Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows explorer performance issue

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#1 OmnisScio

OmnisScio

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:49 AM

Posted 18 July 2015 - 08:18 PM

Recently I have been experience problems on my computer. I'm just going to list the things that are going wrong.

Navigating the D drive often has me waiting a while before it will actually open the folder. I get that green bar slowly moving across the address bar. My C drive seems fine. My C drive is a solid state drive that has windows installed on it. The D drive is a big drive where everything else is stored.

Often a music file playing on winamp will just stop. the controlls wont work and clicking the red x will take a minute or two to take effect.

Opening and saving a file often has a delay.

Starting the computer is now taking longer than usual. It stays on the black screen with the windows icon for longer than it should.

Shutting down the computer now takes a lot longer than it should. It stays on the blue screen (not BSOD) for 5+ minutes.

The has only started happening in the last two days or so.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,226 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:49 AM

Posted 19 July 2015 - 09:46 AM

That could be a number of things -- CPU, memory, or damaged operating system files.

A few things you can try:

Memory: Run the Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Diagnosing-memory-problems-on-your-computer Run the Standard test.

CPU: If you have an Intel processor, you can downloand and run this CPU test http://www.intel.com/support/processors/sb/CS-031726.htm . If you have an AMD processor, you can run the AMD System Monitor http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/AMDSystemMonitor.aspx

Operating system: You can open a command prompt by typing cmd in the Start menu search bar, right click the command prompt window, select Run as administrator, and type in sfc /scannow. If it completes and states if found files it could not repair, then there are corrupt or damaged system files.

After running these tests, report back an error or issues you find.

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,603 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:49 AM

Posted 19 July 2015 - 12:53 PM

If there are files which can not be repaired, please post the sfc /scannow log in your topic.  To access the log do the following.

Click on the Start orb rsz_1rsz_1rsz_start_orb_zpshjewtibd.png then copy and paste the following in the Search programs and files box.

findstr /c:"[SR]" %windir%\logs\cbs\cbs.log >"%userprofile%\Desktop\sfcdetails.txt"

This will place a new icon on the desktop titled sfcdetails.  Double click on this icon to  
the CBS log, copy and paste the log in your topic.

If this fails to place the icon on your desktop run the command from the Command Prompt.  Use the instructions I provided at the start of this tutorial.

This log may be very large, if you have problems posting it try breaking it into smaller parts.  When you copy these parts you will highlight the section you are going to copy.  If you leave that section highlighted it will give you a quick reference for where you left off.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 OmnisScio

OmnisScio
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2015 - 04:48 PM

I'm fairly confident that the problem is some sort of corrupted sector or something on the D drive specifically. Any mp3 or movie files or whatever rarely finish without stopping part way through if played from the D drive, but if I move them to the C drive first, they work fine.

I can play computer games from the D drive without much fuss, but when the game tries to run a movie sequence, it usually stops part way through. 

So, I think the problem is with the hard drive memory of the D drive, how do I fix that?

Also, is it possible that this sort of problem could cause a 15+ minute shut down?  If not then I will try out the things you have mentioned.

Also, thanks for the replies. 

#5 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,226 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2015 - 05:04 PM

F you suspect problems with the D: drive and it's not a solid state drive, open a command prompt, select Run as administrator, and enter ckhdsk D:. Enter chkdsk D: /f if you want checkdisk to fix any errors it finds.

How big is the D: drive? How much free space is on it?

Just to be on the safe side, I would still run the other tests if only to rule them out as possible causes.

#6 OmnisScio

OmnisScio
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2015 - 06:58 PM

The D drive is 1.8 TB in size. It currently has 415 GB free. 

How long would that check disk take? would I be able to do other stuff on the computer while it's doing that?  If not, would I be able to do other stuff that was running off the other drive?

#7 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,226 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2015 - 07:17 PM

That's about 23 percent free space. It's not full, but it may start to affect performance.

You won't be able to do anything while chkdsk is running, and at 800 GB, it will take some time to run. You might want to let it run overnight.

#8 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,226 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2015 - 07:20 PM

Correction: At 1.4 TB, it will take quite some time for chkdsk to run. (My math was off)

#9 OmnisScio

OmnisScio
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2015 - 09:16 AM

I did the chkdsk D: /f command. It did some recovering orphaned files. 

It didn't seem to work. All of the problems listed above persist.

Tomorrow I will try some of those other options.

#10 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,226 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2015 - 09:51 AM

Go ahead and run the other tests; but we may want to run some further diagnostics on the D: drive as well.

Is it an internal hard drive, or external connected by USB? Do you know the make and model of the D: drive?

#11 OmnisScio

OmnisScio
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2015 - 04:32 PM

It's an internal drive.

When I click on properties and go to hardware tab, it has a list of three items:

HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GH22NS50 ATA Device  Type: DVD/CD-ROM drives

INTEL SSDSC2CW120A3 ATA Device  Type: Disk drives

WDC WD20EARX-00PASB0 ATA Device Type: Disk drives

#12 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,226 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2015 - 04:35 PM

I take it the Western Digital is thd D drive?

#13 OmnisScio

OmnisScio
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2015 - 04:57 PM

I believe so. The Intel one says SSDS in its name, that means solid state drive, right? So the other one is the 1.8 TB drive, the one causing problems.

#14 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,226 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2015 - 06:30 PM

That would make sense. You could get a 2 TB solid state hard drive, but it would be prohibitively expensive.

Based on the model number, download this diagnostic tool and run it on the D drive: http://support.wdc.com/product/download.asp?groupid=608&sid=3&lang=en

Read the documentation, and report back with the results. An extended test will likely take quite some time to run, but since chkdsk found some problems, it's probably the test you need to run.

Also, I still recommend running the CPU, memory and system file checker tests as well.

#15 OmnisScio

OmnisScio
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2015 - 04:12 PM

I downloaded and ran that tool you linked. I had it run while I was at work, when I got back it said it still had 12 hours to go (6 hours had elapsed). I let it run overnight. When i woke up, the computer was as if it had just been turned on, so presumably it had reset itself at some point.

The problems persist.

I will do the other tests when I have the time.

Edit: I did the sfc /scannow command. It says that it found corrupt files and that it wasn't able to fix some of them. It then speaks of a .log file that it generated.

I went to that file and found that it was 398,446 Kb in size. When I try to open it, it says access is denied.

Edit 2: I did that findstr thing. A command screen briefly appears and then disappears, then nothing. There's no new item on the desktop.

Edited by OmnisScio, 21 July 2015 - 06:18 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users