Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer recognizes 16GB of RAM but computer only uses 8GB

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 CH_BR_106

CH_BR_106

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:32 PM

Posted 18 July 2015 - 05:27 PM

Specs:

GIGABYTE Z87X-UD3H

Intel Core i5-4670K Processor

16GB (2x8) Corsair Vengeance

Windows 8 x64 

My computer recognizes I have 16 GB of RAM and says 15.9GB is usable, but when i'm doing work on it I see in the control panel that it hits 8GB and then its at 100% of the RAM capactiy. whats the deal?

Someone said maybe Windows is reserving it for hardware. But half of it?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,189 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:32 PM

Posted 18 July 2015 - 07:13 PM

Welcome

[just a guess]

Could it be that you're only seeing the stats on one core? I know I get an alert when a core goes to 100% even if the rest of them are still loafing along at less than 50%

Dick

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

#3 blarg214

blarg214

• Members
  • 146 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:32 PM

Posted 18 July 2015 - 07:45 PM

When you installed the Ram did you make sure to put it in the right slots? Some motherboards are picking about what order you put ram in.  Especially when it comes to dual channel.  It's not much but sometimes that can cause funky problems like that. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users