Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win 7 Starter and no Win10 icon

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 athegn

athegn

• Members
  • 147 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:56 AM

Posted 19 July 2015 - 07:39 AM

I want to upgrade my Win 7 Starter ACER netbook to Win 10; using the free upgrade (I am adding extra memory and making sure at least 25GB of disk space is available).

I have made sure I have Windows auto update running but found that a number of updates were not activated including "Update for Windows 7 (KB3035583)" which has GWX.exe in it; this update now activated and shown as "Installation status: successful" However the Win 10 app icon does not show in my task bar, nor under Customize, as an option to show etc. A Windows search does not find GWX.exe.

Even after several reboots the icon is not available.

Note I have already registered my laptop for Win 10.

Any advice please?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tigertje

tigertje

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:56 AM

Posted 19 July 2015 - 08:04 AM

try to find Gwxdetector.exe maybe that this is a hidden file if you dont find them then you must contact microsoft.

#3 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,660 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:56 PM

Posted 19 July 2015 - 08:57 AM

Hi athegn :)

If you go in C:\Windows\System32, do you have a folder called GWX? If so, go in it and execute GWX.exe. Let me know if the icon appears in the icon tray after or not.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#4 athegn

athegn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 147 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2015 - 11:19 AM

Aura thank you for your reply.

Yes I have "C:\Windows\System32, do you have a folder called GWX" Ran GWX.exe and even after reboot still do not have icon.

In Regedit "\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\GWX\Trayicon" Name: Default, type:REG_SZ value is (value not set) and  IconVisibility, REG_DWORD value is 0x0000001 (1)

Note also now activated "Update for Windows 7 (KB2952664)"

I have also now done this:-

"Action Center >> Change Action Center settings >> Customer Experience Improvement Program settings >> click Yes I want to participate in the program >> Save changes."

Also ran the bat file in this thread:-

http://www.sevenforums.com/windows-updates-activation/371499-way-download-kb3035583-4.html; post #33

Reboots after each action still does not bring up icon.

Is this information useful?

#5 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,660 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2015 - 11:43 AM

Yes it is. You can follow the solutions listed in the thread I linked in my thread below.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/579044/support-thread-for-the-get-windows-10-app-not-working/

Basically, you'll have to use the little batch application a user made to see if you can get the "Get Windows 10" app to work.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#6 athegn

athegn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 147 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2015 - 12:39 PM

Windows 7 Starter SP1 installed
Windows Updater on; only 65 optional updates pending
Important updates run automatically so updater not blocked
Genuine Windows; Acer Inspire One netbook.
Not running Enterprise or RT etc
Not managed as part of school or business; home use only.
Not sure about question 7?

Ran script

Final message:-

"SUCCESS: attempted to run the scheduled task "\Microsoft\Windows\Setup\gwx\refreshgwxconfig"

Ran dism /online /get-packages | findstr 3035583 and 2952664; and both reported as present.

But still no icon

#7 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,660 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2015 - 01:16 PM

I recall the KB3035583 having prerequisite updates to be installed in order to work. It's possible that they are in the 65 optional ones you have. Assuming they aren't drivers updates.

unite_blue.png

#8 athegn

athegn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 147 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2015 - 01:26 PM

I wonder if RAM constraints are causing this problem. The 1GB RAM is constantly fully used and the HD has to take over, meaning long processing times. Perhaps I have been too impatient and reboot before all processes finished.

Tomorrow a 2GB RAM chip will arrive; I will see what this does to processing times.

#9 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,660 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2015 - 06:24 PM

Alright. In the meanwhile, can you follow the instructions below please, I would like to verify something.

EndqYRa.pngSystem File Checker (SFC)
Follow the instructions below to run a SFC scan on your system and to provide the CBS log in your next reply;
  • On Windows Vista & 7, click on the Windows Start Menu, then enter cmd in the search box, right-click on the cmd icon and select Spcusrh.pngRun as Administrator
  • On Windows 8, drag your cursor in the bottom-left corner, and right-click on the metro menu preview, then select Command Prompt (Admin);
  • On Windows 8.1, right click on the Windows logo in the bottom-left corner and select Command Prompt (Admin);
  • Enter the command below and press on Enter;
    sfc /scannow
    Note: There's a space between "sfc" and "/scannow";
  • Once the scan is complete, enter the command below and press on Enter
    copy %windir%\logs\cbs\cbs.log "%userprofile%\Desktop\cbs.txt"
  • A file called cbs.txt will have appeared on your Desktop. Upload the file on Dropbox, Google Drive or OneDrive and post the download URL for it here;
Note: Please note that the CBS.log is volatile, which means that if you don't upload it after the SFC scan is completed, it won't contains the information from the scan anymore. So archive it and upload it as soon as you can.

unite_blue.png

#10 athegn

athegn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 147 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2015 - 04:14 AM

I seem to have more problems.

Tried updating all 64 Windows updates but netbook failed. I guess hard disk got too hot; hopefully not damaged.

Have got into safe mode and will try to deleted Windows Updates that may be causing problems. chkdsk seems to fail with blue screen at Classpnp.sys

tried to create cbs.txt. Scannow ran but this:-

copy %windir%\logs\cbs\cbs.log "%userprofile%\Desktop\cbs.txt"

did not create a Desktop file; maybe I mistyped something, although I carefully checked my typing before pressing enter.

Windows has created two files to use when I next get online (wont go online from safemode?) *.dmp and *sysdata.xml files

Under Computer Management I see that there is a system partition of 100Mb with 70MB used; I wonder if that is recovery. I have a DVD that should be the recovery disk.

Any data on the netbook has been backed up so I could do a complete repair, if HD is not damaged!

Edited by athegn, 20 July 2015 - 04:15 AM.

#11 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,660 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2015 - 05:11 AM

Well, do you want to see if your hard drive is failing then?

unite_blue.png

#12 athegn

athegn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 147 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2015 - 05:19 AM

Maybe major problems. Notebook has to use a USB optical drive for recovery disk. I changed BIOS to boot from USB Drive but it gets stuck at "Checking for ATAPI Drive"

Well, do you want to see if your hard drive is failing then?

Yes how can I tell if chkdsk will not complete?

#13 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,660 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2015 - 05:19 AM

Do you have a UEFI BIOS?

unite_blue.png

#14 athegn

athegn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 147 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2015 - 08:06 AM

Should have waited for your reply.

I decided to do a complete recovery. That seemed to work.

I have InsydeH20 Setup Utility as my BOIS. I would like to know how to check my HD from that please?

I am leaving the machine to cool down before taxing the HD again; new memory not yet arrive, postman slow?

But I need to add a lot of Windows Update; the first being SP1 if I can find it.

Edited by athegn, 20 July 2015 - 08:07 AM.

#15 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,660 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2015 - 08:19 AM

I would rather use a SMART utility to check the HDD health and not the BIOS. Install every Important Windows Updates you can now and we'll do that after.

unite_blue.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users