Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hitmanpro.utm?

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 APLA01

APLA01

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:58 PM

Posted 19 July 2015 - 03:11 AM

I have used hitmanpro and hitmanpro.alert for about a week now on subscription (in combination with Avast! Free.) I recently found a hitmanpro product named hitmanpro.utm. I read what it was and it sounded like something amazing i can connect to every one of my devices but i couldn't find any way to use or activate it, No download links, no activation code, nothing. I really want to know 2 things,

1. is it compatible with my router (Motorola NVG589)
  2. How to use it

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:58 AM

Posted 19 July 2015 - 03:18 AM

From what I read about the product, it appears that you will have to buy a router with HitmanPro.UTM built into it to use the product. :)

Otherwise just connect the router like you would any other, and HitmanPro.UTM will do the job automatically.

#3 APLA01

APLA01
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2015 - 03:23 AM

Sorry for asking so much questions (I'm a geek in computers but a noob in routers) what did you mean connect the router

Otherwise just connect the router like you would any other, and HitmanPro.UTM will do the job automatically.

Is it a way i can connect Hitmanpro.utm without buying a new router?

#4 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2015 - 03:27 AM

See here for an explanation on how a router works.

Is it a way i can connect Hitmanpro.utm without buying a new router?

Unfortunately, no. It's not some sort of firmware that you can flash on your router - it is part of the router itself. So to use HitmanPro.UTM you will have to buy the router mentioned in the article.

#5 APLA01

APLA01
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2015 - 03:30 AM

Well then, i might not get the security till about a year or so, don't want to make such a big purchase... 

Maybe i can give a request to the makers of Hitmanpro to make a new feature where we don't have to buy a new router

#6 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2015 - 03:33 AM

Or you can instead use security on the computers - solid antivirus, antimalware and firewall, use safe surfing with some additional utilities and browser extensions. :)

#7 APLA01

APLA01
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2015 - 03:43 AM

I already do, In fact I have Hitmanpro, (version 3.7.9 - build 242, set to scan daily with default scan, all settings are turned on.)

Hitmanpro.alert, (Version 3.0.45 build 193, all settings turned on.) And Avast! Free (All shields turned on.)

I have the Avast browser security add-on on my browser, (Chrome) I also have The security hitmanpro.alert gave on my browser, safe browsing, keystroke encryption, exploit mitigation. And i also have Chrome's natural settings to protect me from phishing and malware sites. So yeah i have a lot of protection on my computer, also do you think with all this my computer is safe against malware?

The reason i wanted to have hitmanpro.utm is because it will protect devices that hitmanpro can't go on.

#8 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2015 - 03:47 AM

For antimalware protection I prefer Malwarebytes or Emsisoft, as they prevent malware from infecting your computer in the first place instead of removing them after infection like HitmanPro does.

Most home users that I know don't need a router with specialized antimalware technology, since solid endpoint security is often enough.

#9 APLA01

APLA01
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2015 - 03:50 AM

if your wondering what definitions and program version my Avast! Free is, the program version is 10.3.2223 and the virus definitions are 150718-4 and That is what hitmanpro.alert is for, stopping the virus before it starts to do damage

#10 APLA01

APLA01
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2015 - 03:51 AM

read up on alert if you want to

http://www.surfright.nl/en/alert

#11 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2015 - 03:56 AM

That is what hitmanpro.alert is for, stopping the virus before it starts to do damage

I believe you are talking about CryptoGuard module, which applies only to crypto ransomware. :)

Anyway, how much security is required depends on the end user - what works for one person may not work for another. But honestly a router with antimalware technology is kinda overkill.

#12 APLA01

APLA01
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2015 - 03:59 AM

your right about the router but wrong about alert...

only 3 options of hitmanpro.alert protect browsers (exploit mitigation, keystroke encryption, and safe browsing.) and 1 option for applications, (exploit mitigation.) the rest is for the entire computer...

#13 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2015 - 04:02 AM

your right about the router but wrong about alert...
only 3 options of hitmanpro.alert protect browsers (exploit mitigation, keystroke encryption, and safe browsing.) and 1 option for applications, (exploit mitigation.) the rest is for the entire computer...

I'm not sure what you meant by that?

#14 APLA01

APLA01
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2015 - 04:07 AM

Okay let me explain...

6 options protect the computer from viruses that do not include applications, (Vaccination, CryptoGuard, Webcam notifier, Process Protection, Network Lockdown, BADUSB.) 3 options that protect browsers, (exploit mitigation, safe browsing, keystroke protection.) And 1 option that protects applications (exploit mitigation.)

If you want me to tell you what those options mean, then ask...

#15 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2015 - 04:11 AM

Webcam Notifier is to inform you when an application tries to use your webcam without asking, so I wouldn't count it as protection from malware. Same for BadUSB. :)

Network Lockdown is to prevent malware from sending info back to their C&C, so this applies only when your computer is already infected.

If you have another explanation on how these functionalities work, then by all means please do. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users