Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Word 2010 Document Corrupt Header/TOC information

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 danushnazar

danushnazar

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:51 AM

Posted 18 July 2015 - 11:13 AM

Hello experts, I have a word file that appears to have been corrupted. We were working on it through SharePoint and at some point the style information seems to have been corrupted. When you use the style inspector and click on a location in the text it will say the correct information. For example a level 2 heading will look and appear as a level 2 heading in the text and have the correct style attached. However, when you use the navigation pane or create a table of contents nothing is indented as it should be (level 2 is not subordinate to level 1). I have read that there are table of contents styles in Word but I don't know how to change these. Does anyone know if this would fix the issue?

I tried manually to 'reset' a few styles (highlight text and reclick 'level 2 header' ) which fixed the issue in that instance. However, this is a long document (150 pages) and I wouldn't want to do this for the whole document.

If anyone has some advice it would be greatly appreciated,​

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jamiegardner

jamiegardner

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:51 AM

Posted 19 July 2015 - 12:51 PM

Couple things you do, first apply guide below and second make use https://www.repairtoolbox.com/wordrepair.html Word Repair Toolbox

Moreover you read next interesting threads about ms word-

http://www.instructables.com/answers/Corrupt-word-file-says-to-use-text-converter/

http://forum.codecall.net/topic/79058-when-i-attempt-to-open-a-word-document-i-get-a-error-message/

The first thing you must do is copy the file from the stick to the HD. Don't make matters worse by trying to work with it from the stick. There's a possibility the document is already corrupted, but the problem you describe may not really be document corruption. It may be just an annoying little glitch occasionally seen in older versions of Word, whereby letters in a line get compacted in printing:

The conventional solution is this:

In the Print dialog, switch to another printer and then back, or close Word and delete the files you find by searching for

~$*.*;*.tmp

Then restart Word.

If that doesn't help, then, since this is Word 2003, there are a couple of other things you can try:

In Word's Open dialog, select the file, click the arrow beside Open, and choose Open and Repair.

If that doesn't help, then change the "Files of type" setting to "Recover Text from Any File." You'll get a file with a lot of "garbage" at the beginning and end and just plain text in between, but, since I'm guessing there's not a whole lot of formatting involved in this document, just recovering the text would probably be a help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users