Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Outlook Contacts Recovery, From Unbootable Faulty Hdd

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 gsmith

gsmith

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:20 AM

Posted 11 July 2006 - 03:31 AM

Hi, Does anyone know how I can recover MS Outlook contacts and email information (inbox/outbox etc) that is embedded into a faulty unbootable HDD which can be read as a slave?

I did not backup to a .pst file . Is it possible to get to it please?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:20 AM

Posted 11 July 2006 - 03:46 AM

Have you run a file search on just that drive, while slaved?

Start> Search <drive>:\.pst
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 gsmith

gsmith
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:20 AM

Posted 11 July 2006 - 04:35 AM

Have you run a file search on just that drive, while slaved?

Start> Search <drive>:\.pst

I didn't export to a pst file. The information I'm trying to recover is within Outlook somewhere... but where?

#4 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:20 AM

Posted 11 July 2006 - 11:54 AM

It should still be saved as a .pst file somewheres within OE.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#5 Ronbo

Ronbo

• Members
  • 333 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:20 AM

Posted 11 July 2006 - 08:05 PM

Hi gsmith :thumbsup: to BC

MS Outlook, not Outlook Express stores the data you are looking for as an .ost file in the following location:
C:\Documents and Settings\your user name\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook

You will have to set your folder options to show Hidden Files and Folders to find any of these files.

If you are talking about Outlook Express, I am not sure exactly where it is because I do not use OE, but OE's address book appears to be stored in this location:
C:\Documents and Settings\your user name\Application Data\Microsoft\Address Book

There is also a folder named Outlook in the same folder that the address book is located in:
(C:\Documents and Settings\your user name\Application Data\Microsoft)
This folder does not contain any of my MS Outlook data in it so I strongly suspect that this is the Outlook Express storage folder. The data file in this folder has an .NK2 file extension to it.

This advice is a little late to help you now but on your new install of MS Outlook I would recommend installing the MS Personal Folders Backup tool which you can get for free from MS at this this site:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...;DisplayLang=en
It only takes a couple of clicks to backup your personal information to a file which you may store somewhere else to protect your data.

Good luck
There is no justice, there is just us.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users