Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

TOO MANY anti virus programs on one computer

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 kidd16

kidd16

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:10 AM

Posted 18 July 2015 - 05:41 PM

I have a number of application on my computer and I need to know if this is good or not.

I have adware, kaspersky total security, and combofix, MS Removable tool, and CCleaner. is this too much.

Please help

Edited by computerxpds, 18 July 2015 - 05:43 PM.
Moved from Intros to AV/AM software forum

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JerkyMcDilerino

JerkyMcDilerino

• Banned
  • 241 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:10 AM

Posted 18 July 2015 - 09:10 PM

I have a number of application on my computer and I need to know if this is good or not.

I have adware, kaspersky total security, and combofix, MS Removable tool, and CCleaner. is this too much.

Please help

Brother, you have an adware on your system you better get rid of it, i don't know if you actually means Adwcleaner or the actual "ADWARE", and Combofix is not a ANTIVIRUS, it's a anti malware removal tool use to remove infections that already penetrate your system defense this also apply to MS Removable Tool as well, and ccleaner it's just a junk files/folders cleaner not an ANTIVIRUS/ANTIMALWARE. 

Edited by JerkyMcDilerino, 18 July 2015 - 09:12 PM.

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,592 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:10 AM

Posted 18 July 2015 - 09:41 PM

Kaspersky Internet Security is the only anti-virus in your list. However, for reference you can read the IMPORTANT NOTE about not using more than one anti-virus program in this topic.

The Malicious Software Removal Tool (MSRT) is a free virus removal tool from Microsoft which is updated monthly but only scans for and removes a limited number of specific malware families. While it is not a comprehensive tool, keep in mind that not all security tools look for the same thing so using more than one may result in detection of malware the others may miss. ComboFix is a specialized first responder tool that has the ability to deal with multiple malware infections and has built in removal functionality which makes it very powerful. Combofix is intended by its creator to do two things: 1) automatically remove known infections and 2) provide a detailed system report similar to DDS that a trained expert can use to further investigate and remove malicious files and registry entries.

ComboFix is a specialized first responder tool that has the ability to deal with multiple malware infections and has built in removal functionality which makes it very powerful. Combofix is intended by its creator to do two things: 1) automatically remove known infections and 2) provide a detailed system report similar to DDS that a trained expert can use to further investigate and remove malicious files and registry entries. ComboFix is safe to use by someone trained in how to use it or when following instructions provided by a trained expert helper (see here) who is assisting them deal with a malware problem. Combofix was never meant to be used as a general purpose malware scanner like SuperAntispyware or Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware which scan individual drives or different folders on a computer for malware.

FYI: An anti-virus program alone does not provide comprehensive protection and cannot prevent, detect and remove all threats at any given time. Anti-virus and anti-malware programs each perform different tasks as it relates to computer security and threat detection. Essentially, they look for and remove different types of malicious threats. However, there can be some overlap in functionality and detection features depending on the program's scanning engine, how the vendor defines a specific threat and what Naming Standards are used. Anti-virus software is inherently reactive...meaning it usually finds malware after a computer has been infected. The security community is in a constant state of change as new infections appear and it takes time for them to be reported, samples collected, analyzed, and tested by anti-virus researchers before they can add a new threat to database definitions. Further, if you're dealing with zero-day malware it's unlikely the anti-virus is going to detect anything.In simplistic terms, Anti-virus programs generally scan for infectious malware which includes viruses, worms, Trojans, rootkis and bots.

Anti-malware programs generally tend to focus more on adware, spyware, unwanted toolbars, browser hijackers, potentially unwanted programs and potentially unsafe applications.

Therefore, you need both an anti-virus and an anti-malware solution for maximum protection.Please read Supplementing your Anti-Virus Program with Anti-Malware Tools
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users