Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

D-link Dsl-g604t Issues

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 noelckc

noelckc

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:59 AM

Posted 11 July 2006 - 02:52 AM

Hi guys, i have the modem/router/wireless all in one D-LINK DSL-G604T.

Everything is fine except for one minor issue that is more of a pain then anything else. To play by play i mean host games online, i must port forward my ports. I do this and good, everything is fine, im happy i can play games i can host etc.

But when i shut down my computer, and boot it up the next morning, i have to re-portforward again, so that i can do the same thing host/play. This has become and issue because i play most days and have to forward my ports everyday.

I have tried saving the settings and rebooting, but it doesnt work, when i turn my modem off. By turning my computier/modem off, i mean just shutingdown the computer, and when it has done that, i turn off all the power points.

So to the point, i would like to find a way that can save my ports forwarded and save me doing it each time.

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Klinkaroo

Klinkaroo

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:59 AM

Posted 11 July 2006 - 04:20 PM

Ok... If I understand right you turn off your modem at night by unplugging it (or turning off the powerbar) and you want to be able to save your settings for the port forwarding... May I ask why you turn your modem off? You could leave it on at night it isn't something that demands alot of power...

#3 noelckc

noelckc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2006 - 03:18 AM

To your reply klinkaroo...My router/modem/wirless all in one, needs power to run. Agreed. So to turn off the thing, i jsut switch off the power point...as it has no "off/on button". To your suggestion i leave it on all night....Its wirless..im a bit paranoyed that someone may hack into my wifi network and abuse my internet, that is why i turn it off.

#4 Klinkaroo

Klinkaroo

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:59 AM

Posted 12 July 2006 - 08:16 AM

Do you use the wifi? If not you can just turn that function off by going into the settings.

If you do use it you can secure it by setting up the WEP and other forms of wireless encryption. This will make it alot more difficult for someone to use your internet. These are like passcodes that you have to type into every wireless pc so that they can acess the router. To hack this you have to be pretty good hacker and I think that most of them have better things to do then to hack theire neighbours wifi... There are so many unsecured networks out there that they probably won't even bother and just go with the guy across the street that didn't encrypt his connection.

#5 noelckc

noelckc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2006 - 02:10 AM

Yes i do use the WIFI on my laptop when other family members use the main computer. Any other suggestions on my orgiginal subject and not WIFI problems.

#6 noelckc

noelckc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2006 - 02:14 AM

??

#7 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:59 AM

Posted 20 July 2006 - 02:32 AM

When you turn the power strip off you effectively reset your modem\router. If you are that worried, unplug the ethernet cable between the modem and router. If you have the encryption enabled I don't see a real reason to be worried.
In short, if you kill the power you kill your settings. They is no work around.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#8 Snapper

Snapper

• Members
  • 550 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:59 PM

Posted 20 July 2006 - 07:15 PM

I find that strangethat it loses it;s settings. its not supposed to. they retain their settings after even long power loss. when you save your settings in the router's configuration, they stay, its the type of memory that is in them, flash memory.
what i suggest to check, is make sure you have a static ip address before you port forward through your router. d-link uses 192.168.0.1, and by default, dynamically gives out ip's from 192.168.0.100 and on, so, give yourself an ip lower than that, like 192.168.0.50, anything below 100. for ease, use the router's ip for dnsm and default for subnet mask.
your software firewall could be an issue, if you have any, dont forget windows xp sp2 firewall. before you do any of this, go to this link and get and flash your router's firmware, then you have all the latest hoyfixes!!
post back with any questions!.

http://support.dlink.com/products/view.asp...tid=DSL%2DG604T

i think you may have the numbers mixed up on the model, so check them on the link before you download the firmware k.
dave
Google...Google.....browse..read

#9 noelckc

noelckc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2006 - 06:17 AM

Thanks, ill do everything us ay n post back

0 user(s) are reading this topic