Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Newly Built Computer.. Drives Arn't Recognized.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Idaman323

Idaman323

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:49 AM

Posted 11 July 2006 - 12:12 AM

Okay... so... I got all this stuff for the computer.... Mobo, Processor, Graphics, CD Drive, Hard Drive, Floppy Drive, Montior..... All the cables and what not...

So everything got hooked up... Cd drive has an IDE cable going to the Primary IDE on the mobo, Hardrive is going to secondary IDE on mobo. The floppy is going the the floppy IDE thing..

When I attempt to open the Drive to put in the OS cd then the drive does not open. The light does not even come on. The BIOS does not recognize neither the hard drive nor the CD drive.. only the floppy.... I have the cables in the right way and the two drives are being powered by the 4-pin Molex connectors... Im confused.. and frusterated... not sure what would do it.. but any help is appreciated...

Thanks,
Idaman323

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 legoman786

legoman786

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:49 PM

Posted 11 July 2006 - 12:28 AM

Number one... Why do you have the HDD going to the secondary IDE slot? It always has to be in the primary slot.

Number two... Have you set the jumpers correctly? Sometomes if the jumper for the main drive on one cable is for slave setting, then it will not be recognized.

P.S.: If I felt like I was flaming you for being an uber noob, then I apologize.

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.
- Rick Cook

#3 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:49 PM

Posted 11 July 2006 - 12:32 AM

First off let me welcome you to Bleeping Computer.
Second. Did you use thermal paste between your processor and heatsink. That is a big Oops and can cause you to burn out your processor.
The apparent problem is your drives. EIDE Primary controller should have your Master and Slave hard drives only. Your Secondary EIDE controller should have your Master DVD\CD and Slave DVD\CD.
Never mix hard drives and other devices on the same EIDE bus. This will bring your hard drive to a crawl.
If your are having trouble with your drives try placing the jumpers on the rear of the drives to Cable Select instead of Slave. You will still need to have the first drive as Master on each bus.

Primary EIDE bus
Master Hard drive
Slave Hard Drive

Secondary EIDE bus
Master DVD or CD
Slave DVD or CD
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#4 Idaman323

Idaman323
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:49 AM

Posted 11 July 2006 - 01:26 AM

Got it...

The EIDE cable had the center one saying "slave" and so I was hooking up the end on in the drives... so I put the drive in the middle one and it worked....

And I switched a HD jumper to make it the master.... :/ I knew itd be somethin easy..

Thanks you!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users