Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't formate SD card using SD USB.

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 CalusBlade

CalusBlade

• Members
  • 538 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:29 AM

Posted 18 July 2015 - 03:53 PM

So I just got my new sd card and I need to format it to use it.  I put it into my SC USB (also new) and tried to format it.  It won't let me.  When I try to format it form my computer, it says "windows was unable to complete the formate.  When I go to computer manager, I get "format did not complete sucessfully".  I even tried using a program called SDFormatter and it says that it is write protected.  How do I format it?

Edit:  Its a mirco SD not a SD.

Edited by CalusBlade, 18 July 2015 - 06:05 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,289 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:29 AM

Posted 18 July 2015 - 04:19 PM

Is there a tab on the side of the card that you can move?

bea21a9.jpg

#3 blarg214

blarg214

• Members
  • 146 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:29 PM

Posted 18 July 2015 - 04:19 PM

On your card there is a little white plastic slider.  In one position it should say locked and the other it should say unlocked.  When it is in the locked position it makes it where you cant write to it.  So double check that. 

#4 CalusBlade

CalusBlade
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 538 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2015 - 06:05 PM

Is there a tab on the side of the card that you can move?

bea21a9.jpg

I mess up a bit. When I ment SD card, it was the mirco SD card that goes into a USB which in result goes into my computer.

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,289 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2015 - 06:27 PM

Is the card going into a camera? The camera should have a format command. See if using the Diskpart command will let you format the card. Make sure your selected disk is your SD card and not your hard drive as all data will be wiped from the disk.

#6 CalusBlade

CalusBlade
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 538 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2015 - 07:11 PM

Is the card going into a camera? The camera should have a format command. See if using the Diskpart command will let you format the card. Make sure your selected disk is your SD card and not your hard drive as all data will be wiped from the disk.

Its not going into a camera.  its going into a tablet.  I tried it and it didn't work.

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,289 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2015 - 07:35 PM

Does the table itself allow one to format the SD card? 

Does the following Diskpart commands work.

On Windows Vista or later type CMD in the search box. Right click > Run as Administrator, At the prompt type the following followed by enter

Diskpart

list disk

select disk X   where X is the number of your SD card. Make sure you have this correct.

clean         this will wipe the SD card. If this command fails you can go no further

create partition primary

format fs=fat32 quick

exit

#8 CalusBlade

CalusBlade
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 538 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2015 - 07:47 PM

Does the table itself allow one to format the SD card? 

Does the following Diskpart commands work.

On Windows Vista or later type CMD in the search box. Right click > Run as Administrator, At the prompt type the following followed by enter

Diskpart

list disk

select disk X   where X is the number of your SD card. Make sure you have this correct.

clean         this will wipe the SD card. If this command fails you can go no further

create partition primary

format fs=fat32 quick

exit

I did that too however, I'm not sure what I did but I got it to format.  I went to explore the mircoSD I saw something pop up that looked like systemreadyboot or something like that and it disappeared.  I then tried to create a folder and it worked. . .not sure what happened.

Edit:  Now it is bleeping out on me.  It reads it on my computer and then it turns off saying its not there. . . .I think I bought a defective product.

Edit:  I tested it on my tablet and phone.  It says "SD card is Blank or has unsupported files systems" .  I tried to format through them as well but it doesn't work.

Edited by CalusBlade, 18 July 2015 - 08:18 PM.

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,289 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2015 - 07:59 PM

So the SD card is now formatted and working? I am not familiar with systemreadyboot. There is a Readyboot. I am not sure why it would pop up like that though.

#10 CalusBlade

CalusBlade
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 538 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2015 - 08:45 PM

So the SD card is now formatted and working? I am not familiar with systemreadyboot. There is a Readyboot. I am not sure why it would pop up like that though.

nope.  I starting to believe my product is defective.  I updated my previous post.

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,289 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2015 - 09:03 PM

It sure sounds like the card is defective. I would RMA it if possible.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users