Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

JRT collateral damage to IObit products - Windows Repair

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 GLykos

GLykos

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:36 AM

Posted 18 July 2015 - 04:16 PM

This is to advise that as of not too long ago, JRT started clobbering the whole IObit product suite.

Specifically:

Smart Defrag - deletes the Windows startup entry.

Advanced Systemcare - pokes holes in this somewhat finicky complex package that make it difficult to uninstall/reinstall or otherwise get working again.

Driver Booster - wipes out the program folder, leaving whatever it was connected to (registry, files) floating in orbit - presumably, then reinstalling the program reconnects the loose pieces.

IObit is widely-used commercial software.  If there are issues with their stuff that threaten Windows operation and security, then I expect they would be very interested in being made aware.

On as separate note, wish to spotlight Windows Repair (All In One) by/at Tweaking.com.  Just discovered it while struggling to correct a registry owner/permissions issue caused by malware some months back and it is impressive.  There is a free version available and a "Pro" upgrade available.  Intuitive and self-documenting, professionally polished, easy to use, and best of all, gets the job done!

Cheers!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:36 PM

Posted 18 July 2015 - 04:26 PM

Hi there,

You might want to read this and this regarding Advanced System Care, and this regarding Driver Booster.

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,588 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:36 PM

Posted 18 July 2015 - 04:51 PM

Driver Updaters: Digital Snake Oil, Part 2
PUP makers, Digital Snake Oil Part 3

Further, I do not trust IObit products due to the vendor's past dubious practices in regards to stealing from Malwarebytes.

For those not aware of issues with regards to IOBit (EvonSoft.com) products, please read:PC Mag: IObit Security 360 Review

Poor malware removal left many executables, some actually still running. Poor malware blocking did not prevent installation of malware. By default, installation changes your homepage and search provider...it just doesn't do the job of removing malware or preventing malware installation.

Although, the Malwarebytes team no longer has an issue with IObit, the vendor's dubious methods would not warrant a recommendation from me to use or trust their software. Further, IOBIT has even been placed into the Installers Hall of Shame for bundling toolbars.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#4 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2015 - 04:54 PM

Registry Cleaners, Digital Snake Oil - Malwarebytes Unpacked

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,588 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2015 - 04:57 PM

Registry Cleaners, Digital Snake Oil - Malwarebytes Unpacked

That one is in the first link you provided above...I added it a while back. :wink:

#6 GLykos

GLykos
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2015 - 09:35 PM

Wow.

1.  The three IObit packages that I use are mentioned above.  They do not include any third-party programs.  Two of those three did offer to install some IObit products (only) such as IObit Uninstaller.  The third didn't give the opportunity to opt-out, but the other product was easily and independently uninstalled.  Hard to blame a vendor for promoting their own products.  Seems more legitimate to me than the ubiquitous Chrome (set as default browser!) and Google Toolbar opt-in-by-default installations that seem to be bundled into EVERYTHING of late, where the vendor likely gets a per-instance commission.  So briefly, to my awareness, the IObit "bundling" accusation mentioned above is baloney in my understanding of and experience with such.

2.  It's hard to imagine someone taking it upon themself to publish and promote for public use a self-help program purporting to rid a computer of unknown and unwanted infestations and hide inside it something that sabotages a recognized vendor's programs (in a half-baked fashion at that).  Can you name one other such program in the entire sector that (surreptiously or otherwise) attacks (or even flags) IObit products?  Also, in searching just now, notice other users questionning in your forum what exactly these four programs do, how they are complementary and/or overlap, about JRT changes being presented for opt-in before being made (like everyone else does), and a (same notion) reporting-only option.

3.  There's explicit mention above of theft (or similar) from Malwarebytes. If Malwarebytes doesn't take issue with it, then what pray tell are you doing?  Am not a lawyer, but such public accusations sound defamatory and libelous, and the strident tone suggests a deep nerve was hit.  Sorry if the case - I hear the sizzle, but where's the beef?  C'mon.  Would imagine that Malwarebytes would likely be concerned if/when they discover that someone they are now apparently sponsoring on their site is doing 1-3 above in a very visible way.  Suggest asking someone in a responsible at Malwarebytes for an opinion.

4.  Attempted to share something very useful that I came across, namely Windows Repair. It seems to pretty comprehensively and effectively address damage done by malware etc.  I don't believe Bleeping Computer prescribed protocol of RKill, AdwCleaner, JRT, and ComboFix does much if anything in this respect - at least it didn't help me with my registry issue mentioned above.  Sure would have been nice to have it (and other programs you were already aware of) mentioned for reference on Bleeping Computer.  Don't see any acknowledgement of it in any of the replies above.

Will take your assertion that you all are trying to help the user community at face value, and thank you for your efforts.  The aspects mentioned above appear to this man-in-the-street to be inconsistent with that mission.

Regards,

George

#7 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,588 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2015 - 10:02 PM

George, yes we are trying to help the user community.

Putting aside any information regarding IObit itself as a software vendor...the fact remains that registry cleaners, drive optimizers and the like are not recommended as noted in several of the links above.

As such, that is why Bleeping Computer does not recommend them...Why you should not use Registry Cleaners and Optimization Tools

JRT (Junkware Removal Tool) is a non-interactive batch program created by thisisu (a member of the BC Malware Response Team) that is designed to search for and remove many potentially unwanted programs (PUPs), adware, toolbars, browser hijackers, browser extensions, add-ons/plug-ins, browser helper objects (BHOs) and other junkware. JRT will remove all traces of these types of programs which includes related services, registry entries (values, keys), files, folders and potentially unwanted extensions. JRT will also restore some default settings for Internet Explorer, Mozilla FireFox and Google Chrome. JRT automatically removes whatever it finds...there are no options to skip or ignore detections and no option to backup/restore removed items.

Further, the decision as to what specialzed tools like JRT target is up to the developer with input and discussion from malware removal experts at various forums such as this one.

BTW, you may want to read these topics...
MalwareBytes acquires Junkware Removal Tool to take a stronger stance at PUPs
Malwarebytes Acquires Junkware Removal Tool

Tweaking.com - Windows Repair Tool (All In One) was designed to help fix common Windows problems such as file permissions, issues with Internet Explorer, Windows Update, Windows Firewall, etc caused by malware after the infection has been removed. We often refer our members to use it and host a download link.

#8 GLykos

GLykos
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2015 - 12:20 AM

Thanks for your reply.  A couple of items in closing:

1.  Quietman7, are you Philipos Mouliatis, identified in the Malwarebytes blog post by Marcin Kleczynski on June 22 announcing the acquisiion of JRT?

2.  If so, are you (still) the publishing author of JRT with full discretion over what third-party software JRT targets?

3.  http://thisisudax.org/ is JRT's information page listing targeted software.  Its download link is apparently updated, but not the list - IObit is absent, and is not trivial.

4.  The announcement indicates that JRT will be discontinued when its desired technology has been incorporated into MBAM, so the matter of JRT use and behavior will become moot.  In the meantime, the user community will have to discover through use what is currently targeted.

Regards,

George

#9 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2015 - 12:42 AM

To answer your question, Philipos is known here and in other forums as thisisu. For the last three it's best that you wait for answer from thisisu himself.

#10 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,588 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2015 - 05:26 AM

An example list of what is detected & removed can be found here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users