Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

UPS: is it still good?

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 The Man from Oahu

The Man from Oahu

• Members
  • 192 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:35 AM

Posted 18 July 2015 - 12:00 PM

Hi guys,

I have had an APC Smart-UPS stored for the last 3 or 4 years. It has never been used (don't ask why, it's a very long story). Now I want to put it into use with my new PC.
I just read the User Manual, it says the bettery should be recharged every 6 months. I never did it.
Questions:
- is it safe to use it after all these years?
- should I replace the battery?

Any comment or advice will be appreciated.
Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,294 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:35 PM

Posted 18 July 2015 - 12:13 PM

It would be perfectly safe. On a new APC UPS the battery needs to be attached to the two leads. I would let the battery charge for 24 hours before putting a load on the UPS. After 24 hours plug in your equipment. If after a while you get beeping from the UPS it means you need a new battery. If you have a test button you can press that when all the equipment is running and if it doesn't beep you are good to go. If not, they you will need to purchase a new battery.

#3 The Man from Oahu

The Man from Oahu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 192 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2015 - 12:33 PM

Hi John,

I just replied to you on the other thread (about the Red 2TB).

Thanks for helping me here too.

So, if I understand it correctly, there is no risk of damaging the PC, right?

- should I check the battery for leaks or something else?

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,294 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2015 - 12:41 PM

You can check for leaks but the only way a UPS battery would leak is if it is cracked as they are all sealed. Yes, you will not damage the computer. I had a computer plugged into a UPS with a bad battery for awhile and the beeping was driving me crazy. You would lose battery backup and voltage regulation if the UPS is with a dead battery. It depends on the model if you have AVR. You could still attach the computer to the surge protection outlet of the UPS and be covered for any surges. The UPS should have one side as battery backup and the other as surge protection only. What is the model number of the APC.

Edit: the battery is automatically charged when the UPS is plugged into an outlet. APC probably was saying the battery should be charged every 6 months if the UPS is unplugged and inactive. Hopefully your battery is okay after being charged.

Edited by JohnC_21, 18 July 2015 - 12:43 PM.

#5 The Man from Oahu

The Man from Oahu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 192 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2015 - 01:00 PM

The model number is SMT1000I.

APC probably was saying the battery should be charged every 6 months if the UPS is unplugged and inactive

Sorry, I didn't get it. The UPS was unplugged and inactive.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,294 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2015 - 01:03 PM

I think what APC meant is lets say you attached the two wires to the battery then for some reason you unplugged the UPS and left it off for some reason. Then you would need to charge the battery every 6 months by plugging the UPS into an outlet. I guess you could also pull the battery and charge it with a 500milliamp or 1 amp battery charger. I still have a couple of old UPS batteries that I charge every so often.

#7 The Man from Oahu

The Man from Oahu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 192 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2015 - 01:15 PM

Oh, I see.

I think I'll have to take the plunge and try it out.

#8 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,828 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:35 PM

Posted 18 July 2015 - 05:01 PM

I'd want to take a peak inside to insure there's nothing leaking from the battery cell/s.  Hate to have you plug it in and send up smoke signals because the battery was shorted.  Stored for that period still calls for a good look first.

#9 The Man from Oahu

The Man from Oahu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 192 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2015 - 10:13 AM

Yeah, I think I'll check the battery.

#10 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,828 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2015 - 12:31 PM

Many of the smaller units (above1500 VA) used a gel type cell.  These were excellent choice but the plastic cases will become brittle and crack over time.  The electrolyte is corrosive.  The cells are pretty common, even in the newer motorcycles so replacements with the same dimensions are readily available.

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,294 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2015 - 03:33 PM

I got my replacement from ebay though a company called Gruber. They have excellent customer service. One of my batteries failed within the warranty period and they sent be a new one no questions asked and I didn't even have to send in the defective one. You may find it cheaper to source one on the island (if you do live on Oahu) if you need a new one.

#12 The Man from Oahu

The Man from Oahu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 192 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2015 - 02:49 PM

@mjd420nova

Got it. I'll check the battery.

@JohnC_21

:) I don't live in Hawaii. As a matter of fact I couldn't live farther probably.

I'd really like to live there, and I thought it was a cool nickname.

#13 softeyes

softeyes

• Members
  • 1,586 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2015 - 03:21 PM

Aloha (pretend!)

Here is a link for the technical spec's on your model: http://www.apc.com/products/resource/include/techspec_index.cfm?base_sku=SMT1000&tab=models

You will need to scroll down.

#14 The Man from Oahu

The Man from Oahu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 192 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2015 - 06:37 AM

Mahalo ;)

#15 The Man from Oahu

The Man from Oahu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 192 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2015 - 08:21 AM

I managed to open the UPS but I wasn't able to detach the cables from the battery (I can't grasp them firmly and maybe I don't have enough strenght in my fingers), so I slid it out as far as I could.

Everything seems ok to me, there is no sign of leak.

I think I'll plug it in and see what happens.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users