Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Backup image saved to external HDD, and still use external for storage?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 beachfeet

beachfeet

• Members
  • 157 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:14 PM

Posted 19 July 2015 - 08:08 PM

Hello Everyone,

I was wondering if there was a way to create a backup image, of my internal HDD, and save it to an external HDD. The OS installed on the internal, is Windows 7 Home Premium 32bit. I know how to create a backup image, and save it to either a disk, or a flash drive, but I was wondering if there was a way to save the image, on to my 3TB external HDD, and still be able to save other documents, onto the external HDD, after the image is saved.  As of now, the external is empty, and I am thinking that there is a way to create a separate partition, on that external drive, and save it just for the backup image. 3TB is a lot of storage, and if I would be able to keep all my needed documents, in addition to a backup image, all in one place, I would be one happy camper. The documents that I plan on moving to the external drive are from various computers, and I would still like to be able to access them, after connecting the drive. In case something were to happen, with my primary PC, I will still have everything organized.  I may have to start another topic, for my next question, but I believe that it relates to the question above, in some ways.  If it is possible to save a Windows image, on this external drive, would it be possible to save more than one backup image, from a different computer? If I could keep backups, of both my Windows OS, and Linux machines, on one external drive, that would be outstanding.  If you would be able to please help me complete this task, I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you for your time, and have a wonderful day.

Ps. The external drive, is a Western Digital My Book Studio Silver 3TB. I believe that it was originally sold for a Mac, but I have had no problems using it with alternative operating systems. Thank you again.

Edited by hamluis, 21 July 2015 - 03:17 PM.
Moved from Win 7 to External Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,962 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:14 PM

Posted 19 July 2015 - 08:20 PM

Yes, an image is just a file, so multiple images a can be stored on a single drive along with other files. My backup drives hold images of all my own computers as well as backup images I hold for some friends and acquaintances whose computers I have done maintenance on. The same drives hold my own backups of music etc.

Many of my drives are Western Digital, so I use the free Acronis TrueImage WD Special Edition that WD make available for WD owners to clone and backup their drives. This software only operates if there is a WD drive connected to the system, I also use the equivalent Seagate TI when I backup to and from some Seagate drives I use. Either will use other brands of drive in combination.

There are also imaging utilities that work with any drive such as Macrium Reflect Free Edition or Drive Image XML

Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 beachfeet

beachfeet
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 157 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:14 PM

Posted 20 July 2015 - 04:01 PM

Thank you for the reply, Platypus. The two imaging utilities that I’ve used in the past were Macrium Free, and Clonezilla. I have used Macrium, to transfer a cloned image, to an alternative HDD, and I have used Clonezilla, for Linux backups. However, this is the first time that I have read about Acronis TrueImage WD Special Edition, and I will be looking into that. The drive that holds Windows 7 is also a WD, so the Acronis may be what I am going for.

Previously, when I would save an image backup, I could not add anything else to the backup drive. I have saved to both flash drives, and external (Not as large as this 3TB) and once the image was saved, I would have to place it in the cabinet, and call it a day. If I wanted to create another backup, I would have to grab another drive. Is it possible, for you to please post a link, to the proper steps needed, in order to save multiple images, and still use the drive for storage? Thank you again, Platypus.

Edited by beachfeet, 20 July 2015 - 04:02 PM.

#4 Bailifei

Bailifei

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:14 AM

Posted 20 July 2015 - 08:44 PM

I think Platypus has made it clear that a backup image is just like any other type of files that can be saved anywhere. So you just choose to save the image file to ( or set the destination as)  that external hard drive in whatever backup software you're using.  The image files will be automatically stored in the external hard drive, usually along with creating a fold.  Anyway, that's how I work with free easeus todo backup.  I'm sure macrium reflect or acronis ture image will do it in similar way.

Edited by hamluis, 21 July 2015 - 03:09 PM.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,106 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:14 AM

Posted 21 July 2015 - 03:16 PM

Saving multiple images...is no different than saving any file.  It's the creation of the image where the steps may vary.

As for such steps...each software program reflects the documentation necessary to use it properly...all you have to do is decide to read such, at the website of the program developer and follow the instructions provided by the developer.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users