Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dell Factory Restored and now all my programs are gone!

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 sugarwaffles

sugarwaffles

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:42 PM

Posted 19 July 2015 - 08:36 AM

The other day my computer just wouldnt start up.  So I was trying everything...check disk, start up repair disk, etc.  But computer would just get stuck on the windows logo screen.  There were no restore points, nothing.  So scary.  This startup repair thing came up and i tried the dell datasafe program.  I was able to do the emergency backup to my external and restore it.  However, I only got my files and none of my programs.  Microsoft office is asking for the key and I dont have it anymore.  I think it came with the computer.  I dont know how to get my programs back.

Is there a way to get my computer back the way it was before this dell datasafe emergency program so I can get my programs back?  Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TinoNgombo

TinoNgombo

• Members
  • 80 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:42 PM

Posted 19 July 2015 - 05:53 PM

Hello :)

So, you do not have any restore points?

#3 sugarwaffles

sugarwaffles
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2015 - 06:16 PM

Hello!

I have no restore points at this time.  Before this very strange incident, I had some and I routinely backed up my computer and made restore points. 

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

#4 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,602 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2015 - 06:22 PM

Hi sugarwaffles :)

It seems that your computer has been Factory Reset. I'm sorry to tell you that this operation cannot be undone and so you won't be able to recover your programs. You'll have to reinstall them one by one. There's no way to "rollback" a Factory Reset, sorry.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,240 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2015 - 06:23 PM

If this was a factory reset back to the time of purchase then you are pretty much out of luck. You will need to reinstall all your programs since purchase. You may be able to get the Office key by calling Microsoft and getting hold of a live person at this number. Did you register Office with a Microsoft Account?

https://support.office.com/en-ca/article/Find-your-Product-Key-for-Office-2010-1e8ef39c-2bd4-4581-a0ae-5cf25ebed489

(888) 571-2048

#6 sugarwaffles

sugarwaffles
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2015 - 06:24 PM

I wish i knew that the dell program did that before I backed it up.  I had never used it before and it was the ONLY thing that kept popping up.

There's no way to find an old restore point somewhere in the depths of my computer?

#7 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,602 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2015 - 06:25 PM

All your Restore Points were deleted when you did a Factory Reset on your system. Like I said, it's not possible to rollback this action. If you took an a system image in the past, you could try to restore it but if you don't, then you're pretty much out of luck.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#8 sugarwaffles

sugarwaffles
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2015 - 06:25 PM

Honestly I dont remember registering for the office account.  It was many years ago.  I will have to see if I can find some more of my install paperwork.  But I can try contacting Microsoft...maybe they can look me up by name.

#9 sugarwaffles

sugarwaffles
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2015 - 06:27 PM

I think that I have a system image on a CD.  I have the winows 7 repair disk that I created.  Would that help?

#10 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,602 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2015 - 06:28 PM

A Windows 7 Repair Disc doesn't contain any image of the system, so you cannot use it to restore your programs or files, sorry.

unite_blue.png

#11 sugarwaffles

sugarwaffles
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2015 - 06:34 PM

So the dell datasafe program actually just saves files?  Once I restored the system it asked me to sign up for some pay service to bring back more of my files.  I dont get it.  Could my programs be in there but they are making me pay for them?

#12 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,602 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2015 - 06:38 PM

There will be nothing unless you actually used that program to backup your programs and files.

unite_blue.png

#13 sugarwaffles

sugarwaffles
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2015 - 06:52 PM

I chose to backup all files.

#14 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,602 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2015 - 06:56 PM

It appears that the Dell DataSafe service was closed in June however, so I don't know if you can even access your data back.

https://www.delldatasafe.com/

unite_blue.png

#15 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,554 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:42 AM

Posted 19 July 2015 - 06:57 PM

Dell DataSafe Restore

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users