Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How Secure Is Windows 10 Edge

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 sikntired

sikntired

• Members
  • 1,022 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:30 PM

Posted 18 July 2015 - 09:09 AM

Like many others I use Internet Explorer and have installed SpywareBlaster as well. Some use MBAE. We all are concerned about  browser exploitation of vulnerabilities. Just how secure is Edge given the persistence of modern day malware writers and is it advisable to continue with programs as noted above to lessen chances of downloading malicious programs.

I read with interest Brainout's assessment of Edge here:  http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/582821/11-tips-and-tricks-for-microsoft-edge-on-windows-10-via-howtogeek/

and was wondering how security was being addressed with the RTM of build 10240.

This may have been discussed earlier however I have not found any in-depth articles or recent discussion. The only thing mentioned is that Edge will be more secure??  How??

sikntired

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,670 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:30 PM

Posted 18 July 2015 - 09:12 AM

There's a whole article on Microsoft Blog that explains in details how Microsoft Edge will be safer than Internet Explorer.

http://blogs.windows.com/msedgedev/2015/05/11/microsoft-edge-building-a-safer-browser/

Plus the fact that they are kicking out BHOs and ActiveX will also improve their browser's security by a lot since these two are often exploited.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 3,048 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:30 PM

Posted 18 July 2015 - 11:22 AM

Edge will be more secure than IE, it is probably be a little less secure than google chrome or mozilla firefox would be in their default configurations, it will be significantly less secure than chrome or firefox would be if the user set plugins to "click to play"/"ask to activate", edge is vastly less secure than firefox with noscript. If add-ons are available for edge, and if a script blocker becomes available for it, and an adblocker then edge could be about equally secure to any other browser with a scriptblocking add-on/extension.

Whether edge will STAY secure depends on how widely it is used, exploit kit developers try and develop attacks which will compromise software which is on the highest number of machines, that way there are more possible vitims than if rare software was exploited, therefore the most common browser will be the one which exploit kits do their best to attack. If edge is as widely used in future as IE is now it will certainy be something exploit kit makers WANT to find vulnerabilities in, whether they WILL find them remains to be seen.

Edited by rp88, 18 July 2015 - 11:22 AM.

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#4 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,670 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2015 - 11:23 AM

Microsoft Edge will definitely become the target of exploiters. If a lot of users upgrade to Windows 10, Edge will be the default browser there and a lot of people will move to it from Internet Explorer, which will give a good reason to hackers to include exploiting Edge in their plans.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#5 sikntired

sikntired
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,022 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:30 PM

Posted 18 July 2015 - 05:35 PM

Thanks for the input and the link to MS blog concerning Edge. Hopefully the "good guys" will expose any vulnerabilities. However rationale dictates that Edge will be attacked, probably as much as IE, if not more so.

Regards............

#6 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,670 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2015 - 05:42 PM

And I'm sure that Microsoft Edge will soon be included in the Hacking Competitions and hackers that finds exploits in it will be rewarded quite well :)

unite_blue.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users