Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Intermittent crashing -- possibly SSD? Explorer also occasionally reboots.

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Don Keigh

Don Keigh

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:49 PM

Posted 19 July 2015 - 06:34 PM

Hi, BleepingComputer folks.

Long time user of your fantastic tools, first time poster.

I'm helping a friend diagnose this laptop. Here are the model numbers and small history of it, which I feel may help point in the correct direction for a diagnosis: 
Model is a Toshiba Satellite C870. 
This laptop was supposed to come with Windows 8, but the owner downgraded to 7 Pro OEM 64 bit from the factory. This configuration worked OK for around 3 years, but the hard drive started getting bad sectors 4 months ago. The owner enlisted my help, so I created some recovery discs while the drive still functioned, installed a Silicon Power S60 240gb SSD, then reinstalled Toshiba's OEM windows 7 from those recovery discs.

Everything worked fine for about 2 months, but now the laptop gets random BSOD's. Sometimes they'll happen within 2 minutes of booting up, and other times, one can run the laptop for 48 hours straight without problem.  They don't seem to be tied to any form of user input or interaction.  

Quick summary of the BSOD is:

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.48
Locale ID: 1033

Additional information about the problem:
BCCode: f4
BCP1: 0000000000000003
BCP2: FFFFFA800CE85060
BCP3: FFFFFA800CE85340
BCP4: FFFFF800031C8E20
OS Version: 6_1_7601
Service Pack: 1_0
Product: 256_1

Things I've tried so far:
The device manager is not showing any obvious driver issues (no yellow triangles with ! marks), and Windows Update states everything is up to date. 
sfc /scannow command from Elevated command prompt also states that everything in Windows is groovy. 
I updated the SSD's firmwares, and got another BSOD about 10 minutes afterwards, so I'm going to rule that out, haha.

I reconnected the solid state drive twice, it's still giving intermittent bluescreens. Also did a teardown of the laptop to make sure there wasn't a loose connection from the motherboard to the SATA connector, but it appears to be directly soldered to the mainboard.

Also ran a chkdsk /f on the suspect drive, it came out clear.
Followed that up with a drive health utility on Hiren's Boot Disc. Also came out clear.

Also of note:  Since this seems to be an intermittent problem, I will boot the laptop & open a text file to help check if the laptop has crashed & rebooted by the time I come back to it. While I had one of these text files open, I noticed that it looks like the Windows task bar keeps crashing. (In other words, the notification icons keep vanishing & reappearing, and the toolbar itself will turn black and drop away, then reappear a few moments later.) (The Auto-Hide feature for the task bar is disabled.)

I disabled all startup stuff except antivirus and Covenant Eyes via run > msconfig.

Any assistance you could provide for helping me root this problem out would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Don

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:49 PM

Posted 20 July 2015 - 06:18 AM

Just from the behavior you are describing, I suspect the Covenant Eyes program.  It's the only thing out of the ordinary that you have mentioned.

Try uninstalling it to see if that stops the problems.

Beyond that, it appears that this is a pirated copy of Windows.

As such we will not be able to provide assistance until you obtain a legal copy.

Good luck!

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 Don Keigh

Don Keigh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:49 PM

Posted 20 July 2015 - 11:11 AM

Beyond that, it appears that this is a pirated copy of Windows.

As such we will not be able to provide assistance until you obtain a legal copy.

Good luck!

Hi, thanks for responding.  

He has run the Covenant Eyes program on the laptop since he purchased it.  The only issue he's had with the software was when Google Chrome made a major update earlier this year.  I will disable Covenant Eyes & see if that changes anything.

Also, I'm confused as to how this could be a pirated copy of Windows.  He purchased it directly from Toshiba's website & paid extra for the downgrade from Windows 8 to Windows 7.  When I reinstalled Windows onto his replacement hard drive, I worked from the recovery discs that I personally burned from his specific laptop using Toshiba's software.   I am not trying to argue with you or anything, I am just letting you know that the installation on the laptop is direct from Toshiba.  Any idea on how to remedy this?  Should I contact Toshiba?   If so, where should I point them to show as proof of this?

Thanks,

Don

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users