Required: To complete the installation of the following updates, the computer will be restarted within 15 minutes" Yet no restart took place after this

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

6/5/2015 same thing.

"Restart Required: To complete the installation of the following updates, the computer will be restarted within 15 minutes:

Microsoft.ZuneVideo - Microsoft.BingSports - Microsoft.BingHealthAndFitness - Microsoft.BingWeather - Microsoft.BingNews - Microsoft.BingFoodAndDrink"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yet no restart took place after 15 minutes, the next time the PC was restarted was actually a day later I'm really confused. Why does event viewer say that my PC was supposed to shut down in 15 minutes and then doesn't.

Edited by Grecoc38, 19 July 2015 - 10:55 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,660 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2015 - 05:38 AM

Hi Grecoc38 :)

My guess is that the Windows Update are configured with the following option: "No auto-restart with logged on users for scheduled automatic updates installation". Which means that if you are logged in and there's scheduled updates to install, your computer will not restart. On Windows 8/8.1, it'll tell you in the Windows Update window that updates are scheduled to be installed on the next restart, while on Windows 7 it used to prompt you a message saying that updates have been installed and to reboot (and you could delay that). In other words, I wouldn't worry about it and consider it a normal behavior of Windows.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 Grecoc38

Grecoc38
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2015 - 02:09 PM

Hi Grecoc38 :)

My guess is that the Windows Update are configured with the following option: "No auto-restart with logged on users for scheduled automatic updates installation". Which means that if you are logged in and there's scheduled updates to install, your computer will not restart. On Windows 8/8.1, it'll tell you in the Windows Update window that updates are scheduled to be installed on the next restart, while on Windows 7 it used to prompt you a message saying that updates have been installed and to reboot (and you could delay that). In other words, I wouldn't worry about it and consider it a normal behavior of Windows.

Thanks you for the response. 

Unfortunately my windows update is not configured that way  

#4 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,660 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2015 - 02:10 PM

This isn't something you'll see via the Windows Update control panel, but via the Local GPOs of the system.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#5 Go The Power

Go The Power

• Members
  • 525 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:30 AM

Posted 21 July 2015 - 03:02 AM

Hello,

Can you please provide the following information, it will let me know if anything is pending.

Please navigate to C:\Windows\winsxs and copy any files with a similar name to pending.xml (e.g. pending.xml, pending.xml.bad, pending.xml_dfsadf78 etc.) to your folder on the Desktop [there may not be any, just if there are]. Then zip up this folder and attach it to your next post.

• Rlick on the Start button -> click on Command prompt as Administrator
  • Inside the Command Prompt windows copy and paste the following command
    REG LOAD HKLM\COMPONENTS C:\Windows\System32\config\COMPONENTS
    REG QUERY HKLM\COMPONENTS >1&& notepad 1
  • Please wait for this to Finish before continuing with rest of the steps.

Please also export the following registry keys, add them into a zip and attach to this post:

• Right click on the Start button -> Click on Run -> type regedit
  • Once regedit opens, using the left pane, navigate to the following registry key and select it by clicking on it once.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate\

• Once selected, click File > Export....
  • Change the Save as type: to Registry Hive Files (*.*)
  • Name this file Update (with no file extension) and save it to your Desktop.

Once done please upload this file via Dropbox or One Drive

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users