Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is csrss.exe a virus?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Bokeh

Bokeh

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:10 PM

Posted 18 July 2015 - 11:55 AM

I have found several topics about this exact issue. I wasn't sure whether or not I could follow those steps on my system to resolve my issue. In my Windows Task Manager I have a listing for csrss.exe. Under user name and the description tabs the entry is blank. When I right click it I get the normal pop-up menu where I can select, "Open File Location". When I left click on "Open File Location" nothing happens, and this occurs only with this file. I don't know whether or not this next thing is related. Whenever I shut down my PC it always says a program is running, with the force shut down selection. It closes right away, but it doesn't list the name of the file that it's try to close. If this isn't relevant, then I apologize. I use Norton 360 and Malwarebyte. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 severac

severac

• Members
  • 872 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:10 AM

Posted 18 July 2015 - 12:31 PM

Hello,

I don't think that you should worry about csrss.exe. 

The same here.

http://fotkica.com/slike.php?slika=1_479081506_sc1.jpg

Edited by severac, 18 July 2015 - 12:35 PM.

I would like to help you to remove malware. Let's look inside.   :busy:

But I don't know to solve all PC problems.  :smash: 

#3 Bokeh

Bokeh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2015 - 01:24 PM

Thank you for the quick response and help. There's so much conflicting information out there that I usually just come to this site. I'll not worry about it, then.

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,119 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2015 - 05:46 PM

You have to be careful when conducting searches on the Internet as there is a lot of useless and misinformation out there. Scammers take advantage of uninformed folks and entice them into downloading junk software using gimmicks, false claims and other deceptive advertising. When performing search queries, always check multiple sources to confirm the information provided is consistent and essentially the same.

When searching for suspicious files, new malware or malware removal assistance (and removal guides) on the Internet, it is not unusual to find numerous hits from untrustworthy and scam sites which mis-classify detections or provide misleading information. This is deliberately done more as a scam to entice folks into buying an advertised fix or removal tool. In some cases if the fix is a free download, users may be enticed to download dubious software, malicious files or even be redirected to a malicious web site. In other cases you are referred to contact the site's Tech Support for assistance which is only provided for a fee and many times the actual amount is not disclosed until after you have committed yourself. The scammers may even talk you into giving them remote access to your computer (and by extension, all your private data and personal information).
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users