Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Bizarre Boot Issues

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 dienda

dienda

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:24 AM

Posted 19 July 2015 - 10:12 PM

Hello!

TL;DR Computer installs updates, restarts and then enters unrecoverable system restore, diagnostic software is showing no hardware issues and reinstalling Windows isn't solving the issue.

I built my own computer about 4 years ago and have been constantly tweaking and adding to it since then. The last major update was about 6 months ago when I got a new case, CPU and motherboard.

Since this last update to my computer it has been working fine. Absolutely no issues at all. Then, on Friday, I went to install some Windows updates as scheduled and shut down the computer like I do every night. The next morning the computer goes into system restore because it can't boot into windows. It finds a system restore point and boots up right after.

Thinking that this must have been caused from a bad installation of the updates the night before I foolishly install them again. This time, upon restarting, the computer enters system restore and can now no longer find a restore point. I take this in stride and think that this is a good opportunity to install Windows 10! After using the command prompt in system restore to copy all of my important files off of my Solid State Drive and onto a flash drive I proceed with the installation of the latest build of Windows 10.

Everything is working great in Windows 10, minus a few bugs just from being a new OS. Again, the installation of windows updates and the following restart have brought my computer to its knees in system restore. At this point I'm thinking that there must be an issue with something hardware related.

I take to google in search of some diagnostic utilities and stumble upon Hiren's Boot CD. I install it to my flash drive and get to work. I run a comprehensive health assessment on my SSD, my HDD, my Flash Drive, my RAM and could not find any issues with them.

Thinking this whole thing might have been a fluke I try to install Windows 10 again to find that now my BIOS won't even load the installation media on the USB. The farthest I get it is to the windows splash screen before it reverts back into BIOS to look for a different boot source.

In despair I try and reinstall Windows 7 as a last ditch effort. Miraculously it works and I begin reinstalling drivers, programs, etc. Windows update begins installing the massive 180 some updates to windows before the computer BSOD about 80% of the way through the installation.

I'm at my wits end trying to figure this issue out. I don't mind replacing parts that might be bad, but I don't want to start throwing money at the thing without knowing where the issue is stemming from. I can provide any details you need about my system if it helps.

Thanks for reading through everything and thanks for the help!

-Dienda

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,073 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:24 AM

Posted 20 July 2015 - 09:29 AM

If you can get into Windows, Please provide this information so we can provide a complete analysis (from the Pinned Topic at the top of the forum):  http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/576314/blue-screen-of-death-bsod-posting-instructions-windows-10-81-8-7-vista/

Also, Please do the following:
- open Event Viewer (run eventvwr.msc from the "Run" dialog)
- expand the Custom Views category (left click on the > next to the words "Custom Views")
- right click on Administrative Events
- select "Save all Events in Custom View as..."
- save the file as Admin.evtx
- zip up the file (right click on it, select "Send to", select "Compressed (zipped) folder")
- upload it with your next post (if it's too big, then upload it to a free file-hosting service and post a link here).

FYI - If we're looking for Event ID 41 errors (unexplained shutdowns), there's more info on that here:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2028504

While waiting for a reply, please monitor your temps with this free utility:  http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

I'm asking for all the reports just in case you can't get back into Windows for some reason.

If you're unable to get into Windows, then please start with these free, bootable diagnostics:  http://www.carrona.org/initdiag.html

No need to test the SSD as you've already done it with the Hiren's tools

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 dienda

dienda
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2015 - 02:22 PM

Hello!

I somehow managed to boot back into Windows. I removed my USB drive so I think that might have been the problem somehow. I got the information you requested. However, I'm getting an error message when trying to use Event Viewer saying MMC can not create snap-in.

The other information you requested is attached. 

· OS - explained above
· x64
· Win 7
· OS was obtained through University
· Different ages for different parts. Nothing more than 3 years old.
· OS Installation times explained above

· CPU- Pentium G3258
· Radeon HD 7970
· MotherBoard - EVGA Stinger Z87
· Power Supply - EVGA Hadron 500W
Desktop

Attached Files

#4 dienda

dienda
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2015 - 08:04 PM

More weird stuff is happening. I tried using Windows update again. I got through all of the "important" updates and was working my way through the optional ones when it goes into system restore on restart. I tried unsuccessfully to restore to one of the many system restore points created during all of these updates. I kept getting the error message 0x8000ffff during each of these attempts. I got the same error message on the very last system restore point and as I'm opening my phone to post here the computer boots up into Windows saying that the system restore was successful after it literally just told me it wasn't.

Might be unrelated but I got the event viewer working and I was getting an error message Event ID 11 ATAPI every minute or so for the entire time the computer was on and the desktop was beeping every 2 minutes. I downloaded and ran HDtune and the error messages randomly stopped along with the beeping.

This is easily the most bizarre list of symptoms I've ever experienced. Any guidance on where to look next would be amazing. Thanks. 

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,073 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:24 AM

Posted 23 July 2015 - 09:03 AM

Your UEFI/BIOS (version 4.6.5) dates from 2014.  Please check at the manufacturer's website to see if there are any UEFI/BIOS updates available for your system.  If you are able to install the update through Windows (without booting from an external drive), then go ahead and update it.  WARNING - if the computer might shut down during this procedure, please don't do it, as this may physically damage the computer and prevent it from booting.

Only 4 Windows Updates installed.  Most systems have 300 or more.  Please visit Windows Update and get ALL available updates (it may take several trips to get them all).

I see nothing else untoward in the reports that you provided.  I still need the Event Viewer report.

If the updates don't help, then please start with these free hardware diagnostics:  http://www.carrona.org/hwdiag.html

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users