Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win10 Pro internet connection bug and solution

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 brainout

brainout

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:21 AM

Posted 18 July 2015 - 10:46 PM

Hi, y'all.  I don't know if this topic belongs in Win10, since it's a bug, or in Networking.   Chose Win10, as you might have this problem too.  I'm up-to-date except for the latest Windows Defender, same build as you are probably on, 10240.  Machine is Dell 6510, 4GB RAM, dual boot 8.1 and 10, else all standard stuff (no special cards, think it has Bluetooth but I never use it, etc).

Here's the bug: all of a sudden, after being idle for more than a day, suddenly Win10 tells me I've no internet connection, even though the Ethernet is plugged in.  So, I opted for its offer to fix the problem, it did that green moving thingy to say it was resolving the problem, and finally it said I didn't have a valid IP Configuration.  Well, I'm on Blast Xfinity, so I knew the IP was fine, same as for all my other machines, so did a cold reboot.  Waited.  Turned on.  Same results.

Turned it off, and THIS time booted it in Win8.1:  internet connection just fine.  So then, did a soft boot, and back into 10.  Internet connection?  Just fine.  So it reset, but I couldn't have done that without dual-boot setup.

Something to keep in mind..

You got any other ideas that might help others?  Because with Win10, being connected is more important than ever. Thank you for your time and your input!

Edited by brainout, 18 July 2015 - 10:49 PM.

(Away, Notifications Off) AUDIT PREMISES, my guidon.  -- brainout or brainouty on vimeo or Youtube, domain brainout.net

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 brainout

brainout
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:21 AM

Posted 22 July 2015 - 06:11 PM

HEADS UP:  Apparently MSFT was already told of the problem, and last night's KB ending in 667 corrected the Ethernet problem. At least, it now works for me, post-update.  Whew. :thumbup2:

(Away, Notifications Off) AUDIT PREMISES, my guidon.  -- brainout or brainouty on vimeo or Youtube, domain brainout.net

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users