Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win10 Update nice bonus feature

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 brainout

brainout

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:56 AM

Posted 19 July 2015 - 04:17 PM

As you know, build 10240 is Win10 Pro, and it's supposed to be the RTM.  So, will be pretty close to what the official Win10 Pro will do.  My version of that build, is 64-bit.

So you can test this bonus feature, yourself:  in Windows Updates, there's a box you can select to receive updates on 'other Microsoft products'.  I had that checked.

Last night, I was surprised to find that the download didn't merely include the Windows Defender update, but also Microsoft Office 2003 stuff (service packs and bug fixes).  Surprising, because as you probably heard, support for MS Office 2003 ended last year (April or August, I don't remember which).

But, I had checked that box, and successfully installed the 32-bit retail version of MS Office 2003 on the Win10 machine.  I had not installed Outlook, yet one of the 'updates' Win10 installed (cuz remember, we can't refuse them) was for Outlook.

Even so, this is a nice bonus, considering that support for MS Office 2003 ended.

Have you tried installing really old other MS software to your Win10, and then gotten it updated, even though its support period ended?

Edited by brainout, 19 July 2015 - 04:21 PM.

(Away, Notifications Off) AUDIT PREMISES, my guidon.  -- brainout or brainouty on vimeo or Youtube, domain brainout.net

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 x64

x64

• Members
  • 352 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:56 AM

Posted 20 July 2015 - 01:36 AM

As with other MS software, going EOL means that they will not engineer any NEW fixes/security updates or product improvements. Fixes/security updates/improvements engineered BEFORE the EOL date continue to be available.

The Outlook update offered when you did not have Outlook officially installed, probably referred to a component normally associated/distributed with Outlook, but which is shared by other MS products (and you had one of those installed).

x64

#3 brainout

brainout
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2015 - 05:31 AM

Makes sense, x64, thank you!

(Away, Notifications Off) AUDIT PREMISES, my guidon.  -- brainout or brainouty on vimeo or Youtube, domain brainout.net

#4 Drew1903

Drew1903

• Banned
  • 1,052 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2015 - 01:30 PM

WU is only 'auto' & w/out any sort of 'control' in Win10 Home.

#5 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,433 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:56 PM

Posted 20 July 2015 - 01:47 PM

I'm running Windows 10 Home, build 10240.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#6 x64

x64

• Members
  • 352 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2015 - 02:06 PM

Ummmmm......... I've seen a lot of people saying that. The truth is that they have only seen the insider preview, in which automatic updating IS permanently enabled (as that suits MS's testing regime), even the latest insider preview builds will have that same setting locked.

Wait until the 29th to see what really comes out in the RTM. I'd be very surprised if it is not similar to win7/8/8.1

x64

#7 CmmTch

CmmTch

• Members
  • 106 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:56 AM

Posted 20 July 2015 - 08:52 PM

AFAIK all versions of W10 before RTM are the Pro version, at least they were for me since I started with W10 in 9xxx. I'm running W7 Home Premium SP1 and every update I've gotten for W10 have been the pro version. The most recent one, W10 TH1 10240 does allow updates to be deferred, this is the first of the technical preview versions that had that choice.
Steve

#8 brainout

brainout
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2015 - 09:20 PM

Yeah, deferred.  But you can't pick and choose.

#9 Drew1903

Drew1903

• Banned
  • 1,052 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2015 - 10:33 PM

Ummmmm......... I've seen a lot of people saying that. The truth is that they have only seen the insider preview, in which automatic updating IS permanently enabled (as that suits MS's testing regime), even the latest insider preview builds will have that same setting locked.

Wait until the 29th to see what really comes out in the RTM. I'd be very surprised if it is not similar to win7/8/8.1

x64

The RTM is not coming on the 29th. Build 10240 is the RTM. What is being released July 29 the GA (General Availability) of the Windows 10OS. The RTM of Windows 10 went to OEMs this past week.

#10 JohnnyJammer

JohnnyJammer

• Members
  • 1,108 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:56 PM

Posted 20 July 2015 - 10:42 PM

I liked windows 10 that much i have made it my default OS now and loaded everything on it.

That is a big statement coming from someone like my self who hated Windows 8.*.

Win10 is well....10 times better.

#11 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 11,784 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:56 PM

Posted 20 July 2015 - 11:31 PM

The EULA reads:

“The software periodically checks for system and app updates, and downloads and installs them for you. You may obtain updates only from Microsoft or authorized sources, and Microsoft may need to update your system to provide you with those updates. By accepting this agreement, you agree to receive these types of automatic updates without any additional notice.”

Microsoft confirms Windows 10 updates are compulsory

Edited by NickAu, 20 July 2015 - 11:32 PM.

#12 x64

x64

• Members
  • 352 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2015 - 12:22 AM

The EULA reads:

“The software periodically checks for system and app updates, and downloads and installs them for you. You may obtain updates only from Microsoft or authorized sources, and Microsoft may need to update your system to provide you with those updates. By accepting this agreement, you agree to receive these types of automatic updates without any additional notice.”

Maybe read that a different way??...

"The software periodically checks for system and app updates, and downloads and installs them for you. You may obtain updates only from Microsoft or authorized sources"

then

"and Microsoft may need to update your system to provide you with those updates. By accepting this agreement, you agree to receive these types of automatic updates without any additional notice."

What is the point in mentioning 'forced updating of the update mechanism' if it is not the meat for the agreement condition that follows?   If the whole OS was being force updated, what would be the point in singling out the update mechanism in the text?

Spock

x64

(An after thought - I suppose - broadening the scope of the second part of the text above - It could be used to cover forced installation of a roll-up that kept a target system within a supportable band such as the April 2014 Win 8 compulsory update.)

Edited by x64, 21 July 2015 - 12:27 AM.

#13 brainout

brainout
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2015 - 06:16 AM

Yeah, and that language can be read, as something more ominous:  if MSFT doesn't like some application on your system which you independently installed, they can bork it.  Even the Pro (i.e., build 10240) EULA (which is still not final, mind you) is 'interpreted' by other programs within Settings.  For example, if you have Malware protection, they replace it with their own.  I saw that in settings somewhere, but forget where it is now. It is in the installation wording, too, and I thought I saw it in the EULA, but I'd have to recheck.

Assuming this is true, I can see it from their side: they are trying to create an impregnable silo.  I get that.  Problem is, historically everyone but Mickeysoft does a better job of protection.  They seem to want to be the only source for doing that, with a limited 'approval' of third parties.. all in the name of safety, their perennial sales 'hook'.  Well, I don't buy it anymore.

The more I think about the ramifications, the more disturbed I am about the whole construct.  Definitely a move to subscription service when the 10 years ends, and definitely Win10 is the prototype for that.  Wouldn't mind a paid subscription, but do mind its hitlerian and dysfunctional settings.  A phone or even your washing machine has the same built-in 'take it or leave it' ultimatum: but an OS which is dysfunctional, can wreck your life.  I can't afford that.  I've lost so much to this, already.

REALLY hope they rethink the licensing terms.  Or restate them to allow us the independence we desperately need, so we can change stuff they bork.  Even if they do, no more than two of my laptops with easily-removed hard drives, will get Win10.  Can't afford the risk, to my mission-critical machines.

Edited by brainout, 21 July 2015 - 06:38 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users