Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Mouse not working when booting from Windows CD

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 skypilotpete

skypilotpete

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:32 PM

Posted 18 July 2015 - 09:02 PM

I am trying to make sure that I am able to boot from my Windows 7 CD in the event of needing to do a Windows repair. When I attempt to boot from the CD my mouse stops working at the moment that the initial "Install Windows" options open - e.g. selecting language, country etc. I have observed the red light in my corded optical mouse, and the light is on from the moment I turn my computer on, through the initial startup process, pressing any key to boot from CD, through "loading Windows files", but the moment the Windows options box opens, the red light in my mouse goes out. This means that I am unable to select any of the options or progress further. The only thing I can do is turn the computer off by holding down the power button. I have gone into the UEFI/Bios and checked the USB options. I have tried enabling all of them, including enabling legacy USB and the USB compatability patch, but this does not make any difference.

Can anyone tell me what I can do about this? I need to do some fairly significant registry changes in order to fix a problem I am currently experiencing, and I don't want to do this until I know I can boot from my Windows CD in the event of needing to do a repair.

Speccy Snapshot: http://speccy.piriform.com/results/FTXDnSLGMxKmFvxQWXA3IJV

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,426 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:02 AM

Posted 18 July 2015 - 09:13 PM

I looked at the specs of your motherboard and the back panel has 4 USB 2.0 ports and 4 USB 3.0 ports. The USB  3.0 ports may be blue and USB 2.0 black. USB 3.0 is not natively supported by Windows 7. See if your mouse and keyboard are in the USB 3.0 ports and switch them out to the USB 2.0 ports. That's the only thing I can think of.

#3 skypilotpete

skypilotpete
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2015 - 04:10 AM

Thanks for the suggestion. I really hoped that that would fix it. Unfortunately, even though I made sure that the mouse was in one of the USB2 ports directly into the motherboard, the problem still persists. My only hope now is to get hold of a PS2 mouse and try that.

#4 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,178 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:02 AM

Posted 19 July 2015 - 05:10 AM

Trying a PS/2 mouse is certainly a good approach - remember the PS/2 port is not designed to be hot plugged. A modern board probably has current protection on the port, but some boards can have the port damaged if a device is plugged in or unplugged with the power on.

Another possibility is to try another USB mouse, sometimes for some reason a mouse just isn't quite standard enough.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#5 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 1,136 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2015 - 07:28 AM

You stated after "Pressing Any Key" to boot from CD all goes well , except mouse function.

So if keyboard works why not tab through to what you need to change and hit enter / or add any info.

A Keyboard will do everything - you just dont have a cursor in front of you. 

And i think a PS2 Mouse is also a better option to try.

#6 skypilotpete

skypilotpete
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2015 - 04:05 AM

Thanks for the replies. The PS2 mouse option worked - hooray!

#7 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,178 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2015 - 07:55 AM

Good! Thanks for getting back with the result.

Top 5 things that never get done:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users