Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need help figuring out what version of Linux to get.

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Crazykappa

Crazykappa

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:56 AM

Posted 19 July 2015 - 04:10 PM

Need help figuring out what version to go with, my main concern is, being able to still play games. I have a gaming laptop that is getting to the end of its usefullness, currently, i can still play AAA new releases, but only if i have it on lower settings. What i am concerned about is, i know there is emulation software (Wine i believe, and i think there are others as well) so you can run games meant for Windows, but how much overhead does that take, and will i still be able to play those same games.

here is info from the template.

Speccy snapshot is here http://speccy.piriform.com/results/R5hdKhqvOS6kyHDp8a8xX31

I surf the web, check my email, stream some movies, and play video games.

Easy setup would be nice, but i can put in the work if need be.

Some support would be nice as well, but just talking self help material, dont expect actually support.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,427 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:56 PM

Posted 19 July 2015 - 05:01 PM

Hi Crazykappa :welcome: to BC and the Linux section.

What i am concerned about is, i know there is emulation software (Wine i believe, and i think there are others as well) so you can run games meant for Windows

You may get lucky and I say again, You may get lucky if the games are supported thru steam.

Windows software will not run in Linux, Sometimes you can get it to work in Wine but even then it's hit and miss.

I surf the web, check my email, stream some movies,

That is no problem.

With your PC specs most distros should run without too much drama.

My suggestion is to download Linux Mint, Burn the ISO to DVD or USB, Then boot your pc into a live environment and try it out. Do you know how to do this? If you do not, No problem we can guide you.

Download Linux Mint here.

http://www.linuxmint.com/download.php

#3 Crazykappa

Crazykappa
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2015 - 05:35 PM

A few of the game are from steam site, but most are not, most are Windows only, so emulation would be my only option. Are there better options then Wine, obviously i will try on Wine anyways, but are there others?  If the gaming part does not work out, i guess i could always do the duel boot rout, at minimal, i need to stop email/finanacial transactions on Windows, perhaps even browsing.

Yes i know how to burn a ISO, can i just mount it, and run it off a virtual drive?

#4 Crazykappa

Crazykappa
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2015 - 05:38 PM

Also looks really does not matter either, I'm running Windows 7, but i am running classic theme, and in performance options, all effects/bleep that makes it look "pretty" is turned off. I want performance over looks any day.

#5 marcoose777

marcoose777

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:56 AM

Posted 19 July 2015 - 06:11 PM

Appologies guys, but have you tried distro watch, I've pointed you toward the top 10. Any beginner will be best off starting with a well supported fairly automated brand of linux: i.e. one of the top ten. Having said that and checked what's in the top 10, stick to the top 2 and Opensuse, some of the others could be a bit hair raising for a newcomer (Arch, Fedora ... think SELinux policies). When installing keep it simple and avoid things like LUKS, I'm assuming you're connecting to the webz through a firewalled router, and only trusted people have access (friends and family).

#6 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,008 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2015 - 08:47 PM

Also looks really does not matter either, I'm running Windows 7, but i am running classic theme, and in performance options, all effects/bleep that makes it look "pretty" is turned off. I want performance over looks any day.

You won't need to worry to much about that as linux should run faster than W7.  If you want even better performance then run a lighter desktop, Mint Xfce 17.1, but with your system I wouldn't bother.  I ran Linux Mint Mate for a while and it was good for me then, good for a starter.  I now like Mint KDE better!  Real easy to customize stuff and no need for Compiz which I found glitchy with my old laptop.

With plenty of harddrive space you might as well dual boot, and, it looks like you just installed that W7 OS.

Remember, with AMD Graphics you might run into issues, don't let that stop you as there will be a solution or a different Distro.  If you have issues with the first one-try Booting into "Compatibility Mode".  Hit the Space Bar or Tab during the Mint Countdown scroll down and chose Compatibility Mode.

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=193285

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=59&t=187910

Welcome and have fun with the LiveLinuxDVD, run a few and play around with them and see what you like.  Be careful though as you have access to all your windows files from there.

pcpunk

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#7 DeimosChaos

DeimosChaos

• BC Advisor
  • 1,420 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2015 - 09:43 PM

Not to discourage, but typically getting games to run at all in Wine is a bit more of a Linux advanced users type skill set (or at least when you run into problems, and you will run into problems). If you really want to try it, use Play On Linux. It is basically a man in the middle installer for games. It does all the heavy lifting for you and installs the right type of wine package, etc. Some games may work okay, typically they are older games. New games are probably not going to even be in their repository of ones you can install.

There are some decent games on Steam that will run on linux with their Steam on Linux. Dying Light, CS:GO, Half Life, Left 4 Dead 2, Spec Ops the Line, Borderlands 2, and various other ones.

OS - Ubuntu 14.04/16.04 & Windows 10
Custom Desktop PC / Lenovo Y580 / Sager NP8258 / Dell XPS 13 (9350)

#8 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 7,883 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:56 AM

Posted 20 July 2015 - 12:45 PM

how much overhead does that take

It's bound to be more than using Windows, since when you're playing a game in Windows your computer just has to run:

OS + game

Whereas using Linux and Wine your computer has to run:

OS + emulator + game

So if you have games that are not available on Linux, and as you already have Windows, I would consider keeping Windows for the games and using Linux for everything else.

I surf the web, check my email, stream some movies, and play video games.

All of that is just as easy to do in Linux as in Windows, and you may find you can use the same applications in many cases.

Linux can be addictive though. I've been using Windows for 16 years, and installed my first Linux distro (Ubuntu) just last year. Windows has never been anything more to me than a way to get my computer to work so that I could surf the web, check email and whatever. I never could care how the operating system itself works, just as long as it did.

Linux has changed all that, and become a hobby in itself. :)

#9 Crazykappa

Crazykappa
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2015 - 04:52 PM

I went with the Linux mint 17.2, so far so good. I did spend about 6-8 hours seeing how the gaming is like, was able to get a few games to work, even ones not specifically supported by play on linux, but the quality is not the same. Then i did some research, even most of the steam games that say they support linux, are just wrapping the game in Wine, few are native Linux, and even with those that are may not run as well as on Windows. Becuase if you have a discrete graphics card, who's manufacture does not make a package for Linux, the general drives Linux uses does not function as well as the manufactures. Or atleast that is what i have read.

So i will go the duel boot rout, Windows for games, but what other practices should i switch over? The main reason i wanted to insteall in first place is security, use linux for all finacial transactions. Should i jsut limit my Linux use to just that, keep by browsing/downloading on the Windows side, so to lession the risk to the Linux side? Or shoud i migrate all practices other then gaming to Linux, because of better security, and less likely a virus would take hold in Linux.

I keep all my important stuff backed up, so i have no problem reformatting every now and then, (do so around ever 6 mo) and am doing a clean install right now, now that ive decided what im going with.

Thank you very much!

#10 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,427 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:56 PM

Posted 20 July 2015 - 05:44 PM

I went with the Linux mint 17.2, so far so good

Good choice.

Or shoud i migrate all practices other then gaming to Linux, because of better security, and less likely a virus would take hold in Linux.

Keep Windows for your games, Remember to keep Windows updated and to use antivirus on it.

Use Linux for everything else.

Have you installed Linux Mint yet?

#11 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,008 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2015 - 06:02 PM

I went with the Linux mint 17.2, so far so good

Good choice.

Have you installed Linux Mint yet?

Yes, and which one!  Some of us love to hear what others have tried for the first Install.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#12 Crazykappa

Crazykappa
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2015 - 06:08 PM

Just installed a few min ago, its updating now, next i will be reformatting Windows. What does the shared partition do? Also would it be any help to create a install partition, for games/apps, so my C drive can be solely for Windows OS? If so what size should C be? Does linux mint have a disk managment program, so i can resize the linux partition? Think i might have made it a bit too small if i will be doing everything but gaming.

Thanks again for all your help!

Edited by Crazykappa, 20 July 2015 - 06:09 PM.

#13 Crazykappa

Crazykappa
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2015 - 06:11 PM

I have 15.7GB free on linux drive, will that be enough, or should i increase? Also what do i need to be running as far as security?

Edited by Crazykappa, 20 July 2015 - 06:14 PM.

#14 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,008 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2015 - 06:23 PM

For now just run this in Terminal sudo ufw enable then to see status sudo ufw status .

Here is an article but don't let it all confuse you, for now all you need is the above and you will be secure.

http://www.howtogeek.com/115116/how-to-configure-ubuntus-built-in-firewall/

Later you can look into more if you like but most I've read about don't do much more except for scans with ClamAV etc.  Gotta go!

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#15 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,008 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2015 - 06:26 PM

Just installed a few min ago, its updating now, next i will be reformatting Windows. What does the shared partition do? Also would it be any help to create a install partition, for games/apps, so my C drive can be solely for Windows OS? If so what size should C be? Does linux mint have a disk managment program, so i can resize the linux partition? Think i might have made it a bit too small if i will be doing everything but gaming.

Thanks again for all your help!

You should have Defraged windows before this install, don't know if you were advised of this yet.  Also, wait to Reformat windows, that might mess up the bootloader  that linux has just written.  Wait on some better help than me.  Nick is still online.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users