Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

virus over wireless

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4 replies to this topic

#1 pineappledank

pineappledank

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2015 - 08:28 AM

Hey guys, dumb question... I had a family member over last night with an infected macbook. I had to connect to my WiFi via smart router provided by ISP. Anyhow, the connection required me to put my encrypted pw obviously. So my concern was after I connected the infected macbook to my WiFi with no other pc's on at the time I was able to download the proper software to free the macbook of any malware/viruses(I thought macbook were not capable of viruses, especially those written for windows). I was under the impression macbooks act as carriers for window viruses even though macs cannot be infected by such code. Main point is I have unplugged both modem and smart router since fixing family members pc using my network. Mind you, this person has no knowledge on computers and browses pron very often; rendering them vulnerable to malicious attacks. Long story short I'm afraid to reconnect my router and modem let alone connect my windows laptop to the network without concern if any malicious content(malware,Spyware,bots,etc...) may be attached to my router or modem or network somehow. Any information to put me at ease much appreciated. I am new to BC so hello and thank you so much!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 O.T.T.

O.T.T.

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:01 AM

Posted 19 July 2015 - 03:15 PM

Hi and welcome to BC !  :welcome:

The thing that I would do is change the "encrypted pw" for your connection. That's the only thing that could be exposed, depending on what sort of malware there was on the Macbook. Routers/Modems don't get infected that easy !

If you're still unsure you should post in Am I infected? What do I do?.

OTT

Please ask Google why some of my links don't work anymore !

#3 pineappledank

pineappledank
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2015 - 03:23 PM

O.T.T thank you so much for your kind words and informative help. I'm not wanting to upset any moderators here, but, I made a post about the same situation there Just in case. Would any of these post get flagged? Also, would you recommend any programs for best scans

#4 O.T.T.

O.T.T.

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:01 AM

Posted 19 July 2015 - 03:33 PM

If you made a post there, this one will get locked (I suspect).

The good people of BC will help you further in the other post.  :hug:

OTT

Please ask Google why some of my links don't work anymore !

#5 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,849 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:01 PM

Posted 19 July 2015 - 04:11 PM

Members reposted topic here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/583449/infected-macbook-infect-wifi/

To avoid confusion for those trying to help and for the member. Please continue there.
This topic now closed.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users